• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Earlier this year, the Violence Policy Center released a study inadvertently indicating that guns are used more often in self defense than they are to kill.

That was awfully nice of them.

Now, I just caught wind of another study that inadvertently shows that CCW holders are responsible for less than 1% of all gun homicides.

Man, it's almost like they're secretly pro-gun or something!

Of course, neither study is framed in such a way as to support these conclusions. But if you throw in readily available FBI/DOJ data regarding total gun homicides, and then convert the VPC data to rates, the conclusions fall right out.

Numbers don't lie, even if the VPC tries to. Spread the word, and share with folks you know on both sides of the gun control debate.

Last edited:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Earlier this year, the Violence Policy Center released a study inadvertently indicating that guns are used more often in self defense than they are to kill.

Now, I just caught wind of another study that inadvertently shows that CCW holders are responsible for less than 1% of all gun homicides.

Man, it's almost like they're secretly pro-gun or something!

Of course, neither study is framed in such a way as to support these conclusions. But if you throw in readily available FBI/DOJ data regarding total gun homicides, and then convert the VPC data to rates, the conclusions fall right out.

Numbers don't lie, even if the VPC tries to. Spread the word, and share with folks you know on both sides of the gun control debate.

something is up with the link. I think that this is the correct one (third dot replaced with a slash): http://www.vpc.org/ccwkillers.htm

Here's why *I* love the VPC: you can still find press releases like this on their website: http://www.vpc.org/press/0003unsa.htm

"VPC Releases New Handgun Ban Study, Unsafe in Any Hands: Why America Needs to Ban Handguns" From March 2000.

But you know, they are not out to ban guns.

Dal1as

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Doesn't homicide also cover legitimate self defense shootings also?

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011

Do you mine citing where that's inferred? That's a great talking point.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Do you mine citing where that's inferred? That's a great talking point.

Sure. Fifth paragraph down, they state that people used guns to defend themselves 338,700 over five years. Their point is that this accounts for only 0.8% of all crime, so they call gun self-defense "rare". But when you look at the gun homicide stats over the same five years, it only adds up to about 60k, which means that even though it is statistically rare, you're still 5-6 times more likely to use a gun in self-defense than you are to be killed one. Even if you include suicides (which the Gun Control crowd LOVES to do), you're still more likely to use a gun in self-defense than to be killed by one.

Spinning a narrative is all about how you present the numbers. But do your own analysis and the truth comes out.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I do see your point, but don't know how you were physically able to type the title of this thread without wretching!:D

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    I do see your point, but don't know how you were physically able to type the title of this thread without wretching!:D

The overwhelming sense of irony and immense satisfaction of using our opponents' work against them is enough to stifle my gag reflex. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom