• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    even at a desk job i use a knife almost daily. i don't like to go anywhere without it because it is like an extension of my person. everyone i know comes to me when they need a knife for something because they know i always have one.

oom

Mar 22, 2011
    When I was 6 my father drilled into my head the rules for safe handling of a knife (cutting AWAY from yourself has never failed me), and when I could recite them back and explain to him why he gave me my first knife, a nice little Victorinox Swiss army knife. I'm still sick to my stomach every time I think about losing that knife playing in the woods when I was 9.

My father is a warehouseman and carries a knife to work with him every day. His father was an Architect, who carried a pen knife to work with him everyday. While I've had my share of jobs since I was 6, both blue collar and white, I've always had a knife in my pocket. I can't imagine life without steel in my pocket, and the sheer number of times I use it every day just reinforces that.

Polecat

R.I.P.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    When I was 6 my father drilled into my head the rules for safe handling of a knife (cutting AWAY from yourself has never failed me), and when I could recite them back and explain to him why he gave me my first knife, a nice little Victorinox Swiss army knife. I'm still sick to my stomach every time I think about losing that knife playing in the woods when I was 9.

My father is a warehouseman and carries a knife to work with him every day. His father was an Architect, who carried a pen knife to work with him everyday. While I've had my share of jobs since I was 6, both blue collar and white, I've always had a knife in my pocket. I can't imagine life without steel in my pocket, and the sheer number of times I use it every day just reinforces that.
    Not entirely true, at least in my case. I was using my pocket knife to cut open a bag of salt for my water softener. Held the corner of the bag between my first finger and thumb,went to slice the corner of the bag off, had a fleeting thought that this could cut my finger, when.......BINGO....... off came the tip of my finger.............dayum that hurt....Went to the hospital and explaining what I did to my self, they sewed it up including putting stiches in the nail (on purpose I think?). A few days later my son stopped by and asked "what happened". I proceded to get the bag and my knife out to give a show and tell. Luckely I stopped before doing it AGAIN!
    Major id10t time. :sad20:
    Have always carried a pocket knife and feel naked without it.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    to cut stuff

stuff= letters, seatbelts, people of various shapes and sizes, cheese, steaks, packages, boxes, hair, etc...

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    because my wife and daughters buy lots of stuff, and there are always tags and those damn impossible to open plastic packaging containers that everything comes in these days. Opening new packages from Amazon or Midway...hangnails... twine...etc..etc..etc..

Ruzo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2011
    Phoenix, MD.
    Because Maryland hasn't figured a way to tax it, make it permit carry only, and because you never hear on the news that our friends on capital hill say's knives are evil, and we need to take this knives away from the law abiding citizens. It's just less trouble then carrying a pistol in this fine Republic We live in.

Hooker2

Disgruntled Pygmy
    Jan 10, 2008
    Bel Air
    I have carried a CRKT folder for years and it has been used as a:

hammer
    bottle opener
    saw
    screwdriver
    pry-bar
    toothpick
    tent stake (temporary)
    knife

accce

Jul 19, 2011
    In case I need one. I have one on every keychain a few OTF and a few folders. I have been looking for a fixed blade but have not found one yet.

lostsole

Feb 28, 2011
    North West Balto Co
    Because I use it every day.

Opening boxes, Cutting rope and string, removing stickers and tags, that damn plastic package, Cutting fruit, opening envelopes, whittling, making marshmallow sticks, cutting hoses, scrapping paint, screwdriver, notch out wood, hammer nail, make a hole in a wall, fix printers and copiers, strip wire, remove something from a small spot, remove a squirrel tail, pull a splinter, bottle opener, hang a target...

A knife is can be used in place of just about any tool.

My son has had one since he was 5. I went over the rules I learned in Boy Scout until he could recite them by memory and I let him use mine until I was confident he was ready.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    So many uses...plus I was taught to always be prepared - only way I can do that is have tools handy.

Other than a small folding knife I keep on me...I also use one of these:

hunting-knife-fixed-blade-belt-buckle-knife-f2000.jpg

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    I carry a Victorinox Tinker. I use it at least 2 or 3 times a day. Not allowing me to carry it on an airplane or take it into a government building says disturbing things about how overweening and paranoid our overlords have become.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom