• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Just FYI- I saw an ad from Winchester stating that they're going to make M2 ball replica for M1 Garands starting this year.
    No idea what it will cost and commenters mercilessly mocked Winchester for price gouging but I figured it was worth mentioning.

Right now, PPU M2 replica is selling for a little over $1/pew on Ammoseek so you'd think that Winchester would price it at least around that price.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I'll stick to my Lake City.

Attachments

• A4a.jpg
      A4a.jpg
      96.8 KB · Views: 86

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I'll stick to my Lake City.
    That is all corrosive guys. He is going to have to spend a lot of time cleaning his rifles if he is shooting all that.

So we can sit here smug and superior not having thousands of rounds of surplus in our closet.

That is going to be the thought that lets me sleep better at night even if it isn't true.

On the Winchester stuff, I have 3 boxes of it when they were selling it in the collectible wood boxes 3 years ago (I think it was 3 years ago? 4?). I have yet to shoot any of it. Back when ammo prices were low, I want to say it was $25 a box for the 20 rounds and "collectible" (made in China or Mexico probably) wood box. I assume it is identical, but not with the nice cardboard and wood boxes.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    That is all corrosive guys. He is going to have to spend a lot of time cleaning his rifles if he is shooting all that.

So we can sit here smug and superior not having thousands of rounds of surplus in our closet.

That is going to be the thought that lets me sleep better at night even if it isn't true.

On the Winchester stuff, I have 3 boxes of it when they were selling it in the collectible wood boxes 3 years ago (I think it was 3 years ago? 4?). I have yet to shoot any of it. Back when ammo prices were low, I want to say it was $25 a box for the 20 rounds and "collectible" (made in China or Mexico probably) wood box. I assume it is identical, but not with the nice cardboard and wood boxes.
    It is all LC69 and non corrosive.

Last edited:

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Would be interes6ting to see the price point. Right now it's PPU and S&B for me. Pretty decent accuracy out to 600yds.

Q

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Would be interes6ting to see the price point. Right now it's PPU and S&B for me. Pretty decent accuracy out to 600yds.

Q
    I also found Norma Whitetail to be within the specs but the bullet is a softpoint hunting bullet.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Why would Winchester set up a .30/06 live ammo production line in a govt owned facility for comparatively small quantities when they already have perfectly good .30/06 production in East Alton, IL, including FMJ, prior to this rebranding?
    Will it be coming from East Alton?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    If you want accuracy from a Garand with its 1:10 rifling, you need heavier projectiles than the 150s in M2 Ball. 168-173 is the sweet spot. All of mine do well with 168gr SMKs or TMKs over ~46.5 grains of 4064. But commercial 168 grain match rounds also give smaller groups than any M2 Ball equivalent load I've tried.

At the time the Garand was designed and first fielded, M1 Ball was the standard, with a 174 grain bullet. M2 was introduced because it was less expensive, and because there had been problems on some military ranges with rounds that went over berms carrying on outside the exclusion zones behind.

M2AP, also a round commonly used by the military in the Garand, had a 165 grain bullet.

Last edited:

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    At the time the Garand was designed and first fielded, M1 Ball was the standard, with a 174 grain bullet.
    Question: Do we have formulas for powders with that weight of bullet?

I made replica M2 using 47.5 gr of H4064. I'd like to make some M1 ball.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Question: Do we have formulas for powders with that weight of bullet?

I made replica M2 using 47.5 gr of H4064. I'd like to make some M1 ball.

M72 is basically the same as M1 Ball, just without a cannelure or crimp.

IMR 1185 was developed for M1 Ball. I’ll have to look at my Hatcher book again, but I believe the pre-war National Match ammo used a variety of powder other powders too that no longer exist. Many modern powders are close though.

M72 was nominally 50gr of IMR 4895 (the bulk grade, not the modern stuff blended for consistency), with each lot being different. It was to get 2647 FPS measured at 78ft, I believe out of a test barrel rather than an actual rifle.

Modern accuracy loads for 175gr SMKs or Nosler CCs are around 46-48gr of a 4895, 4064, Varget, RL-15, etc. Just load to what’s accurate and don’t try to clone the original specs at the expense of accuracy, especially if using modern bullets anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom