• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Day 1 Fly fishing in Montana with my father in law. Waded the Gallitan today. We lost count of how many fish we caught, but it was at least 30+.
    Name checks out.

I caught a handful of decent largemouth off a lake a couple days ago. I usually get skunked there, so I was happy!

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Fished the Severn River several days ago and the white perch were biting. I caught them in my typical summer spots. I also found a couple new spots. One was an oyster bar. They were schooled up nice and we were catching nice sized ones so we decided to keep some.

imagejpeg_0.jpg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Fished the Severn River several days ago and the white perch were biting. I caught them in my typical summer spots. I also found a couple new spots. One was an oyster bar. They were schooled up nice and we were catching nice sized ones so we decided to keep some.

View attachment 418606
    I loved jerking perch. My favorite fried fish.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    The wife and I are trekking up to the Severn to take two young men fishing next Saturday. Hopefully they catch a nice mess of fish.

They sure enjoy it when we take them fishing. I do wish their dad would take them or come when we take them but he doesn’t want the bother I guess.

What are y’all using for bait up there?

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    The wife and I are trekking up to the Severn to take two young men fishing next Saturday. Hopefully they catch a nice mess of fish.

They sure enjoy it when we take them fishing. I do wish their dad would take them or come when we take them but he doesn’t want the bother I guess.

What are y’all using for bait up there?
    I was using an old favorite. A beetle spin. A perch pounder works well too. They are like a small spinnerbait.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I was using an old favorite. A beetle spin. A perch pounder works well too. They are like a small spinnerbait.
    Yeah I love beetle spins, and mepps spinners.

These boys may be a bit young for them since the oldest just graduated kindergarten, but I will have them available.

I will probably use worms to start

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.

These boys may be a bit young for them since the oldest just graduated kindergarten, but I will have them available.

Can't go wrong with a worm and bobber for the little ones.. Good luck

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Caught a few nice large mouth and a few nice crappie this morning. Hooked into probably an 18-20 inch carp but the knot on my braid slid out. Also learned quick sand is is real thing.

Attachments

• 2CC626C1-257F-4D47-AFC4-1A549E6FF50B.jpeg
      2CC626C1-257F-4D47-AFC4-1A549E6FF50B.jpeg
      451.9 KB · Views: 60
    • A7162827-6A26-47D4-A390-3D00FF0696BF.jpeg
      A7162827-6A26-47D4-A390-3D00FF0696BF.jpeg
      298 KB · Views: 57
    • 7C622AAA-0B99-4643-83DD-133645B06FFA.png
      7C622AAA-0B99-4643-83DD-133645B06FFA.png
      666.9 KB · Views: 56
    Last edited:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Gnarly mud!

Used to go to Lake Frank in Rockville when I was a kid. Went there with a friend once and tried to cut across a cove where the water had receded and it looked dry. Got stuck it it for an hour or so. My buddy finally was able to get me out. I was thigh deep in it. Scared the sh*t out of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind

Can't go wrong with a worm and bobber for the little ones.. Good luck

Agreed, and that's probably the most productive, with enough action to keep them entertained.

Once they can cast fairly accurately and are agile enough retrieve effectively, I would let them try spinners. I like the 'hairppin' style spinners for kids, like little 'Mister Twister' and 'Beetle Spin' type lures, because they're more resistant to snagging. The inline spinners like Mepps are very effective, but can be challenging to fish without snagging.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Used to go to Lake Frank in Rockville when I was a kid. Went there with a friend once and tried to cut across a cove where the water had receded and it looked dry. Got stuck it it for an hour or so. My buddy finally was able to get me out. I was thigh deep in it. Scared the sh*t out of me.

Yeah this stuff was to the top of my boots. My buddy laughed and then threw me a log so I could get my feet out of my boots then rip my boots out lol.

Wasn’t doing great but switched to a perch colored fly with spinner blades and started doing great. That carp nearly snapped my ultralight rod.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Yeah this stuff was to the top of my boots. My buddy laughed and then threw me a log so I could get my feet out of my boots then rip my boots out lol.

Wasn’t doing great but switched to a perch colored fly with spinner blades and started doing great. That carp nearly snapped my ultralight rod.

I think that’s how I got out, my buddy kept throwing branches, logs, etc until I could get out. My shoes stayed in the mud I think.
    Ultralight spinning rods have to be the most fun, I’ve always loved it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom