• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    You mean the Winchester White Box bullk packs that Walmarts sells for around $37?

They shot decently out of my 1911 - but Christ Almighty is it dirty shooting. Made the end of my Stainless 1911 look like a dirty exhaust pipe in short orders, and the chamber and feed ramp got pretty dirty too.

The good thing - the brass is pretty good- I shot them to get the brass. I only went through a few boxes to break in my pistol (per the manufacture), then I went to all handloads.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I agree with DCR. I found WWB 45acp good but very dirty - even more sooty than Unique in my reloads. DCR convinced me to go to Win 231 for my hand loads and the rounds are MUCH cleaner.

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    Like DCR said, it's good enough. I used it at my last steel shot and it went bang every time. It is on the dirty side though.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    DCR hits the nail on the head again.

I did the same thing, shot it for the brass. My reloads even using Titegroup were leaps and bounds cleaner than the bulk box, more accurate too.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Agree with all of the above. It is dirty but it shoots and functions in all of my 45s well (HKs, Kimber, Colt 1911). I have over 2k rounds of it for the simple fact that it's reasonably priced at Wally World and that I can live with the filth it produces. It has obscured my surefire X300 and X400 to the point where the light was noticeably dimmer, but that was after 100-150 rounds fired in a single session. Regardless, I would recommend it if you can find it for a good price.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I do know they are not running Win231 powder in those. You can tell by the color of the soot on the brass - it almost has a silvery black look (looks almost like Moly coating)

Loading Win 231 at ball round velocity - does not produce any of that, and very little carbon on the cases.

Id be willing to bet Winchester loads a powder that uses less of a charge to produce the Ball Cartridge velocity for cost reason. The excess air in the cases usally contributes to sooty cases.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If your going to stock bulk factory ammo, search for the ammo recalls and keep tabs of your lot #'s, no since in stacking ammo that could be hazardous to you and your guns health.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    My wife tried a 500 rnd UMC bulk pack through her USP tactical and had a few stove pipes and FTE (3-5 out of the whole pack). I can say from personal experience that I have had zero issues with the Winchester and as previously stated, I have stocked up with it. It wouldn't hurt to try one box to see how you like it first and go from there. After all, if you don't mind the soot and your weapon likes it, why not?

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I'm trying to decide if I should to stock up on it or UMC 250rnd bulk boxes or UMC 50rnd boxes.

Id be willing to take your old 45ACP brass off of you. Please dont leave them behind at the range.

I personally like the R-P 45ACP cases, Ive had the best luck with those (for reloading).

Never shot UMC/Remington 45ACP factory ammo before. The price of 45ACP practice ammo is ridiculous these days. A person can eat up alot of cash shooting 45ACP - especially if you have an itchy trigger finger like I do, lol.

Ive seen those bulk UMC 230 Grain 250Ct packs go for $120, and I just laugh at that price.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Id be willing to take your old 45ACP brass off of you. Please dont leave them behind at the range.

I personally like the R-P 45ACP cases, Ive had the best luck with those (for reloading).

Never shot UMC/Remington 45ACP factory ammo before. The price of 45ACP practice ammo is ridiculous these days. A person can eat up alot of cash shooting 45ACP - especially if you have an itchy trigger finger like I do, lol.

Ive seen those bulk UMC 230 Grain 250Ct packs go for $120, and I just laugh at that price.

Not to break this thread but if DCR wants some brass, I have hundreds of spent ones if you are interested. Winchester, Federal, and Remington.

DeadeyeJack

Supporter of Freedom
    Sep 13, 2009
    Dixie
    If you are willing to spend $120 on factory ammo, you should really consider reloading. Even if you start with a Lee turret, you will come out ahead after your first 250 reloads.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    If you are willing to spend $120 on factory ammo, you should really consider reloading. Even if you start with a Lee turret, you will come out ahead after your first 250 reloads.

Lee is good, but I am mass producing .40 S&W with a Dillon Precision RL 550B progressive reloader. May take a while to get ahead while reloading due to the cost of the loader, but it is worth it at 450-550 rounds created every hour.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Not to break this thread but if DCR wants some brass, I have hundreds of spent ones if you are interested. Winchester, Federal, and Remington.
    Id be intrested if the price is right.

Not to break this thread either, but, ahem... It just so happens I need to make a trip to White Marsh tomorrow. I'll be picking up a toy at Gun Connection that also must be fed much .45acp.

It's short notice, but I could be encouraged to pick up those cases Ski169 has and bring them back to Garrett County...for a reasonable cut of the action (brass) of course :)

If you two are communicating on PM's, DCR knows how to reach me on cell if a side trip becomes necessary...:innocent0

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    For bulk, Lee may not be the best option, it depends on your needs.

I crank out 500 in about 2/2.5 hours on my Lee Pro1000 (I'm not going for speed records), for the shooting I do, that's plenty fine, and my initial cost was significantly lower than some of the higher end brands of presses.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    You mean the Winchester White Box bullk packs that Walmarts sells for around $37?

They shot decently out of my 1911 - but Christ Almighty is it dirty shooting. Made the end of my Stainless 1911 look like a dirty exhaust pipe in short orders, and the chamber and feed ramp got pretty dirty too.

The good thing - the brass is pretty good- I shot them to get the brass. I only went through a few boxes to break in my pistol (per the manufacture), then I went to all handloads.

WWB is DIRTY shooting. Other than that, seems to do ok otherwise.

I'm trying to decide if I should to stock up on it or UMC 250rnd bulk boxes or UMC 50rnd boxes.

Rem UMC is very erratic, group sizes open up tremendously (3X to 4X) compared to Federal American Eagle or WWB. I tried it in three different gub'ment 1911's of different manufacturers; Colt Gold Cup, Sig GSR, and Springer TRP with all three giving the same results.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom