• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • im_mac

Dec 17, 2008
    Bel Air
    Does anyone know much about the old Model 54? (which should've been posted in C&R section)

13883881109_51c7d4a147_o.jpg

So ~15 years ago, my grandfather gave me this gun. He said he took it off a dead Jap while going through Manilla. It wasn't in the best shape then and it ended up sitting in a corner until this past Easter when I retrieved it from my parents' house.

What I have is a 1934 Winchester Model 54, in 30.06. Actually, it took me a day or so to figure out the caliber. In that next picture you can read "Model 54" but then it's very worn. The fact that it says 30 Govt 06 didn't help either.

So the outside isn't pristine, and there is a little pitting on the magazine plate (last pic), but everything else seems superficial. The bolt matches the serial # and it appears to have the original Lyman sights.

Questions I have are: Is this thing in fireable condition? If not, am I better off leaving it as is, rather than restoring? Any somewhat local guys have experience with these? I've read it's not as collectable as early Model 70s, but the didn't make that many of them (though I think this is the most common version).

Anybody have some good advice?

14074276331_71dfff8068_z.jpg

14090536503_32bf80f02d_z.jpg

13890880230_df4cd65545_z.jpg

14074275321_d22a54d6a9_z.jpg

Last edited:

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    The 54 was Winchesters first successful production bolt action for the civilian market. Good gun and as with most old Winchester's does have some collector value.
    However condition is everything and it looks pretty rough,metal has a lot of pitting and would have to be heavily filed and buffed before bluing.
    I would clean it up and as long as it has a good clean bore and chamber just shoot it as is.
    The Model 70 was basically a Model 54 with some improvements.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I like the fact that it loads from stripper clips.

Gently clean her up, clean her out, and shoot that thing.

Great looking chunk of Walnut too.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    If you are overly concerned on shotting it, have a gunsmith check it out first. I like patina on old guns so I would just give it a mild cleaning and oil the metal.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Seems weird a Japanese soldier would take an american rifle over an Arisaka with his emperor's mum on it. Must have been a bitch to find ammo for, unless he was pulling it off dead Americans. But if that's the case, why not carry an M1? :shrug:

ETA: looks like Manilla was late enough in the war where there may have not been enough Arisaka's to go around. "Last Ditch" period.

im_mac

Dec 17, 2008
    Bel Air
    You know, I never questioned it being in Manilla. It had 11 years to get there migrate from the US and it didn't occur to me that export was probably rarer back then. I don't think my grandfather got confused about where it came from. He went deaf but kept his wits about him.

Really there's little pitting except that one spot, everything else is discolored but smooth. The bore looked decent and the rag came out clean.

I hate to say it, but I couldn't figure out how to get the bolt out without googling it first.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    It might be worth your time to try to get a letter for it. I believe the old Winchester records are held by the Cody Firearms Museum. I would not do anything to it until checking the records first. The wood shows a much higher grade of figure than normal which leads me to think it may have been a special order. There were many Americans in the Phillipines so I wouldn't discount your grandfather's story. A factory letter could possibly prove it to be true.

im_mac

Dec 17, 2008
    Bel Air
    That was a good idea about contacting the Cody Firearms Museum, unfortunately they don't appear to have any records for Model 54s. It seems odd, so I sent them an email anyway - not really expecting any reply.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Nice rifle, interesting story if it happens to be true, too bad there isn't any paperwork or anything with it.

The Japanese captured tons of U.S. stuff in the Philippines and used some of it to an extent. I've seen several pictures of Japanese soldiers using M1917 Enfields.

I never actually thought about the idea of a sporting rifle being used and never thought there could be a documentation of it. That made me research it further...

I looked up some stuff about Japanese use of captured weapons and found this interesting picture below, which was supposedly taken in the Philippines. Look at the soldier all the way to the right and notice what is in his hand. Not sure what kind of rifle it actually is but it could be something a Japanese soldier picked up along the way.

Attachments

• hearn1.jpg
      hearn1.jpg
      95.6 KB · Views: 202

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Nice rifle, interesting story if it happens to be true, too bad there isn't any paperwork or anything with it.

The Japanese captured tons of U.S. stuff in the Philippines and used some of it to an extent. I've seen several pictures of Japanese soldiers using M1917 Enfields.

I never actually thought about the idea of a sporting rifle being used and never thought there could be a documentation of it. That made me research it further...

I looked up some stuff about Japanese use of captured weapons and found this interesting picture below, which was supposedly taken in the Philippines. Look at the soldier all the way to the right and notice what is in his hand. Not sure what kind of rifle it actually is but it could be something a Japanese soldier picked up along the way.

Rifle on right........... Krag carbine, they were used extensively there early in the century. I stand by my captured Army or Navy officers personal property, thing probably cost 30 bucks new which was a LOT of money for any enlisted puke at the time.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Rifle on right........... Krag carbine, they were used extensively there early in the century. I stand by my captured Army or Navy officers personal property, thing probably cost 30 bucks new which was a LOT of money for any enlisted puke at the time.

At first I thought Krag carbine, but the stock is not the same. Krags have a straight grip stock, not a curved grip. So its either some kind of sportered Krag or another rifle.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Keep in mind that there were quite a number of wealthy international types doing business in the Philippines prior to WWII, including many who owned plantations of various types.

Also keep in mind that American firearms were considered to be excellent weapons at the time, and there were probably lots of merchants who carried them.

The Japanese soldiers did a lot of looting when they rolled in, and by the time the Americans took back the islands, their supply chain had been interrupted for awhile. It's no real surprise that a Japanese soldier was using any rifle and ammo they could get their hands on, at that point.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    At first I thought Krag carbine, but the stock is not the same. Krags have a straight grip stock, not a curved grip. So its either some kind of sportered Krag or another rifle.

Still going with Krag because of their numbers there at the time. Cocking piece, sling position and the angle it's held still could be a straight stock, I duplicated it with mine out of curiosity. Poor quality of pic we'll never really know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom