WMATA has posted under WMATA.com , careers, job openings for their Elevator/Escalator Apprenticeship program.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    1693923897791.jpeg
    1693923897791.jpeg

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I have a nephew that went through that program several years ago and it seems to have turned out very well for him. Both financially and character wise.

The only time I see him is at the rare family event on that side so I can’t ask him any questions but from what I’ve observed and what my mom tells me, it turned him from a kid with no prospects into a man with very valuable skill sets.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ****It's not an easy job, but it pays quite well even as an apprentice. I know someone who does this and they did not have much schooling, nor other marketable skills but he fixes/rebuilds escalators and is *never* not in demand. The experience he is getting will allow him to work for public or private business and companies like Target, Dicks, etc... pay decent money for guys that have the skills to keep their escalators running.

There are worse jobs for a lot less money for sure. Beats being a Meth whore, or even an apprentice Meth whore who often make decent money but have high expenses due to their teeth falling out of their head, plus the skin sores, etc...

I'd rather fix escalators and elevators if just marrying some rich widow for money wasn't an option, or other skillset like stand up philosopher, snack food taste tester, or nipple tweaker for Victoria Secret models, etc.. wasn't possible.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    They are always posting for this.
    That is not a correct statement. We may post a recruitment for Apprentices once a year at most. This program is exactly the opportunity that Mike Rowe references in regard to building a great well paying career without accumulating massive school loan debt.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    That is not a correct statement. We may post a recruitment for Apprentices once a year at most. This program is exactly the opportunity that Mike Rowe references in regard to building a great well paying career without accumulating massive school loan debt.
    Indeed. Seems like it's here more often than that, which is a shame. I'd love to be in my thing 20'sv and get into this.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Be best to secure the job first, before worrying about overtime.
    My oldest who is only 12 has high functioning autism, not sure I’m sold on college being the best route for him so I’m thinking something along these lines would make for a solid career. Just wondering if there’s opportunities to make even more.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Be best to secure the job first, before worrying about overtime.

In this instance , it's the other way around . You will need to be willing to do lots of manditory OT , the ELES department is always understaffed with big backlogs .

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    In this instance , it's the other way around . You will need to be willing to do lots of manditory OT , the ELES department is always understaffed with big backlogs .
    Where, or where do you get this from? Certainly not from facts. There is not "lots of mandatory overtime". Plenty of work, not mandatory overtime.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    . Just wondering if there’s opportunities to make even more.

Existing employees within L689 Maintaince & Construction div get preference for any openings with the technical fields .

The people who transfer out don't do so because of the $ ( they have essentially unlimited OT ). They transfer to have more time off for work/ life balance .

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    My oldest who is only 12 has high functioning autism, not sure I’m sold on college being the best route for him so I’m thinking something along these lines would make for a solid career. Just wondering if there’s opportunities to make even more.
    If inflation stays on the same track, opportunities to make more may be there. Of course eggs will be $20 a dozen.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Existing employees within L689 Maintaince & Construction div get preference for any openings with the technical fields .

The people who transfer out don't do so because of the $ ( they have essentially unlimited OT ). They transfer to have more time off for work/ life balance .
    Where do you get this information from, because it is not true at all. Technicians may seek out positions of supervisor, management or inspections but I know of no one who have left the department for other departments. Please stop spreading falsehoods. This post is for those looking for a good solid career.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    I say this every time the opening is posted, this is a great career field for a young man with a strong back, a good work ethic, and mechanical inclination.

I would encourage my kids to pursue this if I had sons.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    A career with lots of upward mobility ;-)

We have a member in the fire dept. who retired from this in his early 50s. Seems to pay reasonably well and I never heard him bitching about his work. Different from things like elevator erector, it's very steady work. There is so much infrastructure at Metro that just routine maintenance would keep the crews busy. Good trade as it cuts across different fields. Mechanical/hydraulics, electrical, controls.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I say this every time the opening is posted, this is a great career field for a young man with a strong back, a good work ethic, and mechanical inclination.

I would encourage my kids to pursue this if I had sons.
    We have several women that have graduated from our Apprenticeship. Of those several, many have been promoted to supervisory and management positions. Matter of fact, I think most of the supervisors and managers are former Apprentices.

rondon600

Mar 16, 2009
    If there are no openings at Kone/thyssen/Otis et all this would be a good stepping stone. Starting young and sticking with you’ll retire very well. So long as you keep all of your appendages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom