with NICS now accepting handgun apps from MD dealers, why are ffls not utilizing.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You cannot transfer two firearms on different dates by using the 4473. It's why ffl's would have you fill out two 4473's on the same day if you were buying an 870 and an m&p. They'd submit the 77r1,2 &3 to the state police along with the 4473 with the m&p on it...and the they'd take the 4473 with the 870 on it and call in an fbi nics check. They'd write the NTN on that 4473(with the 870 and the box for "long gun" checked). If the check came back with a proceed, the representative from the ffl would then sign and date the third page of the 4473 to record when the transfer took place.

The 4473 with the regulated firearm would still need it's own ntn and the ffl rep would need to sign and date when that transfer took place.

THIS

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The NICS PHONE System has allowed me to perform a NICS Check on a Handgun. I did several on Saturday at Scotts Gunsmithing. In the past they DID NOT ALLOW a NICS from a MD FFL for a Handgun, they are now, at least for us, on Saturdays. I cant speak for during the week because Im not there.

Some MD FFL's are claiming the NICS is rejecting their Electronic and Phone NICS attempts for handguns. Im not sure what to believe, but I KNOW I can do it and the way we are doing it does not violate any State, Local, or Federal Law. The MSP will likely try to spank every dealer who releases before the MSP gives a Blessing, but well cross that bridge when needed.

A MD FFL MUST, I REPEAT MUST allow the MSP to do their job FIRST if they have a Regulated Forearms License.

We did not use the NICS to run a Handgun to bypass the MSP, it was done ONLY AFTER the 7 Days Elapsed to add a layer of security to ensure we are not releasing to a Prohibited Person. We have other qualifiers a person must meet if they opt to not wait 100+ days for the MSP to do a background check.

Chad thanks for the clarification.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My "new" FFL was explaining to me how he had been unable to get phone NICS. After he invested in the capability to do so online , he is receiving NICS numbers. (My) observing of the situation currently being influx on near daily basis , leads me to wonder if this was a accidental coincidence of timing or ??

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Just to throw out another speculative variable into the cauldron.

There are FFLs out there who look at the post Oct 1 environment , and realize that their business model will no longer be anywhere near viable. At least some of them realize it , and form exit stratagies. Concern over MSP harassment is a much smaller factor when you won't be in the firearms business next year.

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    Dealers are caught between a rock and a hard place on this one. They can piss off their customer base and most likely lose a large amount of their future income, or they can piss of MSP and possibly face the wrath of MSP down the road. If I were an FFL in this situation, I think I would take door #2. Without any future customers, they don't need to worry about how pissed off MSP is toward them.
    of course, if you lose your business over it thanks to MSP, you're not going to have customers either. so they may decide to cover themselves on it.

i see it both ways, really, but some of this is us as customers just wanting what we paid for NOW and thus not worrying so much about what the FFL's specific concerns are.

yournamehere

Feb 27, 2013
    Carroll County
    The NICS PHONE System has allowed me to perform a NICS Check on a Handgun. I did several on Saturday at Scotts Gunsmithing. In the past they DID NOT ALLOW a NICS from a MD FFL for a Handgun, they are now, at least for us, on Saturdays. I cant speak for during the week because Im not there.

Some MD FFL's are claiming the NICS is rejecting their Electronic and Phone NICS attempts for handguns. Im not sure what to believe, but I KNOW I can do it and the way we are doing it does not violate any State, Local, or Federal Law. The MSP will likely try to spank every dealer who releases before the MSP gives a Blessing, but well cross that bridge when needed.

A MD FFL MUST, I REPEAT MUST allow the MSP to do their job FIRST if they have a Regulated Forearms License.

We did not use the NICS to run a Handgun to bypass the MSP, it was done ONLY AFTER the 7 Days Elapsed to add a layer of security to ensure we are not releasing to a Prohibited Person. We have other qualifiers a person must meet if they opt to not wait 100+ days for the MSP to do a background check.

A friend of mine went to pick up a handgun today. FFL has run about 20 NICS checks in the last two days. When he tried to run my friends this afternoon they denied the check. Said it had something to do with the MSP. I do not have all the facts- just passing along what I know.

FNG

Jun 12, 2013
    Frederick
    Thanks yournamehere, for saving me from having to type that all on my phone. What a joke, they did give the ok for a regulated long gun though.

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    A friend of mine went to pick up a handgun today. FFL has run about 20 NICS checks in the last two days. When he tried to run my friends this afternoon they denied the check. Said it had something to do with the MSP. I do not have all the facts- just passing along what I know.

I, personally, had this happen to me today. Glad to see someone else had the same experience.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

Yup, thats correct. My understanding NICS will no longer process checks for handguns.

Yep, MD FFL's can no longer do a NICS check on "HANDGUNS". :innocent0

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Im sorry if my posts on this subject has caused confusion.

Your post is clear. It is people on this forum that want to argue a point when they have little or no information. It is as if they vent here because they can't do it at home.

The OP simply made a statement about something that is actually going on. If you don't know how to respond to the guy then just step away from the PC. Clandestine clarified the situation and while the OP isn't exactly on point he certainly is close.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    of course, if you lose your business over it thanks to MSP, you're not going to have customers either. so they may decide to cover themselves on it.

i see it both ways, really, but some of this is us as customers just wanting what we paid for NOW and thus not worrying so much about what the FFL's specific concerns are.

There is another way to look at this too. It is one of fighting for our 2nd Amendment right and not putting up with this BS. If ALL the dealers agreed to release in 8 days, then what?

That is our freaking problem. We are divided. The dealers are divided. We could not agree on referendum or not, The majority of people that appeared in Annapolis to oppose this bill are not registered to vote. Holy cow do we need somebody to come along and bring us together as a 2nd Amendment society.

If the dealers do not want to fight for our 2nd Amendment right, they might be looking at stocking pellet guns next.

That is my issue with this entire thing and the 8 day release. If we sit back and wait patiently for our firearms, then the State and the liberals have won.

To me, it isn't about wanting my firearm now because I need it. Nope. I told my FFL to take his time with this until he feels comfortable, but that my only requirement was that I receive my handguns prior to October 1, 2013. I have even been working with him on this to try and get it done prior to October 1.

So, there is a lot more involved with this for a lot of people other than just, I want my guns. Same goes for the dealers.

Me, I was pushing the envelope on the 30 day application issue back in early April. It wasn't because I need another handgun or assault weapon. I have enough of them as it is that I do not NEED another. Want is a different story. My point is simple, we have to push back and keep these people honest.

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    I contacted Del. Smigiel last night, using the phone number listed on his blog. The guy actually answered the phone himself. He seemed as if he was as enraged as I currently am. He's a real class act. I'm not a constituent of his, but he said he is still going to contact a couple FFLs to get the facts then contact the MDSP.

I cannot, with every effort expended, begin to understand or accept the fact that not only is the State Agency entrusted with enforcing the laws of this State willfully and knowingly breaking the law themselves, they are also intimidating and coercing citizens (business owners) into assisting them in their illegal activity. It angers me with the passion of a thousand burning suns.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    How long does it takes MSP to tell the FFL dealer that the application is delayed?

By law, MSP has to respond within 7 days or the dealer "may" release the firearm. What's happening is the MSP isn't even looking at the application until long after that timeframe has expired... around 100 days at this point. So delays and disapprovals are taking just as long as "not disapproved".

Antifeik

May 26, 2013
    By law, MSP has to respond within 7 days or the dealer "may" release the firearm. What's happening is the MSP isn't even looking at the application until long after that timeframe has expired... around 100 days at this point. So delays and disapprovals are taking just as long as "not disapproved".

Thank you for your input, help me understand on why did the FFL told me after 8 days that my app is "delayed" if there's such a backlog? :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom