Why is commercial steel-cased .223 more expensive than 7.62x39?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I keep looking at ammo prices and I get confused why steel-cased .223 is more expensive than 7.62x39.

I can reload .223 cheaper than I can reload 7.62. 7.62 uses more components in every way. More steel in the case, more lead/steel in the bullet, more powder (most loads) and a larger primer. All of this screams higher expense to me.

My guess is the sheer volume of military contracts suppliers have in Eastern Europe is what drives down the price? Am I missing something?

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    My guess is, economics of scale. 7.62x39 is AK/SKS fodder, used the world over, and has always been produced in mass quantities in steel cased. 5.56 on the other hand was traditionally made in brass, and only recently in steel cased, by fewer mfr's, for a much smaller market than 7.62x39.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    I've found that product pricing on commodity-like items often has little to do with the cost of production. It's more about what the market will bear, i.e., what we are willing to pay.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I've found that product pricing on commodity-like items often has little to do with the cost of production. It's more about what the market will bear, i.e., what we are willing to pay.

I agree completely.

So lets venture into another realm. Anyone want to guess how much it costs Wolf to make every round of .223 and every round of 7.62x39?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I agree completely.

So lets venture into another realm. Anyone want to guess how much it costs Wolf to make every round of .223 and every round of 7.62x39?

Factoring in all bribes they have to pay or just the freight conductors and longshoremen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom