• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doofoo

Dec 28, 2009
    Ya I always keep something in .40 and .357 sig as it seems to be the only ammo on the shelf sometimes. Not my favorite gun to shoot by far, I tend to stick with 9mm and .45 ACP and .45LC

Worst come to worst Ill have to stick with my .17HMR Taurus revolver. There always seems to be 17 HMR (though I am not sure that gun can hit the broad side of a barn yet).

Looking around right now, stocking up on .40S&W, 9mm, .22lr and .380AUTO - My brother asked me to pickup some .357SIG for him.

I have been to like 10 Walmart's and Gander Mountain - No one has .357SIG - It's just hardly ever stocked..

Gander Mountain has LOADS of stock on everything else except .223.

snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    Stafford, VA as of 5/7/13
    I dont own any 40's (have no need for one) but have fired a few different makes, including polymer guns in 40S&W. I dont find that round any more snappier then a 45, or all the BS hoopla people state.

I think people think its "ghey" because some wannabe holier then thou poster states so, and all his fanboys start :kissass:

Buy what caliber you like, who gives a f**k what someone else thinks.

Not just with 40 but with other stuff as well, I like my 40s, 96D and 27, sold my 23c and regret it all the time

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    H&K USP in .40 S&W here. Great pistol, great round. It's not as snappy as some might have you believe. If you're used to the 9mm, then of course a .40 might seem a lot snappier.

I've toyed with picking up a 9mm pistol, but I always chicken out. I figure if I'm gonna get another pistol--it will be a .40 because I only have to think in terms of .40 ammo for both weapons.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    My first handgun was chambered in .40. Still have it. XDm. Love it.

I figured with the .40, ammo was cheaper than .45 (which I like alot and will have one), and felt it was easier to shoot for my personal tastes than a 9mm.

It holds plenty of ammo in the mag - 16 rounds. Range fodder is usually Federal 100 Packs from Wally World or Blazer Brass in 180 grain,

SD rounds are Speed Gold Dots or Federal HST in 180 grain.

I did install a stainless steel guide rod to help with muzzle flip, but I would have installed one regardless of caliber.

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Most every police agency in my area carries .40. There is nothing wrong with the round. I shoot .40 all the time and really enjoy it.

By the way, coolest .40 ever.

40.jpg

That's the first time I've seen that gun. It's love at first site. I was thinking about the XDS but didn't want .45 acp. I was hoping Springfield would come out with an XDS in .40. Now, I want an EMP.

Which shops has the EMP in stock?

Nry2137

Jan 21, 2012
    Brooklyn, MD
    Every pistol except my mak is in .40, I love the round. We can argue "short and weak" all day, but when it comes down to the wire, for me, .40 is where it's at.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    Not a fan of .40, I do have a Glock 23 though and about 500rds I keep on hand for a rainy day. Might have to check out the price on .40. I have large amounts of .45 and 9mm but I'd rather not shoot much if I can't easily replace it.

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    Never felt comfortable w/ G27 or G24/35- sold them all. Got a G23 gen 4 last year and it felt better, but really wanted a KGP100 instead. Recently got a used Ruger SR40C on a whimp to keep my SR9 and SR9C company. After the 1st range visit, "wow!" -this thing is really easy to control for a sub-compact in 40. Glad I decided to stick w/ 40 cal (and to buy a SR40C).

BTW, shot the SR40C along w/ G30SF, and the SR40C was much, much easier to shoot fast and accurately- perhaps it's just the Ruger's design. The 30Sf has typically 45 recoil- but when I shot G30 against G29, I absolute like the 10mm.

Last edited:

S6T6

Dec 23, 2012
    We can argue "short and weak" all day, but when it comes down to the wire, for me, .40 is where it's at.

Agreed, for a semi-auto the .40 cal round is my go to. I've shot over 10,000 rounds of .40 cal ammo and it's the near perfect round in my opinion. Better ballistics than a 9mm especially when considering a compact or sub-compact semi-auto. Plenty of stopping power, good control, and dead on accuracy from a 147 gr bullet. Step up to 165 gr (my preference) or even a 180 gr and it's still very controllable and accurate under rapid fire.

Now of course .357 mag is the best round ever and then there's .44 mag to put a big ol smile on your face...but neither is great for lengthy shooting sessions.

Azmo

Sep 7, 2011
    Calvert County
    I have both the S&W .40c and 9mm... Both solid weapons with no firing issues... Love both and as stated earlier, finding rounds is rarely an issue... If you go into PF Walmart and they don't have any in those calibers... sorry... :D

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    I don’t really have anything against .40cal but, being that it doesn’t have any significant advantage over 9mm and .45, I just don’t need to keep an extra caliber to stock. I had a G23 for quite a while, and it was a very nice shooting gun. Extremely smooth. But I DO prefer the recoil of a 9mm and .45, so I gave it to my dad. It really just comes down to having fewer calibers to stock. I may pick up another Glock in .40 just to have… the ammo does seem to be more available than other pistol calibers, and it barely costs more than 9mm.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Nothing against it personally, I just don't need another caliber to reload (even with all the 40 brass i've picked up at the range). I'm happy with 9mm and 45.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    WWB of 100 rds is $10 more than 9mm... at least on MidWay.

Seems like a considerable price difference to me.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    you're crazy, man. I posted this response in another thread, but I'll repeat myself here:

I've hunted hogs with rifles, pistols, and revolvers and I can tell you WITHOUT ONE BIT OF DOUBT that .40 is superior by a WIDE margin to 9mm

I've never shot a hog shot with a 9mm and had it drop. It will always, in my experience run at least for a tiny while even with the best placed shots.

.45 will put them down, but sometimes won't penetrate the skull well so you have to use ball ammo and usually not shoot for the head.

.40 S&W out of at least a 4 inch barrel, in 165 and 180 grain, in hollow point and ball ammo, have all put down hogs LIGHTS OUT, and they do it clean more often than any handgun round I've used other than .44 mag (from a revolver) or .45 long colt out of a lever gun.

Not only is this the case at close ranges, but I find the .40 retains velocity better than the .45 acp, and is accurate to longer distances than either the 9 or .45.

It is a DAMN good round, and I'm tired of seeing it under-sold as the weaker cousin of 10mm.

Besides the above evidence, I routinely shoot metal just as kind of a hobby, to see what will happen. Shooting serving trays, pots, pans, or whatever the .40 ROUTINELY goes right through barriers and punches clean holes in media that stops both 9 and .45 dead.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Alright, might as well not start another thread so let me ask here: Glock 19 or 23. What's your choice? And, yes, I used the search function.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    H&K USP in .40 S&W here. Great pistol, great round. It's not as snappy as some might have you believe. If you're used to the 9mm, then of course a .40 might seem a lot snappier.

I've toyed with picking up a 9mm pistol, but I always chicken out. I figure if I'm gonna get another pistol--it will be a .40 because I only have to think in terms of .40 ammo for both weapons.

I'm all for .40 100% but in the interest of honesty, I do have to tell you that the USP has an EXCEPTIONAL recoil reduction system and a heavy slide.

My USP .45 is honestly the lightest kicking gun (or at least it feels that way) of any handgun I own.

I don't know what it is about that gun, though. Most times it's dead nuts, but every once in awhile it, or me, just can't get a decent group with it. No other pistol, just that one. I think it might have something to do with the polygonal rifling since it only seems to happen with Tualmmo .45 acp which seems to be a little smaller in diameter and more dome shaped than oblong than regular .45 acp

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom