• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    Anyone have one ? Thoughts - mistake ? Tenpoint sounds like a good company from what I've read so far..
    Ordered one yesterday, should have it tomorrow, bought it for deer season this year, it's my first bow. Any advice from the pros would be appreciated !

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Don't have experience with this particular crossbow but most of the so called "bargain" models work great. Get a bag target for your backyard and a half dozen more bolts with some field tips--don't shoot more than a couple at the same spot at one time as you probably will group them close together and its not good to nick them . Walmart sells very decent 20 and 22" carbon bolts---and you also don't have to spend $45 for 3 broadheads --most any mechanicals work just fine on deer. Remember you may only get one use out of it when shot in the field. Just because you can shoot 50 yards with it does not make it a good idea. You will be surprised at how accurate they are. Welcome to the club

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    Thanks for the info, I gathered it was a good deal at $319 being the same "family" of Wicked Ridge's line of Tenpoint budget bows. I'll have it today and I'm headed to PA in 2 weeks, so naturally shopping for bow goodies will be on the itinerary ! You think the walmart carbon/fiberglass arrows are ok you think for just practice - I think they might be Easton ? It comes with three XX75 (I think) aluminum arrows, big difference in performance between the two ?

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Can't help on that bow, but I think it should be just fine. What I can say is buy good arrows and spine and stiffness does matter!

I use a KI 350 and have used it for years. I got it as an out of the box discount on a auction with a store that went OOB. It did not come with arrows. So I bought Carbon express pile drivers. They seemed okay until I shot broadheads. Montec G5 and they planed all over the place. I got a spine tester and the Pile drivers were very soft spined arrows. Changed over to KI branded arrows and all planning problems went away. Black eagle executioner bolts are also said to be stiff in spine. It did not matter expensive vs cheap as Pile drivers cost about as much as any others. It should come with arrows and I would test them with broadheads. If they flow like field points stay with the same arrows and get more. Most manufacturers have tested their crossbows to their arrows to shoot properly.

I use the Muzzy HBX hybrid head and kills and bleeds good for me. Options vary heavily on favorite broadhead. I like the hybrid as it is still a two blade in the mechanical was to fail. I have one broadhead I an still using that went through a doe and 12" in the dirt, resharpened and spined a buck and barely bent one expandable and still usable.

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    Archeryrob thanks for the 2 cents, that's what I'm finding out - the broadheads and arrows are limitless ! Being new to the archery thing, I'm leaning toward the simplicity factor at this point, staying with a fixed broadhead possibly a G5, but I'll see what works best and go from there. I think I want to sort the bolts out first, then tackle the broadhead. All subject to change 50 times of course !

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I don't have any experience with that particular model, but did start out with a Wicked Ridge Invader G3. No issues with it at all over the several years that I used it and it took a number of deer reliably with complete arrow passthrough. I upgraded to a TenPoint a couple of years ago and, likewise no issues. The company puts out an excellent product. IIRC, most Wicked Ridge models are simply prior year's TenPoint models that are re-branded under the WR label.

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    I don't have any experience with that particular model, but did start out with a Wicked Ridge Invader G3. No issues with it at all over the several years that I used it and it took a number of deer reliably with complete arrow passthrough. I upgraded to a TenPoint a couple of years ago and, likewise no issues. The company puts out an excellent product. IIRC, most Wicked Ridge models are simply prior year's TenPoint models that are re-branded under the WR label.

I think mine is actually a 2020 or 21 release of the Blackhawk XT in this year's lineup, but It's exactly what I wanted. Decent quality, not ridiculously expensive, but not cheap chinese crap either. Now I have another tool in the hunting season shed, got a muzzleloader last year, and a 350 Legend 2 years ago, so now I have everything covered !!

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Use the arrows they sent with the kit and try the G5's. They are good heads. Many people go to hidden mechanicals because xbows got such bad raps for bad arrow flight with broadheads catching the wind and planing off course. The softer the spine, weaker the shaft the more it flexes on release, making it catch more wind. You fix this by going mechanical and hiding the surface that cause palning or, shooting stiffer arrows. The xbow circles do not mention spine, but it is still just as important.

If that whicked ridge shoots half moon or flat nocks these are a good stiff arrow if you switch from the ones they sent with the bow. https://amzn.to/46QA68I

These bows are ridiculously powerful. If there is a tree on the other side of your deer, you will not recover your arrow and broadhead. It will bury so deep, you'd have to cut the tree down to get it back. Last doe I shot I double lunged her and the arrows was at least half way in the ground. Used an extra bolt to decock it and buried up to to the fletching in soft ground.

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    Use the arrows they sent with the kit and try the G5's. They are good heads. Many people go to hidden mechanicals because xbows got such bad raps for bad arrow flight with broadheads catching the wind and planing off course. The softer the spine, weaker the shaft the more it flexes on release, making it catch more wind. You fix this by going mechanical and hiding the surface that cause palning or, shooting stiffer arrows. The xbow circles do not mention spine, but it is still just as important.

If that whicked ridge shoots half moon or flat nocks these are a good stiff arrow if you switch from the ones they sent with the bow. https://amzn.to/46QA68I

These bows are ridiculously powerful. If there is a tree on the other side of your deer, you will not recover your arrow and broadhead. It will bury so deep, you'd have to cut the tree down to get it back. Last doe I shot I double lunged her and the arrows was at least half way in the ground. Used an extra bolt to decock it and buried up to to the fletching in soft ground.
    I was also pondering arrows, aluminum or carbon 20/22 inch etc.. I was really thinking of buying a handful of walmart specials just to shoot at a target with to get a feel of things then go to the xx75's it came with. Those arrows in the link look like a good option too.

Of what I've seen on youtube or where ever, these things appear to have enormous power to them. This thing almost scares me ! Like anything else, just have to take my time and seek professional help when needed. I'm a memeber at IWLA Damascus which has an archery range and plenty of bow hunters. I'm thinking I'm gonna seek out a few of them !

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Crossbows are a lot less sensitive to spine as the arrows are so much shorter than vertical bows.. I have shot a variety of weights & length arrows thru 3different crossbows and at 30-40 yards they all shoot within m o d. (Minute of deer). Don't drive yourself crazy. Deer are very thin skinned and 300 fps blows right thru. If you can hit a 9" paper plate consistently you will kill deer. Once the scope is sighted in you will be amazed

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Crossbows are a lot less sensitive to spine as the arrows are so much shorter than vertical bows.. I have shot a variety of weights & length arrows thru 3different crossbows and at 30-40 yards they all shoot within m o d. (Minute of deer). Don't drive yourself crazy. Deer are very thin skinned and 300 fps blows right thru. If you can hit a 9" paper plate consistently you will kill deer. Once the scope is sighted in you will be amazed
    This. The scope drop points should also be part of sight in/verificaiton. If you're hunting public lands, a range finder to measure reference points from your location (well prior to a shot) will help keep your sights on in the moment.

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    One of the things I keep running across in the instructions is failure to use basically ANYTHING that isn't Tenpoints voids the warranty. I get using the proper arrows etc, but I also smell either BS or lawyerproofing here a bit too.. How can using a different brand discharge arrow be THAT big of a deal if its within reasonable weight, length, nock ?
    308scout I do have a rangefinder - I'll be using a lot of it !
    Thanks for humoring my dumb questions here too to everyone :bowdown:

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Oh yeah, remove all your scope screws one at a time and put them back in with lock tight blue. Lots of pent up energy left in xbows to vibrate them loose. Did it on mine and my daughters ten point as we noticed the scope was loose as shooting a bunch. Even had the same thing happen on my CVA and the scope mount screws, so I do it with everything now.

You can try the walmart arrows and maybe they will work. My KI planed with Pile drivers while my buddies Bear Xbow shot them fine. From tenpoints perspective, Arrows weight is important because light arrows do not absorb enough energy and leave it in the bow. They have only tested it with their equipment. BUT, they only need to know, what you tell them.

They are very powerful. The only deer that I did not shoot through was the 8 point I spined right under my tree. If your arrow goes through a deer and hits a big tree, just forget about the arrow and broadhead.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    The pile drivers didn't work for me either. Like 2' off at 30 yards.

Highly recommend the black eagle executioner bolts. I use those with rage broadheads, and kill a bunch of deer.

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    Oh yeah, remove all your scope screws one at a time and put them back in with lock tight blue. Lots of pent up energy left in xbows to vibrate them loose. Did it on mine and my daughters ten point as we noticed the scope was loose as shooting a bunch. Even had the same thing happen on my CVA and the scope mount screws, so I do it with everything now.

You can try the walmart arrows and maybe they will work. My KI planed with Pile drivers while my buddies Bear Xbow shot them fine. From tenpoints perspective, Arrows weight is important because light arrows do not absorb enough energy and leave it in the bow. They have only tested it with their equipment. BUT, they only need to know, what you tell them.

They are very powerful. The only deer that I did not shoot through was the 8 point I spined right under my tree. If your arrow goes through a deer and hits a big tree, just forget about the arrow and broadhead.
    I definately planned on pulling the scope, and either lapping the rings or possibly replacing them - the Tenpoint scope looks more than good enough for my aging eyes, so that is definately staying for the mean time. The rings look to be maybe finest qwawity Chinesium, so I'll see on those..

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    The pile drivers didn't work for me either. Like 2' off at 30 yards.

Highly recommend the black eagle executioner bolts. I use those with rage broadheads, and kill a bunch of deer.
    I'll look for those and grab a few to try out !
    On a side note for anyone using a Tenpoint, have any of you come upwith a good nock solution, in a one piece to the Alphanock ? That seems to be the ONE piece of the arrow equation you don't really want to stray too far from factory on. Unless in the real archery world (which I'm lacking) it does'nt make that much difference ?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I just went and looked at this bow I have and its a Wicked Ridge.
    I shot a couple of nice deer with it and it works like a champ.
    It has this system built into the buttstock for cocking but wont act as a let down.
    Bolts are about 22" long, paired up with 100 gr cheap as can find folding broadheads.
    Its accurate as any 22 rf to 50 yards and consistent, loud heavy and hard to manage in a blind or ladder stand but otherwise gets it done without much effort.
    I bet I shot it about 100 times and note some string wear, the magnets that support the cocking system are a touch weak so you have to take a moment to land them correctly.
    It was a package that was turned over to me from a gun bash or something as new, three arrow quiver, couple of bolts and an optic without little to no magnification and very poor dusk light transmission.
    Over all I cant complain for what it is but I think a regular bow is more satisfying and a whole lot easier to manage for actual carry and and use.
    But, it puts them right on the mark every time as accurate as any rifle to just beyond a traditional bows normal effective range. Which is about 20- 25 yards + or - average for me.

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    I just went and looked at this bow I have and its a Wicked Ridge.
    I shot a couple of nice deer with it and it works like a champ.
    It has this system built into the buttstock for cocking but wont act as a let down.
    Bolts are about 22" long, paired up with 100 gr cheap as can find folding broadheads.
    Its accurate as any 22 rf to 50 yards and consistent, loud heavy and hard to manage in a blind or ladder stand but otherwise gets it done without much effort.
    I bet I shot it about 100 times and note some string wear, the magnets that support the cocking system are a touch weak so you have to take a moment to land them correctly.
    It was a package that was turned over to me from a gun bash or something as new, three arrow quiver, couple of bolts and an optic without little to no magnification and very poor dusk light transmission.
    Over all I cant complain for what it is but I think a regular bow is more satisfying and a whole lot easier to manage for actual carry and and use.
    But, it puts them right on the mark every time as accurate as any rifle to just beyond a traditional bows normal effective range. Which is about 20- 25 yards + or - average for me.
    What you have sounds like what I just bought minus the cocking system. I figured I would use this for a few years, really get a feel of exactly what I want in something better, then buy once and cry once.This certainly isnt the latest and greatest, but it gets me into archery, and in the woods for an extra 3 months, so it will certainly serve its purpose, and since i've dug into this over the past 2-3 months I've learned more than ever about archery ! But the main things I was looking for in a starter were something consistant and SAFE, and this seems to be both. Minus anything stupid I hopefully manage not to do..

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    What you have sounds like what I just bought minus the cocking system. I figured I would use this for a few years, really get a feel of exactly what I want in something better, then buy once and cry once.This certainly isnt the latest and greatest, but it gets me into archery, and in the woods for an extra 3 months, so it will certainly serve its purpose, and since i've dug into this over the past 2-3 months I've learned more than ever about archery ! But the main things I was looking for in a starter were something consistant and SAFE, and this seems to be both. Minus anything stupid I hopefully manage not to do..
    So Ill tell you what I think. Because this outfit was provided as new and free etc I think I really overlooked the benefit of a system that truly is effective. Based on personal bias and bravado I was always hardheaded particularly in the realm of archery becuase I always enjoyed archery as does several other members of my family.
    I bow shot my first deer in like 1979 and haven't not tagged a buck since with a bow. But anyway,
    the older I get I understand better taking advantage of available resources and more limited time available so was not particularly impressed with the bow becuase it was a tad too easy for me but completely effective none the less.
    I agree if an entry crossbow is a course of action for you especially to take advantage of seasonal opportunity you wont be disappointed. Of course there are caveats and minor disappointments along the way when learning any new equipment but thats with anything and just how it goes.
    Just remember people have been hunting with bows for thousands of years and just like anything theirs a certain amount of gimmickry attached to any mass produced leisure product thats sometimes too easy to buy into.

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    So Ill tell you what I think. Because this outfit was provided as new and free etc I think I really overlooked the benefit of a system that truly is effective. Based on personal bias and bravado I was always hardheaded particularly in the realm of archery becuase I always enjoyed archery as does several other members of my family.
    I bow shot my first deer in like 1979 and haven't not tagged a buck since with a bow. But anyway,
    the older I get I understand better taking advantage of available resources and more limited time available so was not particularly impressed with the bow becuase it was a tad too easy for me but completely effective none the less.
    I agree if an entry crossbow is a course of action for you especially to take advantage of seasonal opportunity you wont be disappointed. Of course there are caveats and minor disappointments along the way when learning any new equipment but thats with anything and just how it goes.
    Just remember people have been hunting with bows for thousands of years and just like anything theirs a certain amount of gimmickry attached to any mass produced leisure product thats sometimes too easy to buy into.
    Sounds like you've been at it for a while !
    I'm not entirely sure where I'll end up with this one.. If it serves me well, does what I want, and puts meat in the freezer, I may never buy another bow again. I tend to be a fan of simplicity, so the less complicated and bs the better. A big selling point to me with this bow, was that it was very basic, yet put together buy a reputible company known for quality generally. I also have a muzzleloader - one. Settled on a CVA Wolf in stainless steel, Leupold scooe, rings and bases, and its served me well for the past 2 years. I see no need for another or any sort of upgrade "just because" in the future. I'm kind of over that at this point. Now I'm just trying to sort out what REALLY works with what, and what's marketing bs..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom