• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I know when Bush was in they put a second level of people in above the operators to do immediate review of records on possible denials and weed out a lot of the duplications, nonsense, and general information "noise" before the customer even left the store. That really helped cut down on the delays. Not sure if that has continued under the current regime. As I recall the instant approval rate went from being in the 70-something percentile when NICS was started to over 90% in the late 2000's. I have no idea what it is now but I believe it is still part of the annual NICS report if anyone wants to look it up. I need to get some work done and stop playing on MDS right now though. It's addictive though.... :)

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    I aways had an issue with NICS... I thought it was because I had a top secret clearence when I left the job... After a few times of being placed on the Hold status I filed a VAF www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/appeals/nics_vaf_brochure_eng.pdf with NICS. Kept comming back that I had a record and because of the law I wasn't going to be placed on this list. With about 3 VAF form request going back between NICS and myself they finally told me to go to the Hall of records in Annapolis and pull the paper work...Once at the Hall of Records for the state .. i was given all the laungue between Nics, Court House for PG County & the Hall of Records..I now have sent in my 5th VAF... yes you have to file a new VAF each time with hardcard copy of your fingerprints.. But this time I asked NICS to send me a copy of any conviction as they seem to be the only agency that has this on file and send me the location where I gain obtain a copy as the court house & the hall of records has nothing on file... I also sent them all the documnets between NICS, Hall of records and the Court house... about a week later I got my letter with my UPIN number to give to the FFL's when needed.

I already had my HQL & C&R before starting this journey

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Yep-get a UPIN.

This ^^^

NICS was down for everybody at the York show today. A gun show with no gun sales

NICS or the PICS?

The Pennsylvania Instant Check System (PICS).

PICS can be down with the NICS still up and running.

I know when Bush was in they put a second level of people in above the operators to do immediate review of records on possible denials and weed out a lot of the duplications, nonsense, and general information "noise" before the customer even left the store. That really helped cut down on the delays. Not sure if that has continued under the current regime. As I recall the instant approval rate went from being in the 70-something percentile when NICS was started to over 90% in the late 2000's. I have no idea what it is now but I believe it is still part of the annual NICS report if anyone wants to look it up. I need to get some work done and stop playing on MDS right now though. It's addictive though.... :)

In my experience with the improvements of the NICS over the years, the "PROCEED" response with the initial query is at least 98%.

willyb

Sep 15, 2009
    glen burnie, md
    i have an extremely common name, and never have I had a problem with a nics check. the longest ever was Annapolis gun show like 3 years ago, and it was only 5 minutes

v4kerker

Mar 23, 2014
    Crownsville, MD
    I aways had an issue with NICS... I thought it was because I had a top secret clearence when I left the job... After a few times of being placed on the Hold status I filed a VAF www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/appeals/nics_vaf_brochure_eng.pdf with NICS. Kept comming back that I had a record and because of the law I wasn't going to be placed on this list. With about 3 VAF form request going back between NICS and myself they finally told me to go to the Hall of records in Annapolis and pull the paper work...Once at the Hall of Records for the state .. i was given all the laungue between Nics, Court House for PG County & the Hall of Records..I now have sent in my 5th VAF... yes you have to file a new VAF each time with hardcard copy of your fingerprints.. But this time I asked NICS to send me a copy of any conviction as they seem to be the only agency that has this on file and send me the location where I gain obtain a copy as the court house & the hall of records has nothing on file... I also sent them all the documnets between NICS, Hall of records and the Court house... about a week later I got my letter with my UPIN number to give to the FFL's when needed.

I already had my HQL & C&R before starting this journey

Laddertowr glad to hear you got your UPIN. Did they/FBI say what was flagging you on not getting approved?

This is may first time getting delayed and if it happens again I'll have to work on getting a UPIN.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    NICS or the PICS?

The Pennsylvania Instant Check is SLOW for PA residents buying handguns when there are a lot of gunshows happening on the same day.

I remember going to a PA show and the vendor telling the buyer to come back in 45 minutes as that's how long it took his last phone call to end.

It was NICS. I bought a rifle and have to go yo Gettysburg to pick it up. Really sucks because it was in my hands.

There were a lot of guys just milling about with sad expressions. And nobody doing paperwork at dealer's tables.

It was down from at least 11am unti I left just after 1pm.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    It was NICS. I bought a rifle and have to go yo Gettysburg to pick it up. Really sucks because it was in my hands.

There were a lot of guys just milling about with sad expressions. And nobody doing paperwork at dealer's tables.

It was down from at least 11am unti I left just after 1pm.

Last time I bought a rifle in Pa. they called PICS.

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Sir ... event from 1973.. that went no where...but because the files can't be found and the burden of proof is on them and not me is why I got my UPIN number... I think they were expecting me to just back off after being denied the first 4 times. My background has been investigated by more then the ATF, NICS & MSP because of some of the places I had to be because of my job. But what always seemed odd to me is that I;d always got an ok each time NICS placed me on hold before.. So why not just place me on the list in the first place.. I don't think common sense thinking applies to any of the review board members

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I just received a hand gun purchase first week of Feb. Plus I got my gun collector letter in the mail last week.

You do realize that both of those are a) STATE programs (NICS is Federal), and b) both of those take more than a few minutes?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I was checking out at an auction and the guy ahead of me said the same thing.

Seems it should be the other way round.

It's come up on here a few times that a commonality between some people who get delayed occasionally is having gov't clearances. Not sure if it there's any substance to it or it's just coincidence. The OP did mention having a twic card.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    As I recall the instant approval rate went from being in the 70-something percentile when NICS was started to over 90% in the late 2000's. I have no idea what it is now but I believe it is still part of the annual NICS report if anyone wants to look it up. I need to get some work done and stop playing on MDS right now though. It's addictive though.... :)

For 2011:

The NICS Section achieved a 91.52 percent Immediate Determination Rate, surpassing the U.S. Attorney General-mandated goal of 90 percent or better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom