Winter Has Officially Arrived in Deep Creek...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I'm thinkin' ol' man winter must be watching the calendar here in Deep Creek. With the winter solstice occuring today, he went right to work. There's been snow all day, but the wind pretty much blew any accumulation off the roads and roofs. :thumbsup: Now that it's dark he's getting serious.

A low of 19 tonight with 5" to 9" of snow in the forecast. It's light and fluffy stuff - not the kind Sandy dumped on us (thank gawd!) Hopefully any trees that were gonna come down came down with the Sandy event. :fingerscrossed:

Should look like a winter wonderland by tomorrow morning. :) Then let the digging out begin. :(

Attachments

• DSC08126.jpg
      DSC08126.jpg
      24.2 KB · Views: 563
    • DSC08128.jpg
      DSC08128.jpg
      76.2 KB · Views: 564
    • DSC08124.jpg
      DSC08124.jpg
      42.2 KB · Views: 567

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    I drove up I-68 from Frostburg to where i work in WV at about 6:30. It took me two hours to get from Frostburg to the Wv line. Usually takes 30 minutes. The traffic was very heavy with holiday travelers who didn't seem to be familiar with Garrett County Winter driving. It was a total gaggle for sure.

At one point I was sitting still for about 10 minutes.
    Thank God for Subaru Outbacks and Blizzak winter treads.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Yeah Winter has arrived alright. The high winds took out the power in my neighborhood, around 3AM this morning... Here we go again.

Lost my power around the same time, but it is back on. As for the snow, still snowing, winds feel like 80MPH, tried to get to the newspaper was like exploring above the arctic circle, 4 to 5 foot drift damn near all the way down the driveway was tough to hike thru. I'm not even going to try to blow it yet, just wasting gas, it would fill back in within an hour.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Lost my power around the same time, but it is back on. As for the snow, still snowing, winds feel like 80MPH, tried to get to the newspaper was like exploring above the arctic circle, 4 to 5 foot drift damn near all the way down the driveway was tough to hike thru. I'm not even going to try to blow it yet, just wasting gas, it would fill back in within an hour.

Yeah - in front of my garage, and the end of the driveway is piled high. Im not going to bother to try to clean it until tommorrow morning when hopefully it stops- the winds will just fill it back in no time flat.

That wind is obnoxious. I barely got any sleep last night with all the raquet it was making. The window screens, got stuffed full of snow too.

I see a Potomac Edison pick up truck towards the main public road with lights flashing. Hopefully they get the power back on soon. I took all my frozen foods, and put them out on the deck, so they wont thaw out, and get ruined like when Sandy hit us. My sister, and BIL sent a bunch of Omaha Steaks stuff for Christmas - Id be pissed if that got ruined!

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Yeah - in front of my garage, and the end of the driveway is piled high. Im not going to bother to try to clean it until tommorrow morning when hopefully it stops- the winds will just fill it back in no time flat.

That wind is obnoxious. I barely got any sleep last night with all the raquet it was making. The window screens, got stuffed full of snow too.

I see a Potomac Edison pick up truck towards the main public road with lights flashing. Hopefully they get the power back on soon. I took all my frozen foods, and put them out on the deck, so they wont thaw out, and get ruined like when Sandy hit us. My sister, and BIL sent a bunch of Omaha Steaks stuff for Christmas - Id be pissed if that got ruined!

I'm pretty lucky, my power comes from a feed from Frostburg so I don't have as much problem with long outages. I'm already praying for May.:D

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    The way to ensure the power stays on is spend a couple of grand for a generator. Once you have that it stays in the garage and the Potomac Edison feed keeps working. :D

Oh, and I just know there's a driveway under that white stuff somewhere...:sad20:

Attachments

• DSC08133.jpg
      DSC08133.jpg
      47.6 KB · Views: 454
    • DSC08134.jpg
      DSC08134.jpg
      60.1 KB · Views: 455

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Just got the power back on, and the pellet stove cranked back up. At least it didnt take 8 days like last time.. :sad20:

The front porch got a nice drift of snow (first pic). The road in front of my house is bare from the wind - but the side road, and my driveway got covered pretty good. Cant see the WISP at the moment -the snow clouds keep eclipsing it.

Attachments

• FPSNOW.jpg
      FPSNOW.jpg
      71.6 KB · Views: 446
    • SNOWRDFOH.jpg
      SNOWRDFOH.jpg
      76.9 KB · Views: 448

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I just wanted to let everyone know that this one is not my wife's fault. We are staying in the flat lands for Christmas.:D

Good luck to those out of power.

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia
    At 1335, 25*F and lightly snowing. My driveway and deck averaged about 8" of dry snow that was comparatively easy to remove.

22dec12 DCL snow.jpg

The wind is still blowing and likely to continue based on the weather isobar maps.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    At 1335, 25*F and lightly snowing. My driveway and deck averaged about 8" of dry snow that was comparatively easy to remove.

View attachment 72094

The wind is still blowing and likely to continue based on the weather isobar maps.

Man.. dont stand under that roof edge. That will be one cold ordeal if it comes down!

Luckily the snow does not usally build up on the roof of my house- the wind does a pretty good job clearing it off.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Speaking of generators, I just bought a house in New Windsor (Carroll County) and the power goes off wayyyyy too much! I'm looking at getting an 8000W portable gasoline (Generac) with the requisite kit connecting to house power. Have to wait until spring though as I'm broke from all things "new house"...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom