• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    About four years ago I purchased one of their winter coats. Has a waterproof shell with a hood, and a medium weight liner that zips in and out. I really like it for warmth and comfort. Last winter one of the welded seams started to come apart. Not bad, just separating. I contacted customer support and they told me no problem. They don't repair their products, but would replace it for any coat in their line. I went and looked at what was available but didn't like them as much as my original coat so I elected to fix it myself. I was told by customer service that if at anytime in the future I was no longer satisfied to let them know and they would replace it.

Say what you want about their products, but that's pretty good customer service.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Some fire departments and police agencies abandoned UA because both crews run into burning buildings occasionally and the flame/melt issue was big.

They now have a "tactical" line for first responders that is considered fireproof, but in legal terms is" fire resistant".

retrorichard

Member of Team Awesome
    Dec 24, 2009
    Rockville
    I use their thermal gear for winter running. Down to the twnties, 1 thermal shirt, thermal tights and a tee shirt/shorts will work. For athletic wear I love it.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    A friend of mines son was sitting next to a bonfire when an ember floated up in the air and drifted onto the back of his UA shirt. At first he thought it was a bee sting, then the flame spread. He dropped and rolled and the fire continued.

He was medivaced to the hospital where he spent three months.

3rd degree burns from shoulder to shoulder down to his lower waist. Hideously disfigured.

I like the look, I like the brand and I like the story of how the business started. I don't like the lack of flammability warnings.

I am sorry to that, but if it would have had a label on it, would he have tried harder to not let that ember hit him or worn a different shirt? I doubt it.
    The types of materials in this stuff is very similar whether it is UA, Adidas, Nike etc. If you want fire resistance wear nomex clothing. If you don't mind the chemicals that go into flame retardant clothing, there are plenty of choices, but those chemicals are linked to cancer.

To the OP's question, I like UA stuff. They have heat gear and cold gear for summer and winter weather. Either way you can get the compression stuff if you want as a base layer and it works well. UA is doing something right (besides the high price) The stock was $12 when I bought it. Just wish I bought about 10 times as much of it. Then I would have you all over for a party at my property in a free state.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Merino wool from Smartwool & Icebreaker kicks under armours ass. Nearly soft as silk, can wear it for a WEEKS and not stink, warmer (esp when wet!), and fire resistant. Only downside it you need to wash it like wool (gentle/delicate cycle w/ woolite & no dryer.) No comparison to synthetics. When on sale its cheaper than UA type stuff too.

I've had a campfire ember burn a ~1" hole in my poly fleece jacket and thought: "Hmm, why is my arm getting really hot... Oh crap Im on fire!". Knocked the glowing ember off, patted out the fire from the sleeve, took off jacket to see the damage to my shirt and NOT A MARK! IIRC, I have a new-with-tags XL sized shirt I need to sell. Wife ordered me both sizes (L & XL) last year and we never got around to returning the one that didn't fit.

http://www.smartwool.com
    http://us.icebreaker.com/en/home

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I think UA stuff is cut a little better. and i like the material. I bought a rain coat for turkey hunting and now i wear it walk my dog in the rain, and it holds up pretty well.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    As an old guy, I used to just think my polypropylene no-name stuff was probably just as good as Under Armour. I no longer think that. My wife decided that I needed Under Armour because of the amount of time I spend in the cold. The first thing she got me I hated. It was mockneck compression fit Cold Gear in my usual size, XL. It felt way too tight...I didn't like the heavy compression. We returned it to Under Armour and I tried on a fitted (not compression) top an I wasn't too crazy about that either. I ended up getting a 2 XL compression fit...with some reservations. It still felt a bit tight, but it is 'compression fit' so I thought I'd give it a try. After getting used to it, the compression fit is no longer a problem for me (but keep in mind it's a size larger than I usually wear) and I think the stuff is a bit better than my old polyprops for keeping me warm. Not amazingly better, but just somewhat better. However, temperature varies during the day plus heavy walking and/or dragging a deer or something can turn you to a sweatball. Sure, polypropylene helps, but Under Armour seems to wick far better than regular polypropylene. I don't know if it is the material, the compression fit, or a combination of the two....but I can just unzip a jacket and unbutton another layer or two to expose the Under Amour just a little bit, and in just a while I dry right out. That's where I believe it shines. Cotton would stay wet, wool would to some extent as well and polypropylene would take a while....but the Under Armour seems to wick moisture and dry significantly faster. I now have 2 UA tops and 1 UA bottom layer. I still have my old polypropylene for extra clothes at hunting camp. But I usually reach for the Under Armour first. My 2 cents (err, ahh my $50 or thereabouts per each piece!)

Oh, and I will say a lot of young ladies and even some not so young!) look pretty good in that compression fit stuff, :)

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    Plank is a UMD alum and has donated millions to the University including $25M he just pledged last week or so. UA is good stuff and not really any more expensive than Nike or any othe name brand.

Bosco1911

Oct 29, 2011
    Forest Hill
    I purchased their Cold Gear compression wear quite a few years ago and its much warmer than your standard long johns. I have looked back. How ever I don't own anything else from them. As far as coats go, I went with Columbia widgeon wader jacket. Has a zip out down liner and its warm, fits well, keeps me dry, and most importantly they have an awesome return policy. My brother had one that after years of hunting started acting like a sponge. He sent it back and they sent him a new one no questions asked.

That alone was enough for me to purchase one.

Bean Guy

Apr 4, 2013
    Eldersburg
    I hear its good stuff, but don't own any and likely won't. What's with clothing that has the makers logo all over it? Many folks who never heard of Under Armour, think the logo looks like a funky H!

If the makers of this stuff want me to be a walking billboard for their products they should pay me to wear it.

duckslayer56

Mar 8, 2014
    Odenton
    I have a bunch of Under Armour stuff, but honestly I like merino wool better for my base layer. I own a bunch of Kuiu stuff, and that is the most comfortable stuff I've ever worn.

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    The tag inside mine says they were made in Columbia. Way over priced for something not made in the USA. Good thing they were purchased at Bass Pro with a gift card from an employer.

I think most of their products are made overseas. I have seen many of their items with Vietnam on the tag.

The company has a big profile locally because it was started by Kevin Plank a graduate of UMCP.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I use their thermal gear for winter running. Down to the twnties, 1 thermal shirt, thermal tights and a tee shirt/shorts will work. For athletic wear I love it.

I use the thermal cold gear as a base layer whenever I am hunting below 40 degrees. Between 30 and 40, I can usually take off my sweater if I wear the thermal UA stuff. Below 30, the thermal UA, sweater, and Columbia parka keep me warm enough. When it is in the teens, I am in front of a fire place in my boxers.

Other than the UA thermal cold gear, which I have used for a decade now, I don't buy any of their other clothing.

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I use the thermal cold gear as a base layer whenever I am hunting below 40 degrees. Between 30 and 40, I can usually take off my sweater if I wear the thermal UA stuff. Below 30, the thermal UA, sweater, and Columbia parka keep me warm enough. When it is in the teens, I am in front of a fire place in my boxers.

Other than the UA thermal cold gear, which I have used for a decade now, I don't buy any of their other clothing.

I recently purchased a couple of merino wool sweaters from a comany called minus 33. These wool sweaters are surprisingly warm, comfortable and breathable - and light weight. I wear them over under Armour cold gear and then a jacket on top. Seems to work pretty well.

Minus 33 sells different weights. I have a medium weight - it is really thin and light. I've been thinking about trying one of their "expedition" weights merino wool sweaters.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I don't know about the rest of their clothes but their underwear makes my ass sweat a hell of a lot more then the regular cotton underwear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    For cold weather, their underwear is lightweight, breathes, and wicks sweat away from your body. Keeps you warm. No substitute for multiple outer layers. Got nothing to say about their clothing.

I prefer traditional, lightweight, long thermal underwear (skin tight). More comfortable to me over the long haul.

When I was skydiving during the winters in this area we used to wear silk sock liners and polypropylene long underwear tops and bottoms underneath jeans or sweatpants with the jumpsuit over everything. In January and February it was pretty cold up at 12,500 and the only thing that got cold was your finger tips and your nose.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    I'm a big fan of the fit of the clothes. for those of us with athletic features, broad shoulders, gluts and quads, long torsos... they fit much better than most other brands, and they still fit when you put 50 lbs of lazy on said athletic man body.

my wife likes them because she is tall (5'10") and the tops actually have longer torsos that come down to her bum. and the bottoms have adequate length.

my favorite under armor is the sweat pants, polos and the boxer briefs. i have gear along the entire product line, minus shoes, and there is no particular reason for that. the cold gear works well. the socks last quite a while. thinking about it i haven't had one UA product i wasn't a fan of. I have golf polos from every major brand, and under armour and nike are by far the best, especially when its hot. and i like the UA better than the nike. a cotton polo is a no no on the golf course when its 95+... when its that hot I'm sweating through a golf glove in 9 holes...

the under armor outlets are the way to go, also https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/outlet... when its on sale its reasonably priced

the military specifically forbids underarmor for the melting to your body problem... the DoD developed their own underarmor like gear. I own a piece of the tactial gear... its not that much different than the other stuff, the material ratios are different... but i wouldn't go near fire with it, great shirt for hitting the gym or wearing under your jacket in teh winter if you are going to be doing manual labor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom