Why is there no bow hunting during fire arms and Blackpowder?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    I don't understand why in the hunting manual it states that during bow season you have to wear hunter orange while firearms and black powder is going on. However if you look at the dates of bow season it is not allowed during firearms and black powder. Why is that? That doesn't make sense to me? By the way, I am talking about Region B

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    You can bow hunt...you just have to check that deer in as a "firearm" or "black powder" kill. Make sure you have your respective stamps for those seasons

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I believe that is only true for a small segment of the season.

So bow hunters can go out in the woods and not hear BAM..... BAMBAMBAM. First BAM being a miss with three angry follow up BAMS.

You can downgrade your hunting device during firearm and black powder for most of the season.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    So you are saying that if I get a muzzle loader stamp, then I can hunt bow during these next two weeks coming up which are muzzleloader?
    What if I am hunting an area which does not allow muzzleloader or firearms? I am looking at State lands which don't allow those two.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    So you are saying that if I get a muzzle loader stamp, then I can hunt bow during these next two weeks coming up which are muzzleloader?

Yep

Firearms season = Firearm / Muzzle-loader / Bow
    Muzzle-loader season = Muzzle-loader / Bow
    Bow season = Bow

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    What if I am hunting an area which does not allow muzzleloader or firearms? I am looking at State lands which don't allow those two.

There are plenty of places (like the state parks) that are bow only. You can bow hunt them all seasons, provided that you have the stamps and wear orange.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Question for the people in the know: Do you think wearing orange in any way impacts your ability to hunt deer effectively?

If so, is it just that the orange vest/hat is to be solid, so your outline isn't quite as broken up?

I've hunted with a bow, muzzleloader, and shotgun. I've had deer see me on the ground and up in my stand plenty of times, but I've never had any reason to believe it was because of camo, lack of camo, or wearing orange. I've had deer stare right at me for minutes at a time while I'm wearing orange, only too look down to take their (final) bite of grass.

Don't get me wrong, I pretty much always wear camo when hunting because I have a set of clothes/jackets dedicated to hunting and they might as well be camo...but I really don't think it makes a difference. The second deer I killed while wearing a t-shirt and jeans.

OK...what do you guys think?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Question for the people in the know: Do you think wearing orange in any way impacts your ability to hunt deer effectively?

If so, is it just that the orange vest/hat is to be solid, so your outline isn't quite as broken up?

I've hunted with a bow, muzzleloader, and shotgun. I've had deer see me on the ground and up in my stand plenty of times, but I've never had any reason to believe it was because of camo, lack of camo, or wearing orange. I've had deer stare right at me for minutes at a time while I'm wearing orange, only too look down to take their (final) bite of grass.

Don't get me wrong, I pretty much always wear camo when hunting because I have a set of clothes/jackets dedicated to hunting and they might as well be camo...but I really don't think it makes a difference. The second deer I killed while wearing a t-shirt and jeans.

No

Blaze orange is a not a natural color. With that said, deer see in the UV light spectrum.

There are blaze orange product out there that is human visible, but turns brown in the UV spectrum

The other thing you need to be concerned about is regular laundry detergent. Nowadays there is a UV brightener that keeps the colors from fading. So deer will see blue glowing orbs walking around the woods.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I don't think it matters a bit....look back in history at old photos in guys in head to toe orange and then you have the jeans and flannel shirt bow hunters.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Yeah--I started using that hunter's detergent a few seasons ago because of the UV thing.

I don't think it matters a bit....look back in history at old photos in guys in head to toe orange and then you have the jeans and flannel shirt bow hunters.

yeah, this is kind of what I'm thinking. My friends in Wisconsin do the head-to-toe orange thing. I certainly don't understand that--I'm pretty sure it's more about fashion than function/safety. I think it makes them look like prison inmates.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

Not wearing orange interferes with my ability to explain the the DNR I was not violating any rules.

Deer could not care less. Especially suburban deer. Wear a bike helmet and shorts, and they will walk right up to you. Personally, I think that camo spooks them. T-Shirt and jeans, no problem.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Well, the way they keep changing the laws lately, it used to be, you could bow hunt throughout the entire deer season, non-stop. Only difference was, the deer you kill in that gun season counts as a gun kill. You must wear orange(is it still 100 square inches? If so, only need a hat-100''=10''x10''), but, they keep 'finessing' the rules making it hard for this old fart to keep up.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    Is the orange requirement both a vest and a hat? I was in pa a couple weeks ago for the file season and they have both vest and hat

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom