Why I think a new AWB will "not" happen!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    The fact that Obama put Biden in charge of the gun violence task force should say everything. You're correct; nothing will happen at the federal level.

It's scary to think what could happen at the state level. Personally, I know I'm willing to do whatever it takes to ensure the state legislature doesn't pass any anti-gun legislation. I'll call and write every elected official, and I'll take time off work to protest. No more restrictions. None.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    When nothing happens with the gun issue Bummer can use it as another moment to distance himself from Biden. Dems are F'd in 2016.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I have it on good authority that unless the entire make up of the Maryland House Judiciary Committee changes, an AWB will not happen here. There are not enough votes for it in committee.

Your authority would be wrong. There are indeed enough votes there if they really decide that they want it.

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    I have a friend that is active duty military here in the People's Democratic Republic of Maryland on official orders. She is a resident of another state and has never purchased a regulated rifle here but owns one which she brought here from another state when she was assigned to Aberdeen. How does maryland law apply to her and her rifle? I told her I didn't know but would ask around. Any takers?

Is her home of record in a 2A friendly state? If she's concerned, I would recommend taking leave and road tripping home.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    MD has a funny legislature. The Governor can pass pretty much any law he wants and the delegation can act to revoke it if they want. Since the gov & delegation are mostly democrats, they pretty much work out the law behind closed doors and ram it through the process. Not much can be done to intervene until it is passed. Then, just about anyone can file suit to challenge the law.

IANAL, just my 2 cents.

olebess

Jan 11, 2011
    MontCo
    I agree with the OP that a federal AWB would be very difficult to get through Congress. As I've said in other threads, I think the real threat on the federal level will come through executive action.

Regarding Maryland, I'm concerned about an AWB on the state level. Does anyone have any idea when such legislation will be considered? Isn't it typically around MLK Day or is that just the day MSI is permitted to rally?

sheat36

May 24, 2012
    Westminster, MD
    Is her home of record in a 2A friendly state? If she's concerned, I would recommend taking leave and road tripping home.

Agree, she is from Alabama. She just doesn't want something stupid to happen and be on the wrong side of over zealous prosecution. I said, "welcome to maryland."
    Thanks Brother

porscheguy

Jul 30, 2012
    Let's also keep in mind that the '94 AWB was passed in September of that year, less than two months before the mid term congressional elections. During that election the Republicans ended a Democratic majority in the house that they had held for all but 4 of the previous 62 years. People can say what they want, but I believe that the primary reason for the Republicans gain of 54 seats was anger over the AWB. Democrats fail to understand that they don't lose support for failing to pass gun restrictions, but they lose A LOT of support when they do.

Af_catfish

Abandon All Hope
    Sep 6, 2011
    Bremen, Ohio
    Right on, that's my opinion also (although I did not voice it...yet). Her concern or question is the legal issue of having it and being physically in md. If it was me, I'd just volunteer to PCS back out of here. Win Win if you ask me

If she bought legally out of state she's allowed to have it in Md since she's there on orders. She's technically a resident of Md with those orders. She can voluntarily register it with MSP, but she's not required to. The same rules apply to handguns. If the law changes it may be different. But that's how it works for now.
    I had a buddy who got stationed in DC. Being from Alabama he brought his pistol with him. It caused a few problems because it was during the ban.

Jack Ryan

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    People’s Republic of Maryland
    Reasons why the Federal effort will fail:

1) They put Biden in charge of the Task Force, Biden is a do nothing bumbler, this will never happen...lip service.

2) Republican control Congress, AWB wont pass in the House.

3) The people dont want it.

Reasons AWB could prevail:

Executive Orders from Obummer coudnt be used to bypass Congress.

Here is Maryland, Presidential wanna-be Marty "Super-Dem" O'Malley will probably push this through a receptive GA, or use Executive Orders himself to install the AWB in Maryland.

sheat36

May 24, 2012
    Westminster, MD
    If she bought legally out of state she's allowed to have it in Md since she's there on orders. She's technically a resident of Md with those orders. She can voluntarily register it with MSP, but she's not required to. The same rules apply to handguns. If the law changes it may be different. But that's how it works for now.
    I had a buddy who got stationed in DC. Being from Alabama he brought his pistol with him. It caused a few problems because it was during the ban.

Thanks my Brothers, I'll pass along the info for her research. I hope you all have a Merry Christmas!:party29:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Here is Maryland, Presidential wanna-be Marty "Super-Dem" O'Malley will probably push this through a receptive GA, or use Executive Orders himself to install the AWB in Maryland.
    You know, I don't think O'Malley has been pushing for an AWB as hard as some people here claim. He'd sign it, definitely, but he has been surprisingly publicly restrained in demanding a particular solution. This is one of the reasons I think we should be thinking about proposing alternative legislation; I'd rather surrender ground on legislation that might work than get screwed on legislation that won't work. I trust MSI will make the right decision here, of course, given that they know the legislative environment better than I do.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    O'Malley wants to be president when he grows up. Not likely he'd be super-visible about such an issue.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    we should be thinking about proposing alternative legislation; I'd rather surrender ground on legislation that might work than get screwed on legislation that won't work

Exactly ... fight fire with fire, not sawdust

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    O'Malley wants to be president when he grows up. Not likely he'd be super-visible about such an issue.

Sort of like how Obama hasn't been super-visible. He has his own set of minions to do his dirty work.

Never underestimate the power of the Teflon Leprechaun. :mad54:

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    You are 100% right on this. I do not think a Federal AWB will pass. Maryland may well be a different story. I can easily move out of Maryland. If I hit the lights right I can be from my house to West Virginia in two minutes. Moving out of the country would be much more difficult and much less desireable for me.

This is what I don't understand. I see some Marylanders on here beating their chests and saying how they won't give an inch on their 2A rights, and rattle their virtual sabers about what would happen if someone tried to deprive them of those rights ... and yet they still live in Maryland. If someone truly has that level of resolve, wouldn't they move to a state with more reasonable gun laws (and politicians, etc.)? I'm not saying that they are wrong in their beliefs--they aren't--but why say that you aren't going to compromise a bit when you already are compromising?

knownalien

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD.
    Reasons why the Federal effort will fail:

1) They put Biden in charge of the Task Force, Biden is a do nothing bumbler, this will never happen...lip service.

2) Republican control Congress, AWB wont pass in the House.

3) The people dont want it.

Reasons AWB could prevail:

Executive Orders from Obummer coudnt be used to bypass Congress.

I thought from a legal standpoint, EO's only apply to officers of the gov't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom