• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I have recently taken the plunge and bought my dream Barrett. I haven't shot it yet, but I am thinking the mil-spec ammo probably won't give me the accuracy I ultimately want. I plan to get set up to load my own. I am no stranger to hand loading by any means, but have never loaded the big 50. I am looking for some input on what everyone is using for equipment, and maybe even some pet loads. I like what I have read so far on the Amax bullets. I have been looking at using the RCBS Ammomaster kit.

Teemus

MSI Executive Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Don't waste your time. By the time that you buy the components (even if you buy in bulk), you will end up paying around $5.00/round. I've been buying this ammo at the gun shows for around $4.00, sometimes $3.50/round. Thrown in the fact that you need special powder, special primers, expensive bullets and a single stage, single purpose press with expensive dies and your just p****ing in the wind on this one.

longshot1911

Jan 17, 2010
    I have been reloading for the .50 for just over a year now.

The good? Most of the basics apply. Maintain concentricity, weigh/sort bullets, brass, powder, etc etc etc

Now that you are one of the club, you need to join the Fifty Cal Shooters Association (FCSA). Huge amount of info and resources online.

Second, attend one of the FCSA matches in Quantico. They have three a year, with the next in June I believe. (Just returned from overseas yesterday, still getting my bearings).

Do you have a M-107/M-82 or one of Barretts bolt guns?

What is your expectation of accuracy?

Shooting my McMillian Tac 50 with LC ball, my best is 16" five shot groups at 1000 yards. I still have allot to learn shooting at that distance though.

For powder, stick to Hodgen H-50BMG. I can go into why later if you like.

For bullets, the A-max are a great choice. For ultimate accuracy, weight and diameter sorting can help. Your factory chamber will probably not benefit as much though.

I am a sucker for buying the best equipment I can afford. I have two Hollywood Sr turret presses, one set of Hornady dies for FL sizing, and seating ball ammo, one set of CH-4D dies with a interchangeable bushing neck die and inline bullet seater (set up for my A-max load). Also, a M2 priming tool and Guirrard trimmer. Finally, I have one die for swaging primer pockets, and another for expanding necks to a set diameter. Overall, close to $4000 in equipment alone. This can take a bit to work up to.

If you are truly interested, I would be willing to let you check out some of the equipment if you are considering purchase.

For loads, most start at about 225g of various approved powders.

longshot1911

Jan 17, 2010
    Teemus, you are correct that depending on what you are looking for, it may be cheaper to buy bulk surplus ammo. What the OP was looking at is match ammo. You cannot buy match ammo at a gun show for $4 a round. No off the shelf "match ammo" will equal what is possible through careful hand loading.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I have been reloading for the .50 for just over a year now.

The good? Most of the basics apply. Maintain concentricity, weigh/sort bullets, brass, powder, etc etc etc

Now that you are one of the club, you need to join the Fifty Cal Shooters Association (FCSA). Huge amount of info and resources online.

Second, attend one of the FCSA matches in Quantico. They have three a year, with the next in June I believe. (Just returned from overseas yesterday, still getting my bearings).

Do you have a M-107/M-82 or one of Barretts bolt guns?

What is your expectation of accuracy?

Shooting my McMillian Tac 50 with LC ball, my best is 16" five shot groups at 1000 yards. I still have allot to learn shooting at that distance though.

For powder, stick to Hodgen H-50BMG. I can go into why later if you like.

For bullets, the A-max are a great choice. For ultimate accuracy, weight and diameter sorting can help. Your factory chamber will probably not benefit as much though.

I am a sucker for buying the best equipment I can afford. I have two Hollywood Sr turret presses, one set of Hornady dies for FL sizing, and seating ball ammo, one set of CH-4D dies with a interchangeable bushing neck die and inline bullet seater (set up for my A-max load). Also, a M2 priming tool and Guirrard trimmer. Finally, I have one die for swaging primer pockets, and another for expanding necks to a set diameter. Overall, close to $4000 in equipment alone. This can take a bit to work up to.

If you are truly interested, I would be willing to let you check out some of the equipment if you are considering purchase.

For loads, most start at about 225g of various approved powders.

Thanks, would love to check out some of your rig some time. I bought the M82A1, and I know it won't be an absolute tack driver at extreme distance. I do want to see what I can squeeze out of it though. I have a friend who is selling a Hollywood press, so I may go that route. I will look in to Quantico, but with my schedule it would be hard for me to get there. I would love to go check out a match and see what goes on, as well as what works for different people. Thanks again.

I realize I can buy ammo way cheaper then loading it, but I am looking to load for accuracy reasons. For just playing around, I get rather good pricing on Federal XM33 and can use that brass for my custom loads. I also plan to stock up on some API and various other projectiles.

I also have a friend who is buying an EDM Windrunner, and I believe we will go in together on ammo and reloading gear. He should see alot more benefit from match ammo, and he is more interested in the accuracy. I opted for the trade off to have the semi auto firepower and battlefield dependability.

longshot1911

Jan 17, 2010
    Sent a PM with my contact info.

Problem with A-max's in the M-82 is the overall length. Hornady factory ammo will fit you mag, but the bullets are seated Waaaaay deep. My buddy has a M-107, but I do not think he has fired the factory Hornady Ammo I picked up for him.

Probably the best bet for you is the 650 grain turned brass ball profile. Several companies sell them, and they are only about .99 ea. I have seem some really good groups with them (sub 12 at 1k), and they will feed from a mag all day long.

I get the Federa XM33 for about $350 a hundred, and have had really good luck with it thus far. Good luck on the API. It is considered more accurat than ball, but I wouldn't know. Haven't seen any for sale at a reasonable price in a long time. I would stay clear of tracers and API, as you are very likely to set fire to your range.

You do know that the Affiliated Ranges of Baltimore allow .50's on their 200 yard range... Good place to shake out a load.

Quantico is two days, three 5 shot groups each day with sighters. I thought I would go to my first just to watch, as I had no ammo. Wrong. The fella's donated ammo so that I would shoot. Really top notch people. I cannot say enough good things about John, the match director, and Steve (Prospector on here), the Quantico match coordinator.

You are really missing something if you don't try your gun out at 1K. My buddy took his M-107 out last summer and had a great time.

Good luck, and let me know how I can help

StaFrosty

Feb 20, 2011
    Not in MD anymore!!
    I bought my Barrett back in 91, it has a 2 digit serial number, its the model 90 which was the prototype for the model 99. My model 90 is the bullpup with the 5 round magazine, it has a barrel length of 29", and weights in at 22 pounds and came with the lepould scope. I bought the RCBS ammomaster complete with dies for less than 450.00, that was when they first came out with that press. I use the WC 860 powder, I tried the Hogden powder and it burns too fast and hot for me the WC 860 is what the military uses, and what I currently use and you can shoot all day and the barrel will not burn you, course I don't continuously fire it like a semi-auto either, also you can use this powder in .223, 30-06 and a couple other cartridges without problems. I bought most of my components before everything went haywire in price, I currently have over 5K of heads I purchased for 135.00 per thousand, delivered. I use CCI arsenal primers that I purchased for 225.00 per thousand and have plenty. All that in mind, I purchased a 1000 rounds of military ball target, LC cases, from a guy in Mississippi for 1200.00 so when I shoot its less than 3.00 bucks a pop and I don't think its like pi$$in into an electric fan when I reload, but I ain't here to ruffle any feathers either, just spouting what I know what works for me. I was invited to shoot at Quantico but declined, I don't take kindly to some stranger wanting to disassemble my weapon to "check it out" even if he is a Marine and a youngster at that. I have shot on a farm on the eastern shore at 500 yards and printed 3" groups all day long, shot through a 24" hunk of white oak, and my manual says, and I quote "know your backstop, for this weapon will shoot through 3 feet of dirt and an 8" tree at 500 meters". I will agree it is expensive to reload now, but most of my components were bought back when I had a job, retired now, and I do all my own reloading for everything I shoot, pistols, rifles, shotguns, you name it and if I need any parts made, well I know a ceritfied "toolmaker machinist" and he makes everything I need even automotive parts that can't be bought anymore or they are too expensive. Just my .02 cents worth.

longshot1911

Jan 17, 2010
    StaFrosty. Sorry to hear you developed such an odd impression of the Quantico matches. I assure you that nobody touches the guns prior to shooting, other than the match director who weighs them to ensure compliance with restrictive weight classes. I have been a Marine for 16 years, and I agree that (most) of the kids at WTB are unqualified to touch the firearms brought out (except the M-107, which they are trained on).

I would caution shooting WC-860 in a .223. WC-844 and 846 works really well, but 860 is WAY too slow for acceptable velocities. My reason for sticking with the Hodgen is because it is of a know quality. The military has used several powders, of unspecific burn rates over the years. My most recent experience with this involves some new (not pull down) IMR 5010. Conventional loadings for a 650g ball are 225 gr or so, with some much higher. My lot was burning much faster. At 205g of powder, I was backing primers out! I later found some posts that the current 5010 is 10-15% hotter than the older stuff. No thank you! On the flip side is VV powders. They are hands down the best for long range match shooting.... but... they are very temp sensitive. You will see shooters at a match pre-heating their ammo to optimize performance. Again, no thank you. I will stick with a proven, stable, regulated, current production powder from here on out

StaFrosty

Feb 20, 2011
    Not in MD anymore!!
    Longshot1911, I do think it is "odd" for some stranger to want to disassemble your weapon, especially if I don't know the fella from jack, who knows what "training" this person has or any at all, paper credentials don't mean that much to me, with the internet, anyone can be anybody now-a-days, all my stuff is squeaky clean, inspected, looked over from womb to tomb, by me. I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything, just alot of "experience" and seeing others make mistakes, it only takes one time you know, but I do know from past experiences, and "others" mistakes what to look for. I personally don't load .223, nor 30-06 with WC 860, all my powders are "fresh" in sealed containers, not "pull downs", the same with my all my heads. I will use previously fired cases only after they have been inspected multiple times by me, I don't trust "others" reloads nor will I accept them. I am very anal about my reloading and am very aware of putting my face near the breech of a weapon using reloads. I worked at Andrews for 14 years, then at the Navy Yard and Anacostia for another 5.5, was at building 66 when the so called "plane" hit the Pentagon, could see the Pentagon from my office, lived under the flight path at Andrews so I think I know what a jet sounds like. Hung out with the marines at Andrews just about every day, was a personal friend of the armourer there and at the time when I was invited to shoot at Quantico, I was informed by them they had to "disassemble" and inspect my weapon before entry to the range, so I only speak of what I was told, by them. I have not since tried to inquire about shooting there since, so maybe the rules have changed, I just figured they were to extreme for me at the time. I have had military rounds fail, I have one case that the neck split on it, approx 1" long, I have spoken with alot of old, old timers and they said they shoot till the cases fail, well, thats just not the norm for me, I like being able to look in the mirror every morning , brush all my teeth and be able to see all my body parts are still there. When I used the Hogden powder, it was "fresh and sealed" I started with a load 30 grains less than what was specified and after 5 shots the barrel was extremely warm, much more so than with the WC 860. I don't have a bad impression about the Marines, I like them very much, I know they have their procedures and always got along with them as though they were my brothers, my armourer friend retired in 92 and I still converse with him even though he lives in another state. His family lives in Iowa and they have an awesome farm, it is currently over 10,000 acres, I think they have maybe 50 trees on the whole place. I have shot there with very good results, so please don't take what I have to say the wrong way, like I said before I only speak of what I was told by "others", again, just my .02 cents worth.

longshot1911

Jan 17, 2010
    No issue here. I was agreeing that being a Marine armorer in no way qualifies anybody to dig into a gun they are unfamiliar with.

I always encourage people to shoot the FCSA matches, because I truly believe they are a great group of people who care about the sport. Not to mention, it is a great way to find out what your equipment is capable of, all in a relaxed, professional environment.

sandbanger

how's it going eisenhower
    Dec 14, 2010
    Longshot1911, ......I worked at Andrews for 14 years, then at the Navy Yard and Anacostia for another 5.5, was at building 66 when the so called "plane" hit the Pentagon, could see the Pentagon from my office, lived under the flight path at Andrews so I think I know what a jet sounds like.,.... again, just my .02 cents worth.

:tinfoil:

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Midway has the Lee 50bmg setup for $200 and the Hornady for around $500. That is the press with the dies. They are both single stage so your rounds will be as good as your preparation. Lee may be looked down on by some because it is a Chevy not a BMW but the Chevy will serve as well or better in many instances and save you a buttload of money in the process.

longshot1911

Jan 17, 2010
    Perhaps, perhaps not. It depends what it was fired out of. If it was from a M2, chances are the gun was set with excessive headspace. The brass will be very difficult to size, and will likely be excessively thin just above the case head. This greatly reduces brass life. I would much rather stick to better brass that will last longer.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I have a Barret M99, been reloading for several years, and shooting them.

I get all of my components from patsreloading.com

I have the Lee 50 cal press and a Hornady .50 cal powder thrower.

These are some of my loads, I do use IMR 5010. I don't load max charges since I reuse cases. You will go through a lot of powder :innocent0

Powder Bullet Bullet Weight (grains) Charge Weight (grains) Max Charge Weight Primer Case Pre-fired case?

Virgin 5010 surplus FMJBT 690 210 unknown CCI 35 Mixed Yes
    Virgin 5010 surplus FMJBT 690 215 unknown CCI 35 Mixed Yes
    Virgin 5010 surplus FMJBT 647 220 unknown CCI 35 Mixed Yes

longshot1911

Jan 17, 2010
    willtill,

You have some of the slower burning 5010. Those same loads with the lot I have will blow primers out. Just a word of caution about the new Virgin 5010 currently on the market. I, and several others, have experienced this issue with powder purchased from HiTech ammo in St Louis (this is in no way a slant against HiTech, as they are top notch).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom