• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    Basically what it says. Curious to know what handguns people would like to see added to the roster.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    The 226 and 229 are on the roster. The legion series guns are just variations, so they are as well.

Nope.
    Legion need to be listed.
    The 226 Legion is on the roster.
    I'm sure all would be there if they were submitted. Sig won't submit one.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Wish list? Just order what you want and submit it for approval. Ms. Jenkins makes the process easy. With a few exceptions, virtually every submission is approved. Just be patient. Takes a few months from start to finish.

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    Wish list? Just order what you want and submit it for approval. Ms. Jenkins makes the process easy. With a few exceptions, virtually every submission is approved. Just be patient. Takes a few months from start to finish.
    I've been told that you need to submit the gun with the form. Unless you are an FFL, you can't get the gun to do that. So you need to have an FFL who is willing to go though the trouble of filling in the form, dropping off the gun, then picking it up? (As I had it explained to me).

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I've been told that you need to submit the gun with the form. Unless you are an FFL, you can't get the gun to do that. So you need to have an FFL who is willing to go though the trouble of filling in the form, dropping off the gun, then picking it up? (As I had it explained to me).

After first discussing with my MD FFL and Ms. Jenkins, I've ordered a gun to have delivered to my FFL, prepared the paperwork provided by Ms. Jenkins, and then my FFL has mailed the gun (in the box with everything it came with) with my paperwork to the State Police. The review committee in practice likely meets 6-8 times a year, so there will be downtime until that meeting. During the downtime, the submitted firearm is inspected, test fired, etc. My FFL received everything back in excellent condition (all paperwork, gun had no new scratches or wear marks, lol). It sat at my FFL until the handgun roster approval hit the books/got on the website, at which point, I started my paperwork to get MD approval to have it transferred to my possession.

There might be risk in a nonapproval, but one can probably resell through your FFL out of state given the purchaser never took possession.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

True. From what I've heard. From all accounts she seems like a wonderful person to work with.

No issue with Ms. Jenkins, she's doing her job, my concern is that having such a list is another infringement. What if the state applied this same logic to other rights? Could you imagine if we could only exercise our 1A rights to the degree allowed by the state? For example, what if we couldn't talk about something until it was approved? Or if the Fourth Amendment (4A) didn't apply until/unless the state said it did?

Sound absurd? It is.

If the state needs to ban a specific product because it is proved defective or unsafe, reasonable; but to have to deliberately approve each handgun for sale is ridiculous.

I've heard it said many times by many people, with regard to 1A, that you can't yell 'Fire!' in a crowded movie theatre; I heard this again just recently. Someone here on MDShooters (long ago), explained that this isn't correct, it is not against the law to do that, but the person yelling is responsible for what happens. So if you yell 'fire!' and there is no fire, and people get hurt trying to get out of the theatre you could be in big trouble for causing a panic/riot, etc. I'd like a better discussion on this, the original post was a much better explanation; but this is an important topic (for another thread probably).

Last edited:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Ms. Jenkins isn't doing the approving. She's administrative staff sending paperwork to submitters and keeping us updated on the process. The approval board is different and has state police and, IRC, MD citizens appointed by the Governor on it (probably a gun store owner or two, although I haven't checked the recent list). They weren't obstructionistic during the O'Malley administration. Consider they allow pistols that resemble officially designated scary rifles as an example.

Not saying that I like this impediment to handgun availability in MD, but I would put the HQL requirement, mag capacity limitations, handgun transport restrictions, etc much higher on the list of 2A handgun issues that we have in this state.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Right now I'd really like to see both variations of the new Ruger MK IV 22/45 Lite put on there.
    I'm giving serious thought to ordering one and having a dealer submit it for me just to get it on there.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Ms. Jenkins isn't doing the approving. She's administrative staff sending paperwork to submitters and keeping us updated on the process. The approval board is different and has state police and, IRC, MD citizens appointed by the Governor on it (probably a gun store owner or two, although I haven't checked the recent list). They weren't obstructionistic during the O'Malley administration. Consider they allow pistols that resemble officially designated scary rifles as an example.

Not saying that I like this impediment to handgun availability in MD, but I would put the HQL requirement, mag capacity limitations, handgun transport restrictions, etc much higher on the list of 2A handgun issues that we have in this state.

Understood, and thanks for the clarification. Regardless of who's doing the infringing and administrating, it's wrong. I also agree with you that we have bigger fish to fry in this State, but this is just another quirky (probably illegal) thing about Maryland gun laws that has a lot of gun owners feeling 'battered'. (BGOS is a real thing (Battered Gun Owners Syndrome).

My wish for the list? For it to not exist at all.

Yep. My point exactly.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I've submitted for 2 guns to be added and they were added. They were simply caliber additions to a model already on the list. Didn't have to submit a gun. Marlene said there are circumstances where the gun does not have to actually be submitted.

I wish the roster would go away as well. The market itself does away with POS guns. Just needless bureaucracy and infringement.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    After first discussing with my MD FFL and Ms. Jenkins, I've ordered a gun to have delivered to my FFL, prepared the paperwork provided by Ms. Jenkins, and then my FFL has mailed the gun (in the box with everything it came with) with my paperwork to the State Police. The review committee in practice likely meets 6-8 times a year, so there will be downtime until that meeting. During the downtime, the submitted firearm is inspected, test fired, etc. My FFL received everything back in excellent condition (all paperwork, gun had no new scratches or wear marks, lol). It sat at my FFL until the handgun roster approval hit the books/got on the website, at which point, I started my paperwork to get MD approval to have it transferred to my possession.

There might be risk in a nonapproval, but one can probably resell through your FFL out of state given the purchaser never took possession.

CMOS, the above is correct as well as if it is just a caliber addition then usually the paperwork is only needed. I have submitted several times and been lucky were the Manufactures supplied the firearm.

I just went through trying to get he Baby Eagle III 45acp on the roster before I came home for leave but the timing was off. so I didn't get the pistol because of the 7 day wait time and I wouldn't be home to pick it up. so I bought a PPQ M2 45ACP instead, I always have a second choice when something new comes out.

I attached the format for anyone who wants it.

marlene.jenkins@maryland.gov

Its just the way it work in MD right now...

Attachments

• Example Handgun Roster Petition Form Pistol v2.docx
      34 KB · Views: 125

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom