• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Just had a really recent experience lately on a prospective gun purchase. Found a gentlemen with a S&W Hand Eject 1916 in what I would say is about 85% condition with a Roy Jinks letter in "alternative" .455 Eley/Webley. The Jinks letter was very generic and only noted it was sold to Canada, which most of the "second line" alternaitve guns were so nothing super rare there. The thing was it was uncut and hadnt been rechambered. Was in original bluing (slightly brown patina) but not reparked. Really a very nice specimen. He goes on and on about how he wishes it could tell the story of its history.

Guy he-hawed back and forth on the price, tried selling it on gunbroker a few times, couldnt get a bid of his liking, listed it some other places, never went over $550. I had been following the gun along etc. etc.

He wanted $700 which was really top of the mark (if you couldnt get in on GB you are high), I offered him $700 shipped which I thought was fair.

Basically his response was I dont need the money so I think if I cant get exactly $700 I am going to rechamber it for .45LC because I like .45LC. I say ok, do you really want to devalue a fine firearm by destroying its historical value. Rechambered its a paperweight to most folks. I just cant believe someone who wants to sell a gun would destroy its historical value over $35! Maybe I am being stubborn but I just dont think I can go any further. My final response was my offer stands if it is unmolested, if you rechamber it, its a scrap metal to me. It was all very polite.

I hate to see it bubba'd but I just dont think I can go any higher for sight unseen gun, cant save em all.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    "If I can't find a home for these cute little baby kittens, I'm going to have to put them into a sack and drown them." As sleazy as it sounds, this is the surest way to get little old ladies to grab kitties they don't really want and take them home.

It sounds like he might be using the same approach. The guy may just be saying that so you'll spring for the extra bucks and rescue the firearm.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    maybe he was trying to scare you into accepting his price lol.

Thats what i sort of suspected, but he seemed serious. Which is why I resisted the tactic more than I usually would over $35, I just dont like playing games like that. If he had said lets split it, it probably would have soothed my concerns somewhat.

Just hope he doesnt do anything stupid, they are not super rare but not hugely common. It really wasnt on my shoping list as I can buy a lot of hand ejects in easier to support calibers (even though I am set up for 455 and have a decent store of brass), I just stumbled over it when looking at Webleys.

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    "I'm going to sell this gun for $700. It's clearly worth it. I've tried to sell it multiple times."
    "If you include shipping, I'll give you $700, total."
    "But, the history...THE HISTORY."
    "$700 total."
    "Meh, I'm just going to ruin the gun for no particular reason."
    "But you'll lose money."
    "I don't need money."
    "Then why were you trying to sell it?"
    "Because a fine weapon with history should be in the hands of someone who appreciates it."
    "Then why ruin it?"
    "..."

Total BS. Tell this fellow to go do something with himself, to himself.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I can't tell you how many nice old military rifles I have restored because someone decided it would look and work better as a hi-tech sporter....

Why people think they know better than the folks who engineered and built the weapon in the first place I'll never know.

That S&W, it is only worth what it is worth to you. My bet is that there are enough still floating around and that you could do better.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    It is his gun to ruin, if he chooses to do so.

Exactly. Different strokes for different folks.

Should we pass a law to force everyone to have the same tastes, or is public shaming sufficient?

How about we flip the question: why are some people so unconcerned about preserving firearms that they quibble over $35?

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    CAN you even rechamber a .455 cylinder to fit a .45 LC? I would think .45 ACP is do-able, but LC? Wouldn't the cylinder be too short?

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    Exactly. Different strokes for different folks.

Should we pass a law to force everyone to have the same tastes, or is public shaming sufficient?

How about we flip the question: why are some people so unconcerned about preserving firearms that they quibble over $35?

just cause its his right doesnt mean he shouldnt be criticized for doing it or threatening to do it.

as for quibbling over $35, you have to draw the line somewhere, or you will be taken for a ride.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Buy this gun or the chambers get it.

don't negotiate with terrorist

:rofl:

I have seen so many crazy things done to guns and talked to so many people about strange and unrealistic projects since becoming a gunsmith... but there's always something worse/more hilarious to be seen down the road... it's sad sometimes but honestly it's pretty hilarious most of the time.

People have been ruining guns for hundreds of years and will continue to do so long into the future. :sad20:

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    To be Devil's Advocate ; it's his to preserve or modify as he pleases.

I take a more narrow view of the concept "To Bubba" , reserving it for those actual cases of shody hack jobs. Quality custom guns based upon a military action , or even barrelled action in some cases can be aprecated on its own merits and qualities.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Whenever i see "SPORTERIZED" in an Ad, i cringe and move on...

^^ THIS! And if it also is worded to make it sound like sporterizing it somehow made it infinitely more valuable, I try to make a mental note of the seller's name, so I don't do business with them in the future. I want to deal with honest folks.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I can't tell you how many nice old military rifles I have restored because someone decided it would look and work better as a hi-tech sporter....

Why people think they know better than the folks who engineered and built the weapon in the first place I'll never know.

That S&W, it is only worth what it is worth to you. My bet is that there are enough still floating around and that you could do better.

Oh ya and to FPS's point I dont argue its his privy, not what I would do. But seems really dumb to walk away and even consider doing that on short differences.

That said it all worked out, scored a 1923 .30 luger which I frankly wanted more, has a repro holster but a pretty nice package for the money. A1 it will be coming your way as soon as the FFL sends me his fax number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom