• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Some of us Hooligans are lookin' forward to a frozen Deep Creek Lake to play with a new toy:

Ice boat sailing will not take away from shooting but should be fun. Much better than running the snow-blower....

4570inMD

See there 4570? Even tho you told me the sailing season was over I KNEW you weren't done!

:lol2:

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Some of us Hooligans are lookin' forward to a frozen Deep Creek Lake to play with a new toy:

View attachment 136070

Ice boat sailing will not take away from shooting but should be fun. Much better than running the snow-blower....

4570inMD

Never sailed an "ice" boat before but I've spent many an hour out on the trapeze at the helm of a HobieCat 16. That looks like alotta' fun........but where's the jib???

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia
    Looks like fun. Self righting if SHTF?

Ice boat skippers learn to stick to the boat when capsizing, since that 'water' is very HARD and you do not want to hit it when out-of-control.

No self righting but you do need to hang onto the boat when you right it since an ice boat will race away from you very, very easily. No brakes, no resistance, & no catching it by running after it in winter clothes.

Come on up to DCL this winter, this Hooligan is willin' to share.

4570inMD

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia
    Never sailed an "ice" boat before but I've spent many an hour out on the trapeze at the helm of a HobieCat 16. That looks like alotta' fun........but where's the jib???

Your sailing at speed experience will directly transfer. No sharp turns, no slowing during a tack, and wide, high speed turns for course adjustments.

A little sail without a jib is all that is needed. A DN can see 30+ mph with 10-15 mph of wind and your butt is only inches off that hard, cold ice with no brakes. Two to three times the speed of a Hobie 16 with incredible wind chill factors.............

DNs & Snow.jpg

4570inMD
    ==================

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Your sailing at speed experience will directly transfer. No sharp turns, no slowing during a tack, and wide, high speed turns for course adjustments.

A little sail without a jib is all that is needed. A DN can see 30+ mph with 10-15 mph of wind and your butt is only inches off that hard, cold ice with no brakes. Two to three times the speed of a Hobie 16 with incredible wind chill factors.............

View attachment 136160

4570inMD
    ==================

I'm going to assume those speeds are attained (30+ mph with a 15 MPH wind) on a beam reach???

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia
    I'm going to assume those speeds are attained (30+ mph with a 15 MPH wind) on a beam reach???

From Wikipedia:
    "Recorded racing speeds for an International DN in 9 knots (17 km/h; 10 mph) winds are 26 knots (48 km/h; 30 mph) upwind, and 35 knots (65 km/h; 40 mph) downwind.[4] A downwind speed of 49 knots (91 km/h; 56 mph) was recorded at a World Championship in winds of just 13 to 15 knots (24 to 28 km/h; 15 to 17 mph).[3]"

It is amazing the speeds attainable with so little resistance on ice. Apparent wind is so far forward it, appears that you are close-hauled all the time.

Come try it.

4570inMD

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Winter's Preview Upped Its Ante

NWS forecast for tonight 11/17/14 in Deep Creek:
    Snow showers. Low around 10. Wind chill values as low as -5. Breezy, with a west wind 18 to 22 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

They were setting up and testing the snow making machines at the Wisp last weekend. No doubt they will be blowing snow this week.

It's "that time of year" in the mountains... Geez, summer now seems so long ago...

Attachments

• DSC03256.jpg
      DSC03256.jpg
      26.5 KB · Views: 169

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland

View attachment 136160

4570inMD
    ==================

That sounds very cool !:party29:

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

View attachment 136070

4570inMD

Does it have a passenger seat? :D

Hey 4570inMD, looks like Mooseman is volunteering to be ballast for ya' on'na' really windy day.:D:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom