• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    What is the difference between a RCBS Small Base die set and a standard die set? All of my RCBS die sets are X-dies that I use to reload for my bolt guns. Trying to figure out what I need to reload for my ARs now. Currently, I am using a RCBS Rock Chucker press, but will probably get a Dillon XL650 after the new year.

Giving myself a headache today trying to figure out all the different cartridge options for the AR-15 and LR-308, the ballistics of the cartridges, and whether components are readily available for reloading for them or ammo is readily available for them.

Figured out the handgun reloading last night and that was simple.

Thanks

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    get a wilson case gage and regular full length sizing dies. adjust the dies per their instructions, and double check with the gauge and you'll do fine.

components are out there, you just need to find the right combos. with .223 and .308 there are dozens of powders to choose from.

even mid panic, I was reloading .223 for about 22 cents per round with stuff I bought then.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    x-dies are good for reloading brass fired out of your gun to be refired out of that same gun. they work the brass a little less.

full length dies can resize almost brass fired out of any gun to be fired out of any other gun of the same caliber. good for resizing mil surplus brass.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    x-base barely sizes

full length factory sizes

small base can adjust to "over size" or shrink brass fired out of loose chambers.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    x-base barely sizes

full length factory sizes

small base can adjust to "over size" or shrink brass fired out of loose chambers.

This is what I am looking at for my AR:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/51...2-die-set-with-taper-crimp-68mm-remington-spc

Granted, in .223 Rem to start out and then possibly 6.8 Rem SPC after I get the entire .223 Rem under control. There are so many cartridge options with the AR that my head is spinning trying to figure out the first couple I want to try out.

Will those dies work in the Rock Chucker?

Will those dies do a full resize so I can use any brass I find at the range or once fired that I end up buying?

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Small Base Dies are used to bring cases to minimum-specified dimensions in the body and shoulder for improved feeding and proper function in semiautomatics, pump-actions and some lever-action rifles.
    Also to be used to resize brass fired in a automatic weapon. ( once fired mil brass 223 / 308 / 30-06 )

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Thanks guys. I think I finally understand the difference in the dies. X-dies don't really resize the brass but only the neck while preventing the brass from elongating. Then there are neck expanding dies, full length sizing dies, and finally the small base sizing dies that will work best for the cartridges used to feed an AR. Nothing in this hobby can be simple.

Going to have to add a lot of stuff to my Midway "wish list". lol

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I dont think you'll need the small base, as long as you adjust your full length sizer according to the instructions, and check them in a chamber gage. that's what I do, and I've not had any problems.

the small base can over work your brass, reducing its life, and require you to trim more often which sucks.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Small Base Dies are used to bring cases to minimum-specified dimensions in the body and shoulder for improved feeding and proper function in semiautomatics, pump-actions and some lever-action rifles.
    Also to be used to resize brass fired in a automatic weapon. ( once fired mil brass 223 / 308 / 30-06 )

^ This.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I've used both small base and regular dies in both my ARs and my Mini-14. I stopped using the small base dies since they caused problems when I used the primer pocket swager from RCBS. I've never had a feeding problem using standard dies in .223 and 6.8 SPC.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    You can run about any die in the Rockchucker.. I have.. lol

I use std dies for 223, no issue, yet.. but I went to small base dies for the 308win. I use Lee dies mostly, very good quality, their neck dies are excellent and they are not priced as some of the upper end names. No neck dies for autoloaders tho.. only my bolt guns.

I don't use a swager, I cut the crimps off, but when I got my 223 dies the small base dies were pretty non-existent.. I'll probably add a small base 223 FL resizing die to my arsenal soon.. ;)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1) Small base dies are the same outside as the other dies. Only difference is is sizes a bit further down on the case and makes the body about 0.0005" smaller.

2) Have loaded .223/5.56 and .308/7.62 for multiple semi auto rifles over the years (THOUSANDS OF ROUNDS) and never had the need for a small base die. And a lot of the brass was once fired mil brass that had been fired in machine guns.

I do know some people that have needed small base dies, but in that case, I would buy a Redding Small Base BODY die, that only sizes the body, and only use it when needed (case will not fit in a case gauge). And while not recommended, it is possible to resize loaded rounds with a body die, or at least I have been told that. :)

Small base dies work the brass more, leading to shorter brass life.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have to ask Jim, How do small base dies affect swedgeing primer pockets ?

The RCBS swager uses a pin that goes through the case to push the bottom of the case onto the button that removes the crimp. When I used the small base die, the neck of the case was skinnier than with the normal die, so the case would get hung up on the pin. With the standard die, this didn't happen.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    The RCBS swager uses a pin that goes through the case to push the bottom of the case onto the button that removes the crimp. When I used the small base die, the neck of the case was skinnier than with the normal die, so the case would get hung up on the pin. With the standard die, this didn't happen.

Now that's interesting, I wonder if the expander in your small base sizer is of the correct size or the swedger pin is oversize ? Just for fun I would mic both and send rcbs a email and see what they said.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    1) Small base dies are the same outside as the other dies. Only difference is is sizes a bit further down on the case and makes the body about 0.0005" smaller.

2) Have loaded .223/5.56 and .308/7.62 for multiple semi auto rifles over the years (THOUSANDS OF ROUNDS) and never had the need for a small base die. And a lot of the brass was once fired mil brass that had been fired in machine guns.

I do know some people that have needed small base dies, but in that case, I would buy a Redding Small Base BODY die, that only sizes the body, and only use it when needed (case will not fit in a case gauge). And while not recommended, it is possible to resize loaded rounds with a body die, or at least I have been told that. :)

Small base dies work the brass more, leading to shorter brass life.

Thanks for the info. Don't think I would EVER have the cajones to resize loaded ammunition unless I was wearing a lot of body armor and standing a ways away too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom