• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2Asales&Supplies

, , Up In Arms Since 2009
    Industry Partner
    Aug 5, 2009
    After a 6 month wait I have 16" Fluted & Non Fluted & 11.3" Non Fluted Stainless Match Grade Barrels in stock. PM for pricing. :)

peace

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2011
    AACo
    Any idea how the upper noted above is "Optimized for Subsonic Ammunition"?

I am not looking at suppressing a 16" .300BLK.

Perhaps it means it can use both the 220gr load of 300 AAC or the subsonic 130gr rounds. The fact it can cycle the subsonic rounds is a big positive. If you ever wanted to go CLASS III which 2A can also help you with: shooting the subsonic ammo through a silencer makes it pretty quiet IMHO. With some semi-auto guns the charge of the round isn't powerful enough to cycle the bolt. If it is that upper, it being optimized for subsonic ammunition is a plus. It's too bad I don't have an AR.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I was just wondering if WC was using a rate of twist meant for the heavy bullets and the barrel would not stabilize the lighter supersonic bullets.

It seems that the spec for the round is a 1:8" and that WC is making the spec.

Looks like I will be buying a barrel and then the parts to make up a carbine.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I was just wondering if WC was using a rate of twist meant for the heavy bullets and the barrel would not stabilize the lighter supersonic bullets.

It seems that the spec for the round is a 1:8" and that WC is making the spec.

Looks like I will be buying a barrel and then the parts to make up a carbine.

answer from Wilson combat is here:

Wilson combat review 300aac ar15.com

Basically, according to the manufacturer, not the best for supersonic. Perhaps even not suitable...

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Drmsparks, thanks. I don't visit that site anymore. I will read that when i have more time.

LOL neither do I but there were not a lot of reviews on the net of the Wilson combat barrels. i had to take what I could find and having a response direct from the manufacturer helped. I'll cut it and post it here....here you go...

Here's a follow up asking them to clarify (for reference, the 16" bbls I was asking about have carbine-length gas):

Chris,
    The concise answer is the specific market segment we are pursuing is subsonic. There are barrels out there that are better suited to supersonic use, ours is not one of them. Rather than sacrifice quality by trying to be "good" at many areas we would rather be "the best" at one.

Thank You,
    XXXXXXXXXX
    Wilson Combat

2Asales&Supplies

Industry Partner
    Aug 5, 2009
    Wilson assured me today that these barrels are fine for Supersonic ammo. I would use an adjustable gas block on one if I built it.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I was in there today buying a BRO lower to replace the HD Lower that I have and if I hadn't dropped $400+ on the lower and LWRC LPK I would have bought one. They are purty. Hell I may even buy one when I go in to pick up my lower next week especially if Mark offers me more chicken.

2Asales&Supplies

Industry Partner
    Aug 5, 2009
    I was in there today buying a BRO lower to replace the HD Lower that I have and if I hadn't dropped $400+ on the lower and LWRC LPK I would have bought one. They are purty. Hell I may even buy one when I go in to pick up my lower next week especially if Mark offers me more chicken.

I'm resisting the urge to take one home myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom