• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bhdpal

Jan 3, 2013
    S&W M&P full size 9mm semi-auto 4" barrel 17 cap + 1 chamber.
    Reloading target paper puncher rounds 115 & 124 grain fmj, cci500 primers, rem/brass once fired.

Considered lead bullets but not sure about effects on barrel and feeding of rounds into chamber from mag.

I want to use Win231 or Titegroup but can't decide and can't afford both in 8lb.

Lot of reloading research & loading manuals load data favor Win 231.

Would appreciate recommendations from reloaders on this Forum.

Vision

Apr 10, 2011
    Havre de Grace, MD
    I prefer Win 231, for me it measures better than Titegroup did. I'm using the Lee Turret press setup and loading for both .40 S&W and .45 ACP. I didn't notice a big difference in shooting results so for me it came down to consistency of the powder drop.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    If you can't do both and reload other handgun rounds, get W231. While not my absolute favorite handgun powder, if I could have only one, W231 would be it. It works very well in just about everything from 38 special to 45ACP and 375 mag.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    If you can find both buy a 1 pound can of each, at 7000 grains per pound you can get quite a few rounds from a pound.
    4 grains per round = 1750 rounds per pound. (I'm just using 4 grains as a reference)
    I do use w231 for a bunch of different calibers.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    S&W M&P full size 9mm semi-auto 4" barrel 17 cap + 1 chamber.
    Reloading target paper puncher rounds 115 & 124 grain fmj, cci500 primers, rem/brass once fired.

Considered lead bullets but not sure about effects on barrel and feeding of rounds into chamber from mag.

I want to use Win231 or Titegroup but can't decide and can't afford both in 8lb.

Lot of reloading research & loading manuals load data favor Win 231.

Would appreciate recommendations from reloaders on this Forum.

Lead boolits with Titegroup are pretty smoky, just an FYI.

I like using Bullseye for 9mm and 45, works equally well jacketed or lead and much less smoke than titegroup.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Lead boolits with Titegroup are pretty smoky, just an FYI.

Absolutely agreed.

Rouchna found out how smokey they can be at the NRA Range a few weeks ago - looked like blackpowder was going off.

However, 4.8+ grains of Titegroup under a jacketed round, runs a LOT cleaner.

One of these days I'll try out 231, but currently still have TG, so I'll keep running it until it's gone. I'm using a Pro1000 for .45ACP and TG meters plenty well thru the auto-disk on the Pro1000.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    W231

I prefer W231 because I find TiteGroup to have a snappier recoil (could be totally subjective).
    W231(HP 38 is the same powder) is extremely versatile-I use it for everything from 32 S&W long to plinking loads in 44Mag.
    I also suspect that the smoky loads with cast bullets are due more to the lubricant than the powder.
    DocAitch

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Have used both and have liked both. I've personally had more luck this year finding W231(or HP38---same as W231) than I have Titegroup. That availability issue seems to be getting a bit better now though. Before, I wouldn't (and didn't) hesitate to grab either.

If I could only choose one, with both being available, I'd personally opt for W231. That powder has a lot of applications and has been a consistent favorite of mine for many years.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I load mainly WW231 for pistol loads. Good all around powder.

May not be the best for any given load, but it works in them all.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Win 231/ HP-38 for autoloaders. Love it in 45ACP.

However for long revolver rounds with small charges - Titegroup performs better for me VS 231. Love it in 45 colt!

Titegroup is not position sensitive (difference in velocity with powder resting on primer VS not resting on primer) which makes it ideal for wheelgun loads, which the cases tend to be longer.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    I've had lots of success with titegroup in 45acp and 38spl. It is smoky with lead and plated. I haven't tried w231 yet. Titegroup does go a long way in 45. 5grs under a 200 gr boolit cycle my Sig fine.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I use Titegroup in 9mm, .38sp, .357mag, and .45acp

My loads are all light, which causes smoke, but I can forgive a little soot for the excellent results on target.

BTW, where is everyone seeing Titegroup? I've been out for months.:envy:

Had to resort to Bullseye and Vihtavuori powder lately.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    If you want I'll but the titegroup and trade you a pound or two for a pound or two of 231.
    I have used both for years and each has it's place.
    I use Titegroup or VVN320 for game loads in competition guns and 231 for most other things.

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    I load 9minor, 40major, and .45acp with TG. Its been accurate and consistant across several different platforms. Also, I completely agree about lead and smoke; I had to run moly's this past season and it was a bit smokey.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I use Unique for my low power loads, even in 9x23mm. It is a flake powder and measures very well with my Lee Pro 1000. Otherwise for Major loads in 9x23 I use either AutoComp or HS-6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom