• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kabk

Mar 2, 2013
    This is what I found (one of the things that led to my decision to go with them):

"In the beginning, Bushmaster Firearms International made their name as a well known maker of quality AR-15 type rifles owned by Richard Dyke. In 2006 he sold the company to Cerberus Capital Management, which in turn owned Freedom Group, which became Bushmaster's parent company that also owned other firearms manufacturer's including Remington and Marlin. Bushmaster production continued in Windham, Maine until March of 2011 when it was moved to Ilion, New York, to consolidate operations with other Freedom Group manufacturing. The facility in Windham was closed and the employees were laid off. Soon afterward Richard Dyke stepped back into the picture. He still owned the facility as he had been leasing it to Freedom Group since selling Bushmaster in 2006. He also had a 5 year non-compete agreement that was expiring soon. He must have felt as I do, that no one can make these rifles better than the folks in Windham, Maine so he decided to put another company together and put the workers back in business making these fine rifles. The new company was named Windham Weaponry and commenced manufacturing operations over the summer of 2011." http://www.grampasgunreviews.com/WindhamWeaponryMPC/

Coretac

Do NOT care what u think
    May 30, 2013
    I don't think I'd necessarily call Windham a (first rate) AR.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yes " Please " let us know why it's not a first rate AR ? I really would love to hear this . Does " First Rate " AR's have magic bullets ?

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Please elaborate.

I'm not saying it's a piece of crap. I'm just saying it's not in the same league as the high end AR's. The term "high end" or "top rate" is usually reserved for manufactures who've built their reputations over the course of many years.

Saying Windham makes a "top rate" rifle is an insult to companies like DD, BCM, Noveske and LaRue. There are other manufacturers that are considered high end but it's late and I'm tired.

Coretac

Do NOT care what u think
    May 30, 2013
    Well this is my take , for what my 2 cents is worth .... new company's that come out . If you were putting a item on the market for sale , would you put " Junk " out or make a half way nice item . I just bought 2 Core Rifle's and was told by some one there low end . I will tell you right now I took the rifle apart and I see NOTHING but a very nice build. I am sure any new rifle put out its gonna be a nice rifle if they wanted any more buy's in the time to come. But what do I know , I took my chance and I think I did ok . I'm sure Windham will do ok also , it's what they heart they have for there product. If some one is offering a life time coverage , it can NOT be bad . Early Happy 4 th to everyone. Enjoy !

Lostinbmore

Junior grade mop slopper
    Dec 19, 2012
    Baltimore
    I'm not saying it's a piece of crap. I'm just saying it's not in the same league as the high end AR's. The term "high end" or "top rate" is usually reserved for manufactures who've built their reputations over the course of many years.

Saying Windham makes a "top rate" rifle is an insult to companies like DD, BCM, Noveske and LaRue. There are other manufacturers that are considered high end but it's late and I'm tired.

I see the point your trying make I think the terminology is scaled incorrectly. It's the difference of an good entry level vs a professional or competition grade. The WW isn't competition grade rifle, nor should it be at the price set for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Well this is my take , for what my 2 cents is worth .... new company's that come out . If you were putting a item on the market for sale , would you put " Junk " out or make a half way nice item . I just bought 2 Core Rifle's and was told by some one there low end . I will tell you right now I took the rifle apart and I see NOTHING but a very nice build. I am sure any new rifle put out its gonna be a nice rifle if they wanted any more buy's in the time to come. But what do I know , I took my chance and I think I did ok . I'm sure Windham will do ok also , it's what they heart they have for there product. If some one is offering a life time coverage , it can NOT be bad . Early Happy 4 th to everyone. Enjoy !

As everything should look okay to the naked eye. I would hope any rifle maker was competent enough to assemble a half way decent AR. There are things that are impossible to see by the naked such as hammer forged barrels, bolts made with the correct material, individually tested bolts and barrels instead of batch tested.

Just have fun with whatever you buy buy.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I balked on buying a Windham HBAR from I.P. High Rock Outfitters (Hog Sniper) last fall, and I'm still kicking myself over that.

Don't let your son hesitate to buy the rifle.

OMG I thought I was the only one who was kicking themselves for that very same reason and IP!!!!!!!

PointnClick

Nov 18, 2012
    MoCo
    I found one (WW HBC) from a dealer in Colorado for $800. I have about ~400 rounds through it and not a single FTF/FTE. My PMAGs fit well and the rifle is accurate as I can ask. For the price, I don't have a single complaint.

Nov 22, 2012
    Wow, $800 that is one hell of a deal. I paid $869 prior to the craze. The lowest I have seen them recently is $999. I might have to get another.

peckman28

Aug 27, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Knocks against WW (assuming we are trusting their posted specs...which I see no reason not to):

1/9 barrel twist (subjective)
    Commercial buffer tube
    Castle nut is not staked

Worth investigating is whether the gas tubes are larger than spec....this is a known Bushmaster habit and hopefully WW is not guilty of it as well. If they are guilty of this then it's their worst offense since it prematurely wears out the BCG. Assuming they are not doing that, they are largely very good rifles and are well worth the market price they are commanding.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Knocks against WW (assuming we are trusting their posted specs...which I see no reason not to):

1/9 barrel twist (subjective)
    Commercial buffer tube
    Castle nut is not staked

Worth investigating is whether the gas tubes are larger than spec....this is a known Bushmaster habit and hopefully WW is not guilty of it as well. If they are guilty of this then it's their worst offense since it prematurely wears out the BCG. Assuming they are not doing that, they are largely very good rifles and are well worth the market price they are commanding.

Personally I think the barrel twist issue is overblown. 99% of the ammo you will find out there in 5.56 or .223 is 45-62gr., so right in the 1:9" sweet spot. I think if you are looking for very long distance accuracy and hand loading heavier bullets you aren't buying an M-4 style rifle to do it with and probably want a .223 chamber anyway. I have shot 77gr at 300yds plus and it was fine.

The castle nut on the Windham HBC I have was staked.

peckman28

Aug 27, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Personally I think the barrel twist issue is overblown. 99% of the ammo you will find out there in 5.56 or .223 is 45-62gr., so right in the 1:9" sweet spot. I think if you are looking for very long distance accuracy and hand loading heavier bullets you aren't buying an M-4 style rifle to do it with and probably want a .223 chamber anyway. I have shot 77gr at 300yds plus and it was fine.

The castle nut on the Windham HBC I have was staked.

Indeed....that's why I marked it as something subjective. I know a lot of people don't care and have no reason to. That's cool if they're staking now; I know they weren't in earlier ones. They do seem to be a solid buy at the prices they currently command.....you'll notice my list of negatives was short and minor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom