Will Sheriff Timothy K. Cameron Sign a Form 1 for SBR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoufCustom

Jan 30, 2010
    MD
    Does anyone know if Sheriff Timothy K. Cameron will sign a Form 1 for a SBR? I am thinking about filling out the paperwork this weekend and making all my arrangements for engraving, but want to know if I am walking into a no sign zone?

http://www.firstsheriff.com/

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    STM Sheriff's office gets pretty confused when it comes to firearms stuff.
    Know what you need done, so you can guide them.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    makes me wonder, do you have to use the sheriff of the county you reside?
    yes, that may be a stupid question but i'm askin' anyway. :D

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    makes me wonder, do you have to use the sheriff of the county you reside?
    yes, that may be a stupid question but i'm askin' anyway. :D

I think the form states it needs to be signed off by you CLEO, which would decidedly be the chief LEO in your area.

Good question though. I'd like to know, even though I understand my Sheriff is pro2A. :thumbsup:

Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    301 475 4200 ext 1900

That's their number, i would call and ask see what they say. I would most likely ask to make and appointment to speak to the sheriff himself.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    When I called the Saint Marys sheriffs office, over the C&R form (for the address to send it). They were perplexed with my questions, and kept repeating that they do not have a firearms division.

Took a little bit of them listening, while I explained. the result I got my C&R :D

edit: Gouf, it was easier to talk the Sheriff into doing nothing, than you actually getting something from them. Call them up, can't hurt.

marc357

Jan 27, 2008
    WY
    I've met Tim, he's a good guy. He was/is an instructor with Iron Brigade Armory when I took the Chandler Precision Rifle Classes @ Blackwater.

He's "one of us", and from what I could tell, a strong proponent of gun ownership by responsible citizens.

All that said, The Maryland State Police are typically the ones who do the sign off (after they do a background check on you), and tend to get kinda pissy about it when local law enforcement goes over their head on this. Some Sherriffs don't give a damn, and will sign anyway- some try not to step on MSP's toes.

As anti-gun as MSP can be, they are more than willing to sign- although they run you thru the FBI database first (the same thing ATF will do when they get your form)- and MSP can be a bit slow. I think it took them 3 or 4 weeks? to get my Form 4 back to me with their blessing.

Give Tim a call, or stop by. He's a reasonable guy. Worth a shot.

Marc

keepshooting

Aug 22, 2009
    Waldorf
    At one point in the 1990s, ATF would reject any form that wasn't signed off by the Maryland State Police. So unless things changed when things went to WV......

Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    At one point in the 1990s, ATF would reject any form that wasn't signed off by the Maryland State Police. So unless things changed when things went to WV......

This is what i mentioned the other day when i was talking to you about NFA stuff. I know some LOCAL LEO's in MD will sign it from what i have read here.

Tree Rat

Always a good target
    May 20, 2005
    Sheriff Cameron has and will sign for the CLEO requirement for qualified individuals.

Make contact with Debbie Zylak at the sheriffs department @ 301 475-4200, ext 1990. She will walk you through there requirements and the particulars.

TR

GoufCustom

Jan 30, 2010
    MD
    Sheriff Cameron has and will sign for the CLEO requirement for qualified individuals.

Make contact with Debbie Zylak at the sheriffs department @ 301 475-4200, ext 1990. She will walk you through there requirements and the particulars.

TR

I called them on Tuesday after I got fingerprinted with the MSP which wasnt hard, the guy that did it was a retired cop and was very nice, and was actually interested in what I was building.

So I called the Sheriffs office and talked to his secretary, don't remember her name, but I told her I wanted to stop in an see the Sheriff to get his signature on an ATF Form 1, and she stepped away from the phone came back and asked if I would mind just dropping it off to the office in an envelope and have it sent, via interoffice mail to the Sheriff. She said that would work best given that he is very busy... So that is what I did, I wrote a note on my folder and told the Sheriff what it was, that I wanted he signature and that he could call me with any questions. And I told his Secretary that I would stop back by to pick it up, and she said she would call me. This all happened on Tuesday (2/16).

With all of that, I am starting to think that this was a bad idea and I should have been more forceful with her and made a firm appointment. :sad20:

Any chance Debbie is his secretary, I will likely give her a call tomorrow.

GoufCustom

Jan 30, 2010
    MD
    Talked to the Sheriffs office today an they received my form 1 and they will run a background check and sign the form. Assuming it comes back clean. Not sure on the turn around time.

GoufCustom

Jan 30, 2010
    MD
    Got the call today, the Sheriffs Secretary, my forms are ready to be picked up, I am headed out tomorrow to grab them and mail them off to the ATF. Less than a 2 wk turn around time, they are fairly fast and nice over there at the St. Mary's Sheriff's Office.

Now the ATF wait...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom