• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    As far as cleaning brass, I clean each piece twice. First time right after a range trip and the second time after resizing using corncob or walnut media.

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    As far as cleaning brass, I clean each piece twice. First time right after a range trip and the second time after resizing using corncob or walnut media.

Similar here. I decap then wet tumble with SS pins all brass. After resizing, brushing neck and primer pockets, trimming to length, deburring and chamfering ... back into the wet tumbler.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

I do this with rifle brass to remove the lube. I don't lube pistol brass, so the second cleaning is not needed.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Helps get out the unburnt powder as well. Clean brass = more consistency.

What unburnt powder?

And once you fire them, the next time you fire them, you have the same amount of carbon residue. It does not build up. Something about the process of firing, blowing out any excess. :)

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    I was in the Navy. Brass will be polished.

I wet tumble my brass (after decapping) then drop it into the corncob tumbler to dry and remove any left over residue, soap, and water from the cases. The cases get sized reworked to 'load ready' conditions. Then, right before loading it, I dump the brass back into the corncob and add some dillon rapid polish to make them absolutely gleam when getting loaded.

Is it extreme? Yeah. But I like shiny brass.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    When I first started reloading, it was with bolt action rifles. The brass didn't fall into the dirt. All I did was wipe them down before reloading them and it worked fine. With pistols, you definitely want to clean your brass. Pistol dies are meant to be used without case lube, so cleaning them lets you size them smoothly. I also get range pickup brass in various conditions, so tumbling in stainless steel gets them all clean as new. My rifle brass just gets tumbled in walnut media, and then rolled over a wet paper towel to pull off dust.

Start saving your used dryer sheets. Rip them into a couple pieces and throw 4 of those pieces in your tumbler before you run it. Replace them each time.

It'll save you that step of rolling them on a paper towel to remove dust.

I use a mix of about 3/4 untreated corncob with 1/4 of the dark red treated walnut

They are spotless and shiny when I take them out, no dust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom