Why would anyone need more than one gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sixspeedshift

Jul 6, 2020
    I had a separate apartment for work. So all she knew was about what we had at the family home. At some point , I changed jobs and had to give up the second home. During the move she wondered why I was wheeling a safe upstairs...... But if she asks, the answer remains the same :-)
    Just say you lost the code to the safe in a boating accident

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    multiple guns because when everyone has a glock 19, 9mm becomes nonexistent. Your g23 looks a whole lot nicer when you can feed it.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    It's because its where art meets the reality of projecting your minds will and your bodies discipline right in front of your eyes with technology.
    Sometimes in rapid succession with a reload or over a twenty minute period one at a time.

jeff g

BANNED!!!
    Jul 7, 2020
    I rode dirt bikes allot in Colorado, in fall I had a 1022 that I carried on my dirt bike, to get dinner. I knew the spots to get good grouse. It took years to fine good ones, the grouse that ate pine needles didn't taste so good. I liked the clover eating grouse, I'd ride up out of my driveway to a spot ; not even taking off my helmet, take the stock less 1022 out off the Scabbard rest it on my bike and shoot the head off dinner.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Maybe he should buy a dredging barge. I mean, I don't think you'd much have to know how to use one to wind up with a fine collection after all of these accidents.

Some one pulled up a Bren gun from around Blackwater a year or two ago if I am remembering correctly.

ATF took it and destroyed it of course.

rooster

Rebel looking for a cause
    Aug 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    Little bit of a misleading subject. :)

I’ve been riding/racing motorcycles for decades. At times I’ve had a dozen or more bikes at once. It makes perfect sense to me. A woods bike, a motocross bike, several road race bikes for various classes, a trials bike, a street bike, a long distance bike, a dual sport, etc. They all serve a unique purpose. Surely it’s the same in the gun world.

I’m diving into the shooting hobby - I’m early in my journey from “a guy with some old guns that he got from dad” to... well, I guess I really don’t know yet. I like learning and have been soaking up information from this forum, YouTube, friends, etc. I’m starting to think more about my firearm needs.

I’m finding myself looking at the following categories & options. This is not yet well thought out. Some of this stuff I already own but there are gaps to fill (rationalization!).

* Home defense (inside) - shotgun, handgun
    * Home/property defense in a SHTF scenario - semi-auto, decent range, decent stopping power
    * Conceal carry - handgun
    * Food on the table - .22 for small game, more capable rifle for deer (bolt action because I like it), shotgun.
    * “Civil unrest” - semi-auto, decent capacity, decent stopping power
    * Fun target shooting/plinking - .22 LR rifles & handgun. Shotgun for clays.

I’d like to hear why you “need” your guns. More accurately, what niche do they fill? What have I left out?

Edit: I’m not really looking for recommendations for purchase just yet. I intentionally didn’t specify which ones I already own so that it doesn’t shape the results. While I do hope to learn a little from the discussion, I’m really just genuinely curious what “needs” others have.

The purpose of a handgun is to fight your way to your main battle rifle.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Why do you need more than 1 pair of shoes? You're not going to wear flip flops to run a marathon. Why can't you use a flathead screwdriver to fix everything? Firearms are tools. You use a specific tool for a specific job. You wouldn't use a butter knife to cut a board and you wouldn't use a bb gun to hunt elephants. Now why do you need 20 1911's, if your a collector and that's your thing then so be it. I usually try to have one of everything just like tools in my workshop.

Ilexopaca

Mar 4, 2012
    I own seven types of shovels. I have six knives in my kitchen that get regular use. I have at least 8 fishing rigs, so... umm, yeah. It's like that. You just have to be cool with the idea that if you ever end up in the news that you'll be described as a person with "a small arsenal of weapons." And needless to say NOT described as a person with "an impressive array of useful shovels".

dromano

Apr 3, 2009
    I have learned over the years that a person can never have too many guns. You can't have too much ammo, either.

Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    I own seven types of shovels. I have six knives in my kitchen that get regular use. I have at least 8 fishing rigs, so... umm, yeah. It's like that. You just have to be cool with the idea that if you ever end up in the news that you'll be described as a person with "a small arsenal of weapons." And needless to say NOT described as a person with "an impressive array of useful shovels".

Just stay clear of those assault shovels and you’ll be fine.

BillOrien

Sep 28, 2008
    I moved out of Maryland 2 years ago. I brought about 6-7 thousand cases, bullets , and enough powder and primers and for 9mm, I also brought my Dillon 650 with me. I have 223 set up the same way, but also othe calibers. I learned my
    lesson during 2012. I never owned a 9mm at the time when I started this, but things have changed. Get yourself a 22, an AR15, 9mm pistol and a good pump shotgun, that group will take care of your needs in MD. This is just my opinion, and I know nothing!

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Would someone please tell me what an Assault Rifle is.

The term "assault rifle" is so misued and lied about it's pretty much become anything the person saying it wants it to mean. The truth is to be considered an assault rifle it has to meet five specific characteristics...absent any of these it simply doesn't qualify as an assault rifle.

1) It must be a Carbine.
    2) It must fire an intermediate cartridge such as 5.56x45 or 7.62x39 among others.
    3) It must be fed by a detachable magazine.
    4) It must fire by a locked breech.
    5) It must be select-fire.

Rifles such as the 1903 Springfield, M1 Garand, Mauser 98K, British SMLE, FN-FAL, M14 and others that fire full-power cartridges are Main Battle Rifles regardless of whether bolt-action, semi-auto or select-fire.

The M1 Carbine is not an assault rifle...an M2 Carbine is. Whether any of these have pistol grips, bayonet lugs, grenade launching ability or anything else is immaterial.

rooster

Rebel looking for a cause
    Aug 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    The term "assault rifle" is so misued and lied about it's pretty much become anything the person saying it wants it to mean. The truth is to be considered an assault rifle it has to meet five specific characteristics...absent any of these it simply doesn't qualify as an assault rifle.

1) It must be a Carbine.
    2) It must fire an intermediate cartridge such as 5.56x45 or 7.62x39 among others.
    3) It must be fed by a detachable magazine.
    4) It must fire by a locked breech.
    5) It must be select-fire.

Rifles such as the 1903 Springfield, M1 Garand, Mauser 98K, British SMLE, FN-FAL, M14 and others that fire full-power cartridges are Main Battle Rifles regardless of whether bolt-action, semi-auto or select-fire.

The M1 Carbine is not an assault rifle...an M2 Carbine is. Whether any of these have pistol grips, bayonet lugs, grenade launching ability or anything else is immaterial.

If it MUST BE SELECT FIRE than no semi auto qualifies (they aren't select fire)
    If it MUST FIRE FROM LOCKED BREACH than a full auto MAC-10 doesn't qualify either (it fires from open bolt).

So, again, what is an assualt rifle (besides an M16)?

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    This is my salt rifle. It's super deadly.

Unknown-3_900x.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom