• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    just curious why dealers that are offering stuff for sale don't just list their prices? if the price is subject to change, just say that and how hard is it to update the thread. has to be easier than returning a hundred PM's. if you're worried about the competition finding out, they can pretty easily call or stop by and figure it out.

if i have to work to figure out your price, for the most part i'm not interested.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Because it's a public forum. Non-members could see it, when it may be a price only being offered to members.

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    Posting prices tends to lead to a race to the bottom, which while good for the puchasers does tend to be rather bad for the dealers.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    You should open up your own gun shop and then implement your great ideas and see how they work. Then you actually have a dog in the hunt and not just an idea that you think everyone should follow. Things change when you actually have to feed your family.

just curious why dealers that are offering stuff for sale don't just list their prices? if the price is subject to change, just say that and how hard is it to update the thread. has to be easier than returning a hundred PM's. if you're worried about the competition finding out, they can pretty easily call or stop by and figure it out.

if i have to work to figure out your price, for the most part i'm not interested.

bulletbill

Agent provocateur
    Dec 31, 2008
    SW FL
    Posting prices tends to lead to a race to the bottom, which while good for the puchasers does tend to be rather bad for the dealers.

Perhaps if the dealers around here would realize they'd make more money turning over more inventory rather than trying to make all their profit off of a single gun it would be better for everyone involved.

Competition, or rather fear of, is what keeps dealers from posting prices here.

bmodzelewski

Oct 11, 2012
    Middle River
    You should open up your own gun shop and then implement your great ideas and see how they work. Then you actually have a dog in the hunt and not just an idea that you think everyone should follow. Things change when you actually have to feed your family.

that helps answer the question... not at all

i'm also curious why some will post $$$ no problem and some wont

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I'm curious why some dealers won't quote a price over the phone. Not upset, just curious. Some Realtors do the same thing in their ads and often wondered why.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD

And purchases are subject to change based on the attitude of the seller.

I have been in sales for 14 years and this is not the type of response that gets customers. Plenty of gun dealers in the area.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I have been in sales for 14 years and this is not the type of response that gets customers. Plenty of gun dealers in the area.

Do you deny that it's true? Assuming there's room to negotiate final price, do you really mean to tell me that a stranger with a bad attitude will get the same price as a long time customer that's always friendly and who buys exclusivly from you and sends you business?

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Just patronize the ones that do! There are plenty of IPs on here that take real time photos of there stock (new or old) and post "MDShooter member pricing".

I personally hate to see a thread that says do you have a Glock 19/17 etc.. in stock and the IP comments "PM sent" (dam I had the same question he could have answered it for all wondering), and not start sending secret messages. That's just me, to each his own. I know someone will mention, it's their business and they can run it the way they please. This is true, and I can solicit the IPs that runs their threads/section the way I like too. The fix is too simple don't visit the sections/threads that do the things you don't like. :D

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Secret messages and private pricing is B.S. in my experience. I have worked in the business for over a decade and the ONLY reason for not posting prices is dealers selling items lower than their merchant agreement allows.

Its simple. You list the price for items currently on hand and what discounts may apply for that day alone (prices subject to change and customer attitude).

Done.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    I don't see why dealers can't just list the base price and then offer discounts to the good customers. If the customers really are loyal and on good terms with management, wouldn't it be easy to just tell them "hey, listen, we can cut you a deal if you buy from us"? Practically all other industries post prices for their products online on their storefront, so I don't see why this industry should be any different. If the purchases didn't require paperwork, you mean to tell me none of these stores would offer online sales? Talk about living in the stone age.

I honestly won't shop at any places that pull the "no price" nonsense.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    It is nonsense and more so when you call and ask for a price on a gun in stock and they won't tell you over the phone. And these places aren't selling below MAP, believe me. I don't waste the time and gas if they won't give a price. Are they ashamed of their prices?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    It is nonsense and more so when you call and ask for a price on a gun in stock and they won't tell you over the phone. And these places aren't selling below MAP, believe me. I don't waste the time and gas if they won't give a price. Are they ashamed of their prices?

That right there is my main point. How many threads have we seen on MDS complaining about Dealers not giving prices on the phone, high transfer fees, and places like CTD listing a too HIGH price, yet NOT listing prices on the forum is ignored/acceptable.

Perfect recent example:

Engage had 70 Glock 19's come in and the lised $500 CASH ONLY price in a thread. They sold ALL of them in ONE DAY. Had they not listed the price they would have had to send 300+ P.M.'s to interested parties.

I bought one of them, but had they not outright listed the price I wouldnt have inquired. Gun pricing isnt some uber secret. I work in the business so no one is going to push ome B.S. ecuse for it unless the dealer is breaking MAP pricing agrements.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I don't really care about the price so much as the current inventory. Hard to wonder what it costs if I don't know it's there...

Of course price sells as well so it'd be great to have an idea what it costs before hitting the road. I hate folks that ask for a discount before even handling the item or ask for a price, then want it for less...

I'll go, check out the item and then ask how much the seller has to have for it. If it's a fair price to me then I'll buy it, if not I'll honestly tell them that the price is more than I feel comfortable paying for it. That way neither party feels like they are getting jacked around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom