• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DONT LET HIM BUBBA A BELOVED .455 HAND EJECTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT ONE OF THOSE SO DAMN BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn money.......I'll have one one day.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DONT LET HIM BUBBA A BELOVED .455 HAND EJECTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT ONE OF THOSE SO DAMN BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn money.......I'll have one one day.

Brother........if he only wasnt trying to to extort me.........I would.

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    Some things - especially old firearms are better left alone.

Highest Resale value for most any item is usually for that item to be in original stock configuration.

Don't know if you belong to the S&W Forum, but if not, you might want to check it out. Watch the classifieds and I've got a feeling that you could find this gun in that condition for less. Or put in your own WTB ad and see what comes along. There's a lot of buy and sell activity on that forum.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Some people don't care about the "collect ability" on things that are sub $1000.
    They own the firearm and want to do something with it while they are still alive and walking. They make it a "project gun". It's a free country and they are free to do it.
    I have friends who refinish the original stock of an SKS or throw it in a plastic one and just want to shoot it and don't care about resell cause they will keep it till they die. Same friends Civil war Springfield? Its in original condition though.

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    Some people don't care about the "collect ability" on things that are sub $1000.
    They own the firearm and want to do something with it while they are still alive and walking. They make it a "project gun". It's a free country and they are free to do it.
    I have friends who refinish the original stock of an SKS or throw it in a plastic one and just want to shoot it and don't care about resell cause they will keep it till they die. Same friends Civil war Springfield? Its in original condition though.

No different than getting rid of the thumbhole stock on a Mak 90 and making it look like a traditional AK. Although this is not permanantly altering and can easily be changed back. That is why I kept that ugly chunk of wood they called a stock. But then again I would never change anything on my Mosin or SKS, as I appreciate the original look.
    Also if it weren't for all the bubba'd mausers, 03-a3's etc out there, the value of the original ones would likely be lower.
    In the end its your gun, you are free to do what you want to it. If you decide it is time to sell and I dont like it, I dont have to buy it.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Were'nt most of those Sporterized by former vets to take them hunting after the war?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Were'nt most of those Sporterized by former vets to take them hunting after the war?

The .455 S&W's were for British, Canadian and colonies deployment. My understanding is most ended up in Canada as they were considered secondary to the main issue Webley. So they only started getting sporterized in mass, along with Webleys, when they were imported in the 50s through 60s. Typically rechambered for .45LC or .45ACP to expand ammo availability. Whether it was for "hunting" or not who knows.

The S&W is well designed to take the .45LC or .45ACP (or .45 autorim) pressures. The Webley was not and shooting them with commercial loads is like proof testing them again and again and again. But they got cut as there was little .455 Webley (technically Eley) ammo around.

That is why the .455 examples are a little more rare. .455 is a hard to deal with caliber today as brass and ammo is a little hard to get and only Fiocchi currently makes loads (Hornaday discontinued last year) I have a good store of brass and bulletheads.

.455 is a fun caliber to shoot. Not sure it is really the legendary "manstopper". Whats fun about it is the shooting experience is very different from a modern caliber. They are deeply subsonic and have virtually no recoil, you pull the trigger and can here the bullet impact and bounce from there downrange if it didnt stop at the target. Sort of like blackpowder. Its fun though.

I really didnt need it, just thought it would have been a neat gun to add next to the Webs.

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    My opinion is I really don't require anything, I set a limit and if I can't get it for that there are lots of other things to buy at the right price.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I'll do what I want with my guns, I don't care what people think, from my Mossberg sidewinder to my suomi m31. If I like it, that's all that matters.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I'll do what I want with my guns, I don't care what people think, from my Mossberg sidewinder to my suomi m31. If I like it, that's all that matters.

It's your right, of course, but when you come into a collectors' group and say something like that, it's sort of like barging in and flipping everyone off. No need to intentionally be disrespectful or inflammatory.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I see both sides of the argument. IMO, Do what you want. You bought it. Some guns like mosins were made by the tens of MILLIONS. Cutting them up even for something as silly as 'abstract art' isn't going to hurt anyone. Not like a guy cut up a Colt SAA serial #000001;) Thats where I'd draw the line:P But even in a collectors forum people shouldn't get so bent out of shape. If placed in the rifle forum they'd honestly have a different opinion and voice zero objections? I highly doubt that;) The 'donor' firearm fits more in the C&R group so it likely ends up here. IMO, Putting a usable polymer stock and and using the crap out of something like an old mosin should get people excited. Its what they were meant to do. I don't think anyone is being intentionally disrespectful.

People wreck old exotic cars all the time. Being a collector of cars, that makes my just as sad. But Im *FAR* happier to see them driven then rotting in a garage/museum. (Esp race cars.) Accidents are just part of the risk.

chucks

Sep 30, 2010
    I bought my 1903 Springfield back in 1963 for $40. They were plentiful then. I wanted a deer gun but couldn't afford a good one, so I sporterized the 03. I cut down the barrel and stock. Glass bedded the stock and refinished it, added new sling swivels and changed out the sights. I still have the gun. It made a great deer gun, but now I wish I hadn't changed it, as I destroyed the historic value and replacing it will cost a lot. But who knew then? They were everywhere and cheap. I figured if I wanted to get one later and keep it original, I could just get another for $40-50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom