• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    If they made one with a 20" barrel, that would be ok after oct 1, but so far they do not. Maybe we should all contact IMI about having a "sporter model" with 20" barrel? Push it as a hunting and competition sports firearm.

BTW I saw something recently about CA having the size restriction back in 2010, so this under 30" thing in the orginal bill was a CA thing. Anyone know what BS gobbledegook CA used for justifying this? MD obviously just used the Commiefornia model without any idea of why.
    An enterpising FFL in MD with a manufacturing tag could acquire a Tavor and pin a long flash hider on it and make it longer than 30", then sell it cash and carry.

Just sayin'. Dealers need to seriously look at the manufacturing side of things. There is a lot of leeway there.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    An enterpising FFL in MD with a manufacturing tag could acquire a Tavor and pin a long flash hider on it and make it longer than 30", then sell it cash and carry.

Just sayin'. Dealers need to seriously look at the manufacturing side of things. There is a lot of leeway there.

I'd rather the 20" barrel myself LOL- a little more accurate shooting! But hey, whatever is needed will do!

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville

If I read the recent "American Rifleman" article correctly, the Tavor is assembled in Harrisburg, PA area. An enterprising FFL could go there and perhaps have a 20" barrel attached from the manufacturer and have group buy of perhaps 500+ in MD after 10-1. I am assuming the antis would soon get wind of it and by '15 add it to their precious list, but then they would be adding a non-regulated rifle to it and look even more silly. A Maryland special?

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    They will be selling an 18" barrel at some point, if not already.

The barrel assembly is custom. It's not an AR. I don't think you could just stick any old 20" pipe up there and have it work. The barrels are stamped IWI Israel (or something) and they are imported with the rifle. The manufacturing consists of finishing with US parts, and the flash hider and magazine are each one of the ten US parts required for it to be 922-legal. I don't see IWI making a 20" barrel for MD consumers. If it is not a stock option, then it ain't gonna happen.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    They will be selling an 18" barrel at some point, if not already.

The barrel assembly is custom. It's not an AR. I don't think you could just stick any old 20" pipe up there and have it work. The barrels are stamped IWI Israel (or something) and they are imported with the rifle. The manufacturing consists of finishing with US parts, and the flash hider and magazine are each one of the ten US parts required for it to be 922-legal. I don't see IWI making a 20" barrel for MD consumers. If it is not a stock option, then it ain't gonna happen.

Yeah, you're likely certainly correct...but I wonder if any dealers are going to want to get manufacture license (to become like Beretta) so they can import banned rifles in to adjust to make legal. Might be just as cost effective to have them done out of state by the original manufacturer. I am confident someone will come up with something legal and interesting after the 10-1 troubles start.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Yeah, you're likely certainly correct...but I wonder if any dealers are going to want to get manufacture license (to become like Beretta) so they can import banned rifles in to adjust to make legal. Might be just as cost effective to have them done out of state by the original manufacturer. I am confident someone will come up with something legal and interesting after the 10-1 troubles start.
    There is only one importer in PA. Dealers here who get their manufacturer stamp (not a big deal) can then get the rifles from out of state and pin the hiders themselves and then sell cash and carry.

The 18" model is a little over 27" as-is. That is close enough to the MD length requirement that some standard hiders would probably fit the bill. Standard 1/2-28 threading is used, so you don't need anything exotic.

Again, I think there is a market for those enterprising enough to take on the manufacturers side of the law. Not just for Tavors, but for a number of firearms.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Absolutely agree. There will be a market for these work arounds after 10-1, it will just be whether or not anyone has any money left by then to be able to buy them.:lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom