• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Big shout out to JLowes for the great deal on my new Windham Weapony HBC. His service and this rifle are both amazing!

I tried to find some reviews about this rifle prior to buying it but most of what I found was from around 2012. It also seemed that everyone commenting on it were AR "elitists" bashing the rifles and had no actual hands on experience with Windham rifles. So here it goes. My honest opinion of my first Windham rifle.

The fit and finish is fantastic. No machining mark. The finish is spotless. The upper and lower have almost no play. Barrel is 4150 CMV 11595E Steel with a 1/9 twist. Bore and chamber is chrome lined. Bolts made from MPI 158 Carpenter steel. The M16 Carriers are chrome lined 8620 steel. Receivers are 7075 T6 aluminum. Finish is hardcoat black anodized on aluminum and Manganese Phosphate on steel. Comes with the A4 carry handle, double heat shielded M4 hand guards, and commercial receiver extension. Standard front sight base, not F marked.

I absolutely love this rifle. Im keeping it as it came from the factory. I took my rifle to FreeState Saturday morning and put 300 rounds through it without a hiccup. I know, that's not a real test, but it's a nice start. I tried older 30rd and 20rd pmags, older lancer mags and GI mags with Magpul followers. All worked as they should and held the bolt back. The ammo I used was a mix of Perfecta 55gr .223, I don't remember the make M193, and Federal 55gr .223. All functioned well. I didn't find the standard front sight base to be an issue with the carry handle, but I will be upgrading to the +.040 sight post anyway.

With the included furniture, carry handle, nylon sling and an empty GI mag inserted, the Windham weighs in at 7lb 12oz. That's interesting because my old Bushmaster with M4 profile barrel wearing Magpul furniture, a Colt side sling swivel, blue force gear 2 point sling, carry handle and empty GI mag weighs in at 7lb 10oz. Not much of a difference for an Hbar. To me the weight isn't perceivable as most of the extra barrel bulk is under the handguard.

I can't wait to get this rifle back out to the range and try it at farther distances. I'll post any updates I have as I use this rifle more. I hope this mini review helps someone who is on the fence about these rifles. I will definitely be buying another in the future!

Attachments

• IMG_5310.jpg
      IMG_5310.jpg
      152.9 KB · Views: 1,930
    • IMG_5281.jpg
      IMG_5281.jpg
      90.6 KB · Views: 1,471
    • IMG_5315.jpg
      IMG_5315.jpg
      141.7 KB · Views: 1,524

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Great review. Where did you pick up the Perfecta ammo? I heard that it is a real bargain in .223, but my area Wal-Marts never seem to have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I actually bought that about a year ago at a Walmart and it's been in storage ever since. I haven't seen it for a while. It did shoot ok. No real issues. One or two rounds seem to be slightly under powered. The empty casing didn't fling out of the ejection port quite as hard as the rest of the rounds did. It didn't cause any other issues though.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    Great review. I just picked one of these up from JLowes friday. Have not shot it yet but will this week.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Great review. Where did you pick up the Perfecta ammo? I heard that it is a real bargain in .223, but my area Wal-Marts never seem to have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked a case up a while back and have worked it into my shooting lately. No issues so far.

vetogunban

Apr 30, 2013
    Brooklyn Park
    Thanks for the review. Looking to take mine out this Friday to sight in the red dot. Hard for most to believe but this will be my first time out with an AR. :shocking:

Cryptotek1

May 1, 2017
    Picked up mine up from JLowes today and put 100 rounds through it. Its my first AR but it seems like a solid rifle. The ops review feels spot on.

This was my first deal with John, but I'll be back for sure, even though his shop is 1.5hrs away. He's a standup guy.

Some of the guys at the range shot it and couldnt believe I paid $500. Go Windham. And John!

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    Great review. Nice looking rifle, too. $500.00... Wow!:party29: My son-in-law bought one a year or so ago and he really likes it. Its a bit customized now (read that "can't hardly recognize it":rolleyes:). The only problem that he had was with a couple Promag magazines. The lips spread when they were fully loaded and let the ammo pop out and double feed. That was the mags, not the rifle. Metal mags took care of that. You done good.:)

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    They are great AR's. There really is not other AR that gives you the quality in that price range like the Windham does.

The only problems I see with them are occasional feed ramp issues and issues with proper gas key bolt torque value.

I really wish I could get a hold of one of the upper assembly jigs that Windham uses. So damn cool.

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    I recently bought one, also. It is a blast to shoot and is well made. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    They are great AR's. There really is not other AR that gives you the quality in that price range like the Windham does.

The only problems I see with them are occasional feed ramp issues and issues with proper gas key bolt torque value.

I really wish I could get a hold of one of the upper assembly jigs that Windham uses. So damn cool.

Glad to hear good words from a pro about windham! How often do you see these problems and are they easily remedied? Also do you know if they are older or newer production guns? The jigs are very cool. I noticed it in one of the factory tour videos.

Boneuphtoner

Feb 8, 2016
    MoCo
    I love my HBC. It was my first AR, and since then I was so impressed with the Windham's quality, I got the Windham Dissipator...it is equally awesome. I've shot a couple of ARs that were lower in price and have held many more...and this newbie can certainly tell the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom