Will the New York ruling ever take place in MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Where in the constitution does it state that you need training to exercise a right?
    Exactly. It's not there. You don't need to demonstrate knowledge or skill to exercise any other right. I agree it's a good idea to know what you're doing but the constitution does not support that being a prerequisite to exercising the right.

beavisman1

Band Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 25, 2022
    Virginia
    Yes. Eventually. Assume MGA will carve out lagnauge that grants gun owners the privilege of carrying concealed in their front lawn while the sun is up. SMH....

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Where in the constitution does it state that you need training to exercise a right?
    In this case it can, sort of, be implied in the "well regulated" part of the amendment. If you squint real hard while wearing dark sunglasses at night in a cave. I mean, it's right there! All you have to do is willfully ignore the plain language "shall not be infringed" and you can do anything.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Nonsense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've been to the MDGA to testify against anti gun owner bills, and from what I've seen and heard directly from several of the legislators during hearings, BGOS is fully justified. Some of the leadership, like Atterbeary, genuinely, gutturally, hate us gun owners and perceive us as the embodiment of evil. How would you treat someone you viewed that way, if you had the power to affect them?

Last edited:

beavisman1

Band Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 25, 2022
    Virginia
    I've been to the MDGA to testify against anti gun owner bills, and from what I've seen and heard directly from several of the legislators during hearings, BGOS is fully justified. Some of the leadership, like Atterbeary, genuinely, gutturally, hate us gun owners and perceive us as the embodiment of evil. How would you treat someone you viewed that way, if you had the power to affect them?

Exactly. The sheer hartred for gun owners in Maryland is cultural. It may well be the most anti-gun legislature in the country. Anyone who thinks MGA won't fight this tooth and nail despite how futile it is......is lying to themselves. Come next session, expect for the demanding mommys hopped up on Uvalde crocodile tears hyperventilating with fear about the possibility that someone *might* now be carrying beside them at the supermarket. HBARs, Mags, and much more will be under attack. Marylanders will also have a Democrat governor who will lead the gun control charge, which will make Hogan look like a stalwart GOA member by comparison. Maryland gun owners haven't had to deal with a dem in the governors mansion in eight years. Perfect storm of BS on the horizon...be ready.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Victory for two days and some have already gone back to defeat.

We should be looking forward to 1983 fees, paid by the very people that voted in the hateful politicians.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    some of you guys really need to sit and read the opinion. Thomas pre-called them
    Out on shenanigans.

beavisman1

Band Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 25, 2022
    Virginia
    some of you guys really need to sit and read the opinion. Thomas pre-called them
    Out on shenanigans.
    Yes it was a masterful opinion, he knew what they would do. BUT...anti-gun legislators don't give a rip. Legislatures and lower courts ignored Heller/McDonald for the last ten years.

Don't get me wrong, Maryland is much better off now....dang right. But, don't think for a second MGA is going to do anything sensible with our rights.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yes it was a masterful opinion, he knew what they would do. BUT...anti-gun legislators don't give a rip. Legislatures and lower courts ignored Heller/McDonald for the last ten years.

Don't get me wrong, Maryland is much better off now....dang right. But, don't think for a second MGA is going to do anything sensible with our rights.
    They can try. They’ll get smacked down.

Do legislators have any kind of immunity they can lose by depriving citizens of rights, intentionally, under color of law?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    They can try. They’ll get smacked down.

Do legislators have any kind of immunity they can lose by depriving citizens of rights, intentionally, under color of law?
    I'm pretty sure USC 42 section 1983 only applies to deprivation of rights in practice, i.e. by someone in the Executive Branch which directly harms an individual while acting under color of law. See:
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/1983

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    It's not clear to me whether qualified immunity is applicable to legislators. However, the current SCOTUS might be interested, down the road, in addressing the issue as some legislatures proceed to crap on their decisions, and are sued for their effrontery.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    They will, but the smack down(s) may take years and piles of litigation cash. Which is always their game. Hopefully the appeals courts will just want to get it over with.
    I don’t think they’ll take long when the judge has his attention called to a couple paragraphs of Bruen. Nobody wants their decisions reversed.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Found it;

NJ ATTORNEY GENERAL
    ISSUES DIRECTIVE REQUIRING
    CARRY PERMIT APPLICATIONS
    TO BE PROCESSED WITHOUT
    "JUSTIFIABLE NEED"

June 24, 2022. At the close of business today, and in light of the Bruen decision, the New Jersey Attorney General issued a directive to law enforcement agencies and prosecutors mandating that NJ carry permit applications now be processed WITHOUT an applicant having to prove "justifiable need."
    I will absolutely laugh my ass off if NJ gets Shall Issue before Maryland.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

I’m well aware as I’ve also been to Annapolis and testified and I’ve seen Atterbeary’s hatred of gun owners.
    My point is they could’ve passed all of this years ago but they haven’t.
    Many reasons for that. Some members aren’t full on gun haters, some realize the optics of trying to pass everything at once, others simply don’t want to take it that far, and there may be one or two who actually give a sh*t what we say when we testify. (Ok the last one is debatable lol)
    Every year people here claim the sky is falling in Annapolis this year. Some years are bad and others don’t see any gun legislation passed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom