• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you support universal background checks on all gun purchases?

• Yes

Votes: 32 8.8%
    • No

Votes: 330 91.2%

• Total voters

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I said this in another thread. In todays political climate I find it complete and utter BS to think 92% of an group could agree on one thing. In statistics when things tend to trend at 60/40 for "everything" it is a statistical anamoly when it shoots through the roof. So either the question had multiple choices and one was against and the rest had varying degrees of yes, it was biased, or it was plan made up.

RedBaron1

Feb 12, 2012
    Just a reality check to anyone who still believes that their SSN is secure, think again. Come on people its 2013, finding out your life story is a fews clicks of a mouse away for anyone with half a brain. Almost everyday I hear someone say "Im not giving anyone my SSN", makes me smile. I smile because ignorance must really be blissful.

I don't suppport backround checks. I do support a basic knowledge test before firearm purchases. Stupid people should not be allowed guns, period. We've all seen them at the range or in the gun store. If you ask a question such as "Is the AR fully automatic?" Or "Do you have one of them 40cal joints with the shell catcher?", even if you could pass a backrround check, you should not be allowed to buy a gun.

If we did a better job as responsible gun owners and regulated ourselves, the lawmakers wouldnt be doing it for us. If each of us went out and identified one stupid gun owner and took his/her guns away or denied them a purchase we would all be better off. You cannot fix stupid, its impossible, but you can limit the amount of harm a stupid person can inflict on others.

Think about it.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    i agree with background checks for pistols/AR's, although I absolutely do NOT agree with having them registered to you for the state to see.

So let me get this right, no background check for a Saiga-12 shotgun, but you want a background check for an AR or a pistol?

Respectfully, what is going wrong with your thought process here? (and yes, you must be using some faulty logic to think this is a good idea). Do you think that background checks stop people from getting an AR or a pistol through other means?

Even if you had "universal background checks", how long do you think it would take for say your average run of the mill guy like myself to procure an AR?

Let me help you out, I could have one in less than 24 hours, with no serial number, no 4473, and no evidence that I even purchased anything firearms related outside of cash, ftf transactions, without breaking a single law. You might want to ban tools, the wheel, and technology in general if you want this to work.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    You know I still have a fond memory of purchasing a revolver, it was 1985 Fairbanks AK, I walked in picked out a sweet S&W 357 mag, did a one page form took less than 30 secs, which the dealer threw in his pile of paperwork to be filed in his store, not sent anywhere, showed my DL to show I was over 21, picked out a holster and got some ammo, paid for my purchases and walked out the door with everything. IMHO a firearm, like any other tool should be able to quickly and easily purchased. Other than being carded for age like a liquior store that should be it.

Ownership, Possession should not be infinged. Use it to commit a crime = go to jail for the crime not the tool.

If you use a rope to strangle someone, should it be less of a charge because you didn't use a gun and shoot them instead?

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    .. and now that we know 100% they are keeping records, will we do anything about it.. ??

I would love to, but who do we go to?

Who watches the watchers and all that?

Plus they probably think they are above the law, one of the root cause of the current problems with society IMHO...

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    I would love to, but who do we go to?

Who watches the watchers and all that?

Plus they probably think they are above the law, one of the root cause of the current problems with society IMHO...

You're correct,. my point is that many here advocate a cash and carry with no questions asked policy for any and all firearms. Many don't like the NICS system, yet are doing nothing to change the fact that MD is not only performing background checks, they are keeping detailed records of those results, including all firearm information. As usual the apathy can sometimes run thick around here.

I have NO problem with the NICS system as it works now. There is NO need for changes. It's a system that seems to be working for the most part.

According to the FBI website: "More than 100 million such checks have been made in the last decade, leading to more than 700,000 denials" It worked with Lanza and guessing by those numbers is working for other prohibited persons.

The only thing that concerns me about the NICS: is the data retention system, is the firearm information really being destroyed.?

Last edited:

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    ... that's not to say that those who really want a firearm will be deter from getting them by other means ... Such as was the case with Lanza, from what looks like a careless parent.

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    I think all purchases, public and private, should go through the current NICS system or some kind of equivalent...something that isn't a "registry" or a "confiscation list", but just runs a person through a database to insure they aren't a convicted felon or something.

I think a lot of the arguments I've heard against these background checks are rather weak. Yes, criminals will probably steal firearms or buy them on the black market. But that's already illegal, and it's often a lot harder to do that than to walk into a store and buy one.

There's a lot of talk about "burdening law-abiding citizens", but who is to say who is "law-abiding" and who isn't without a background check?

I don't think an insta-check is an "undue burden", I call it "due process".

That's just me. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who want to go back to the pre-'34 rules where you can walk down to the hardware store and buy a 6-pack of Thompson submachine guns. :P

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Make no mistake about it, "universal background checks" is another way to say "BAN ALL PRIVATE GUN SALES".
    Whatever makes it harder for law-abiding citizens to buy and sell guns!

cdstraw

Oct 9, 2008
    Frederick County, MD
    I agree that when a citizen wishes to purchase a firearm, a background check, i.e. NCIS should be conducted. However, I believe that the system that is used should be universally accepted and monitored at a national level, not with the whims of the state.

Also those checks should be to verify that the person who is purchasing said firearm has no history or background of participating in any violent criminal acts or has a histroy of mental incapacitation. The definition of violent criminal behavior and mental incapacitation can be debated, but I think you know the point I'm trying to make.

Also after conducting the check, the query should be destroyed, unless... the purchaserer is flagged for some reason, then the local law enforcement agency should conduct a follow-up query as to why the person is desiring to purchase a firearm that they should not be having.

I know reaching, how do you fund, etc. Lots of questions, few good answers. But I do believe responsible firearm owners only want firearms in the hands of responsbile citizens.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I see 92% of us oppose UBC.

Perhaps the original pollsters were just dyslexic.

I am in favor of NO gun control laws and would love to be able to go to Western Auto (geezer alert) and buy a .38 like you could pre '68, or a Thompson back in '33.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    So long as it is just a background / mental health check I don't have a problem with it. The problem is, you can't be sure they are not keeping a full record of who has what. Just the kind of thing a dictator out of control would want.

livefreeordie

Feb 1, 2013
    Can someone craft a clear and concise argument for us to distribute on social media to combat this before it gets too far? Just a few sentences. They are certainly playing on the ignorance of everyone and we need to get our side's message out regarding Background checks ASAP to the ignorant and antis alike. We almost need to use the same type of platitudes that you hear the antis use, like "common sense" and "public safety".

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    No background checks, no federal paperwork, repeal all federal firearm code. None has ever shown any reduction in crime, most are sporadically enforced. Between 2% and 3% of the population have felony convictions on their record, instead of criminalizing the rights of all citizens, we should make it as easy as possible for the other 97% to be armed and as dangerous as possible to criminals big and small. You also have the matter that more than 100 million citizens were murdered by their own government in the last 100 years, all were subject to citizen firearms bans enacted by these regimes. It has been shown repeatedly that it is near impossible to keep criminals from obtaining contraband, even in prison with a total ban on most everything, and complete authoritarian control, although the simple answer is that if a criminal is so dangerous that that they are likely to hurt people if they have access to a firearm, they should stay in prison.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: THIS!

Our political masters need to stop punishing us and work harder to keep criminals locked up!

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    I would be in favor of NICS checks for all gun purchases, but that's about it. I don't like the idea of somone who is a convicted felon buying a gun through the secondary market to bypass the background check. I wouldn't be in favor of anything beyond that however

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    I am in favor of it. HOWEVER, I would need an assurance from the other side that records will not be kept of the people that buy guns. I could live with something like a 5 year time frame for records to be retained, but after that, anybody retaining a Form 4473 or something similar to it, would be sentenced to a mandatory 10 years in prison. I am a give and take kind of person. I understand the issue where a lunatic can purchase a gun FTF and then commit an atrocity; however, I also understand the database argument for confiscation. Now that I think about it, there would have to be ZERO record retention. Otherwise, they would ALWAYS know who owns a specific firearm unless the person owns it for 5 years or more. Meh, now I am somewhere in-between on the records retention.

If we can do something to reduce the number of lunatics/criminals with guns, and still keep our freedom from a tyrannical government, I'll be in favor of it.

Heck, I'm in favor of Obama's proposal to cut social security and medicare and raise taxes across the board.

And, I call myself a conservative.

Exactly, you "call" yourself a conservative and you trust your government when there is no rational reason to do so. Also, define conservative. Are we taking Barry Goldwater conservative or neocon Bush/Cheney?

BTW, social security and medicare a "benefits" that taxpayers paid for. If you paid for something, how would you feel if it was taken away?

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I believe that universal NICS checks are a good idea for all gun sales - in stores and private sales. I think this should be available for all 50 states and that every state should be required to upload pertinent information regarding criminal backgrounds and other data that is used as a disqualifier. If the NICS database isn't accurate and current, then what's the point?

But....
    1. Any data on what I'm buying is not kept more than 30 days
    2. The NICS check is it. No other state checks on top of NICS
    3. If I'm approved, then it's cash & carry. No waiting period.

For private sales, if I can use my iPhone to contact pretty much anyone on the planet connected to a network, buy almost anything, and find out where I am within a few feet if I'm lost then there could be a website or an "App" to log into NICS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom