Wife can get an Enfield from Afghanistan and send it home!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    I found out the Wife can pick up an Enfield from Afghanistan and send it home! She sent me a .pdf with all the local stuff she can buy at the local bazaar that they bring on the camp, and on there was Enfields for $250-$375 with a note saying you just need a letter from the Jag to send them home.
    It also mentioned Martini Henry's, but not on what was available at the bazaar this time.

I'm wondering if it would be worth it to pick one up or not. I know if I was there it would be a lot easier since I could research the markings and everything (what is also suggested on the bazaar sheet - having someone knowledgeable about them go with those who aren't familiar), but having her pick one up on her own probably isn't the best plan.

I thought that was pretty cool.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Tell her to play hardball on the price. Act interested and eager, but put off by the price. I bet she could get them to knock 2/3 off.

BTW, not sure I'd fire it unless and until it was checked by a qualified gunsmith. They make a lot of these things in the hills. Markings don't necessarily mean much, there. Might be completely serviceable, might be a complete hack.

Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    Tell her to play hardball on the price. Act interested and eager, but put off by the price. I bet she could get them to knock 2/3 off.

BTW, not sure I'd fire it unless and until it was checked by a qualified gunsmith. They make a lot of these things in the hills. Markings don't necessarily mean much, there. Might be completely serviceable, might be a complete hack.

That was the "fair price" they had listed. Their asking price was more. They have everything listed like that. They put the "asking price" on one side and then a "fair price" of what you should expect to pay after bartering. They suggest starting at half to 1/3 of their asking price.

Yeah, I told I wasn't too interested for the reasons you listed. The same with the antique Afghan swords. They are great at faking the petina, so you never really know what you are getting.

Midgettem1

Jarhead
    Jun 7, 2011
    NOVA
    I'd agree with Half-cocked; if you do end up with one, make sure you get it checked by a gunsmith. One of my insructors had an Afghan Martini-Henry from Afghan with a blown-out barrel. Apparently it was a self-manufacture on the part of the tribesmen.

12a10

Apr 6, 2009
    AA County Crownsville
    Bad deal at $275----

TGI International is selling the exact same guns--probably in better condition
    for a lot less. Expect to get an Enfield MK1 in complete and working condition for about $80. I have bought 4 of them so far and all have been
    decent although I wouldn't shoot one with .303 brit. Fired one using a chamber adapter that converts rifle to 32ACP.

Go onto the Gunbroker site and type in "Lee enfield volley". You will get a whole page of guns to bid on. These seldom sell for much more than the
    opening bid. They charge $25 for shipping to a C&R.

Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    That was the only reason I'd be interested in one, would be a cheap wall hanger and conversation piece. I'm not big on old rifles, especially ones that come out of 3rd world countries :)

I just thought it was pretty cool you could even get one and send it home via USPS.

I'm looking forward to whatever she sends back. I picked up some nice rugs while I was in Saudi. I'm hoping this time we get a really nice persian (we couldn't afford it back then).

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I was in kandahar and they would sell a bunch of the old guns at the bazarr. There were flintlocks, enfields, sniders, martini henry. I also saw webley revolvers. One guy had a couple of really nice winchesters.

Some of the old guns= had been "repaired" with questionable parts. Some were outright fakes.

Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    I was in kandahar and they would sell a bunch of the old guns at the bazarr. There were flintlocks, enfields, sniders, martini henry. I also saw webley revolvers. One guy had a couple of really nice winchesters.

Some of the old guns= had been "repaired" with questionable parts. Some were outright fakes.[/QUOTE]

This is what I warned her about on 90% of the stuff. Especially the knives and other "antiques". Patina is easy to manufacturer now, and they are GOOD at it.

I'm sure she'll get to know who the good vendors are since she'll be there for a year. :o
    There is a lot of good stuff you can pick up for a good deal as long as you don't go into it thinking you found a GOLDEN gem in the middle of a desert.

She HATES shopping, so I'm sure she won't get much unless I ask for something specific.

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    For that price you can get a real nice functioning one, prices on Enfields have been dropping lately probably due to ammunition scarcity/pricing.

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    Most of the guns over there now are newly made in Khyber Agency just over on the Pak side of the border. I spent 4.5 years in Afghanistan and now I'm posted on the other side of the border in Pakistan. Most of the original stuff was long gone by the time I got there in 2006 and I doubt there's much of anything good left.

I picked up a Martini-Henry in Kabul a few years ago but left it over there as the APO had just shut down shipment of antique rifles regardless of JAG approval (apparently this was temporary). A friend who claimed to be read up on old British rifles seemed recognize the markings and recommended that I purchase it; I think I paid $135 for it. After leaving Afghanistan I never pursued having someone send it over for me because I'm pretty convinced it was a fake and just not worth my time.

Being on the Pak side of the border and having contacts who live in Khyber Agency I've seen what they can make as far as antique weapons go. They read the books too and can make weapons that look the part with correct markings and even patina.

Long story short, if you want to buy it as a curio and wall hanger then by all means go for it. Just don't expect an authentic piece and don't pay anything near what they're asking.

Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    Most of the guns over there now are newly made in Khyber Agency just over on the Pak side of the border. I spent 4.5 years in Afghanistan and now I'm posted on the other side of the border in Pakistan. Most of the original stuff was long gone by the time I got there in 2006 and I doubt there's much of anything good left.

I picked up a Martini-Henry in Kabul a few years ago but left it over there as the APO had just shut down shipment of antique rifles regardless of JAG approval (apparently this was temporary). A friend who claimed to be read up on old British rifles seemed recognize the markings and recommended that I purchase it; I think I paid $135 for it. After leaving Afghanistan I never pursued having someone send it over for me because I'm pretty convinced it was a fake and just not worth my time.

Being on the Pak side of the border and having contacts who live in Khyber Agency I've seen what they can make as far as antique weapons go. They read the books too and can make weapons that look the part with correct markings and even patina.

Long story short, if you want to buy it as a curio and wall hanger then by all means go for it. Just don't expect an authentic piece and don't pay anything near what they're asking.

Guess you didn't read the thread. I've been there and done that. I wouldn't buy one for numerous reasons.
    Still pretty funny that you can. I couldn't buy that stuff when I was in the desert in 94'.

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    Sorry Hol3shot, wasn't trying to imply that you hadn't BTDT and were going to buy one. By "you" I was implying anyone reading the thread who is there, going over, has contacts etc who may be thinking of buying one.

Meant to write a quick reply and went off on a pointless narrative tangent. Long day and a few margaritas will do that.

Jettster

May 18, 2008
    I saw a documentary of Vice tv/magazine about the host going to the Kashmir region and walking around the bazaars. Each Kiosk was filled with guns that were all hand made. Everything from 1911's, AK's, AR's, M1's... One gunsmith was blind and mute, but was making a weapon. It was ridiculous.

Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    Sorry Hol3shot, wasn't trying to imply that you hadn't BTDT and were going to buy one. By "you" I was implying anyone reading the thread who is there, going over, has contacts etc who may be thinking of buying one.

Meant to write a quick reply and went off on a pointless narrative tangent. Long day and a few margaritas will do that.

No worries, we've all been there. I just quit about 10 years ago is all ;)

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County

Some of the old guns= had been "repaired" with questionable parts. Some were outright fakes.

Mee too... most were junk. I stayed away. Bought Lapis jewelry instead :D

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I would look at the French Lebels. The ones I saw while I was there were real, not copies (many reasons for that). Most of the other rifles were copies or horrible parts guns. Nice if you want a souvenir but nothing more.

I wouldn't buy anything else that I saw while I was there except for the Remington bayonets (Enfields), those were a good deal while I was there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom