• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Search Gunbroker for Colt Hbar. They had several 20" Hbar ARs, and by swapping the handguards with the triangular ones if they fit, looks like a Vietnam era rifle. Some have flash hiders, some, like mine don't. None will have the bayonet lug though, if that is critical for you. Example;

That just gets you an A2 with triangular handguards though since it’s also got an A2 upper, lower, stock, and pistol grip. There are far more authentic MD legal setups for those determined to clone.

For those willing to build or commission a build, there are the options of doing a Colt 611 build, having an HBAR barrel lathed skinny from the front sight block forward, or possibly having one of those piston kits installed if there’s space. I know a few MD people who went the Colt 611 route.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Here's an A2 clone.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Isn't the Brownells AR MD compliant?

Major late edit: I was thinking of the Brownells Proto, but it is NLA as a complete rifle, you would have to piece it together.

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    In other threads, we've had back-and-forth about whether the Bushmaster prohibition applies to anything made by Bushmaster (including HBAR ARs that would seem to be otherwise legal), or their very first semi-auto rifle made in the late-1970s. I think someone said that they got a letter from MSP telling them that it's the latter...

Also, hasn't there been some back-and-forth about whether the HBAR requirements apply to SBRs as well?
    Yep.

Find your comfort zone….

Feb 28, 2013
    In other threads, we've had back-and-forth about whether the Bushmaster prohibition applies to anything made by Bushmaster (including HBAR ARs that would seem to be otherwise legal), or their very first semi-auto rifle made in the late-1970s. I think someone said that they got a letter from MSP telling them that it's the latter...

Also, hasn't there been some back-and-forth about whether the HBAR requirements apply to SBRs as well?
    The ones from the 70s aint even the same “Bushmaster”. Those were made by Gwynn Firearms IIRC. “Bushmaster” was one of their models

The later “Bushmaster” is its own company

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

These are very well made:

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    FWIW, I tried Retrorifles several times for a similar build over the last 2-3 years and they never had or could deliver what I wanted. Perhaps now, but IDK....

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Me personally, I am going the SBR route with an upper I am building that looks exactly like this. I really like the slab-sides.

GAU_5_A_Right_Side_Picture_11.5_inch_chrome_lined_barrel_with_4.25_original_weight_moderator_6...jpg

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    This is MD law, so ride along with me.

This is a legit HBAR in MD, because it’s marketed that way:
    There is machining ahead of the FSB, but the barrel is an HBAR.

If THIS barrel:
    is still too thin, have the part of the barrel from the FSB down turned to the correct diameter. BOOM! MD compliant A1 with “pencil barrel”.
    Or this:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A real M16A1 is, what, $25,000 or so? I personally think if you have the money it's worth it. You only live once.
    I remember what I was looking at a cpl of Chantillys ago , and just checked a few online listings .

Depending on exact Colt Model Number , originality , and condition , Genuine Colts are +/- $40 k . Misc Form 1 pre '86 transferable converted AR's are starting in mid 20's .

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    OP unless you have a pre-ban you are willing to convert, there are not many good choices for an authentic looking M16A1 clone, unless you move out of state.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Would pinning and welding that thing on the end make that legal length?
    Well - then you have the HBAR requirement, so no unfortunately. That would work well in states like VA though.
    [EDIT] Strictly speaking the original moderator was only 4.5" long and the original barrel 11.5" so you would have to fudge one or the other. But I think a lot of guys do that.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If I wanted to do one of these, I’d get a heavy barrel and turn down everything ahead of the FSB to a pencil profile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom