• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I'll take the 12 Gauge Pump Shot Gun for the Win...

No hunting for the front sight in the dark for me...

Point & Shoot a few rounds & then call 911 for a clean up team...

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Simple answer is both. The Mak is a lot easier to carry around, the round isn't all that bad for defense provided it's reliable modern ammo, being between 380 and 9mm, better option in the yard or around the house in the daytime. The carbine is probably easier to get into action if you get woken up in the middle of the night. Long guns are more stable when you are shaking and disoriented, and even though it's a pistol caliber, a carbine can add up to 200FPS to an already decent handgun round.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I'll take the 12 Gauge Pump Shot Gun for the Win...

No hunting for the front sight in the dark for me...

Point & Shoot a few rounds & then call 911 for a clean up team...

ever been to a 3 gun match? let's just say stationary shotgun targets are missed from time to time, with slugs and yes, even shot. it's not hard, but not as easy as falling off a log.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Pistol calibers are optimized to perform in pistol length barrels. There is a slight gain in going to barrel lengths around ~10" for most common pistol calibers, but with a 16" barrel some actually begin to lose velocity from friction. Most popular PCC's are adaptations or rechamberings of popular rifles (see AR's in 9mm) for the same length, weight, and bulk I'd just roll with 5.56.

For more unbiased info see the switch from the 80's of SWAT, SF and various other LE and MIL organizations from the HK MP5 to the M4.

Now PCC's do have one gain in reduced hearing damage but that's a toss up on personal preference.
    Of course you should go with a "rifle caliber" rifle if you can but that doesn't mean you don't gain significant stopping power and accuracy with most handgun calibers when fired from a longer barrel. 10 mm is superb from a 16 inch barrel, as is .357 mag. That's why I said your remark needed qualifiers, because for the most part it's not true, although there are exceptions.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Of course you should go with a "rifle caliber" rifle if you can but that doesn't mean you don't gain significant stopping power and accuracy with most handgun calibers when fired from a longer barrel. 10 mm is superb from a 16 inch barrel, as is .357 mag. That's why I said your remark needed qualifiers, because for the most part it's not true, although there are exceptions.

Many Bambi's are not available for comment...

Hornady 180 grain XTP.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Here is a strange either or for you guys.
    Which would you feel more comfortable in your house with if you had to defend yourself quickly.. No safe room and wait for police and no what you have please. Here are the 2 to pick from. Please just pick one. I am very proficient with either one.
    45 cal Hi point carbine or Russian Makarov.
    I have other goodies to guard my bedroom and kitchen just nothing right now if someone kicked in the front door. Thanks for your opinions

If these were the only options I had, I would sell both of them and buy something more suited to your needs.

Sorry, I can't comprehend this scenario because I would never put myself in that position.

I'm never more than 5 feet (usually I have something on or very near to me)from a capable firearm, so I wouldn't be able to help you with that strict option you gave.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    For the purpose of "immediate defense if someone kicks in the door" the mak is the clear choice. Are you going to honestly keep the carbine slung on you at all times for immediate use? Nope. In contrast, you can always have that mak on your person.

You should plan for the very real possibility that even with the mak, you're going to go into hand to hand combatives. Within a small space, you dont have a lot of time before a threat can close distance...especially multiple threats. How are you with hand to hand defense, movement under stress, and edged weapon offense/defense?

In addition, are you prepared for what happens after the fight? Do you have emergency medical training? Do you have tourniquets, vented chest seals, hemostatic gauze(or just a shit-ton of regular gauze), etc in a place that you can access them within 30 seconds or so(when arterial blood is spurting from your shoulder, it's a bad time to be digging through the back of a cabinet)?

Are you prepared for the legal fight? If someone busted in right now as you are reading this, and you killed them defending yourself... What do you say in the 911 call and what specific lawyer are you calling to talk to police for you?

Things to consider if you havent yet. If you're preparing for a defensive fight for your life, do it right.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    Having been at the Delta Peach Bottom steel challenge shoot this past weekend and for most preceding months, I have seen that with the exception of 1-2 hotshot pistol users, PCCs regularly are faster than all the pistols present. Also, given the magazines available, the carbine users rarely need to reload, whereas the pistol users do.

So, given the choices present, the best gun is the one you will have readily at hand, but if both are available then the better choice in my opinion is the carbine.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'll see the OP's potentially strange question, and raise with another potentially strange question:

Are you willing to have the pistol * On your Person * during your waking hours, in your home ? Or is that too much trouble / don't want to seem wierd to your friends ?

When seconds, and fractions of seconds count , a vaguely suitable pistol on you, trumps better alternatives across the room .

If not willing to make that commitment, then a strong, but not absolute nudge for the carbine .

Pistol Calibre Carbines - much love, and much hate . ( Magnum cal leverguns have rifle cred in their own right, and I suppose a 10mm carbine with full power ammo could be mentioned in the same sentence . But in the context of this discussion, we'll discuss 9mm/ .40/ .45acp carbines .)

To put my position up front , PCC's do have a useful niche.

A shoulder stock used against a shoulder, and longer sight radius will give much more precise hits out to much longer distances than a handgun, for 99.8% of users . And the less experienced, or more rattled the shooter, the greater the margin of improvement.

Sometimes PCC will have meaningful velocity/ power increase of same round from pistol (looking at you 9x19) , but in this case , .45acp has minimal increase from carbine over 5in pistol .

I be hard pressed to think of an advantage of PCC over rifle cal rifle ( other than muzzle blast, and suitability to be suppressed ), but most of the rifle advantages are pronounced at farther than home defense distances.

Within their parameters of arbitarily 100yds , PCC are useful tools.

And for the final word on home defense shoulder arms ... Shotgun .

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Taurus Judge, Colt King Cobra and a National Postal Meter M1 Carbine with an assortment of Shot or Ball available in 15 round mags.

I am not familiar with OP's pieces, but his question is good nonetheless.

If I ever have to defend the "ranch," I want the fr-g perp down, scared shitless or running straight through the glass slider as fast as possible.

I learned all I know about self defense in Korea and on the streets Saigon
    and Nha Trang. We were not allowed to tote in either of the cities, and luckily for us, the VC/NVA chose not to screw with us.

Lew--Ranger63
    Infantry, Airborne, Ranger, Dual Rated Aviator
    Korea, Vietnam, Vietnam II, W. Germany

Msteers

May 26, 2017
    Personally i couldn't justify a rifle caliber for "my" home defense go to. Although mine and my families safety is a priority, i couldnt imagine having a neighbor struck and injured
    because my high velocity rifle round made contact with another house.

Pump action and .9mm HP for me.

I forgot my dogs... Cause the English Bdog barks when a plastic bag is flying through the wind outside and can never get him to shutup.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Personally i couldn't justify a rifle caliber for "my" home defense go to. Although mine and my families safety is a priority, i couldnt imagine having a neighbor struck and injured
    because my high velocity rifle round made contact with another house.

Pump action and .9mm HP for me.

I forgot my dogs... Cause the English Bdog barks when a plastic bag is flying through the wind outside and can never get him to shutup.

http://how-i-did-it.org/drywall/results.html

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Lots of different ways to look at this. As someone pointed out, power wise the 9mm Mak is about midway between .380 and 9x19mm, I'm sure there are plenty of people that have been murdered in the hood with a .380 shot or two to the head, so there is little doubt that the 9mm Mak can be lethal. Finding effective modern defensive ammo for the Mak can be problematic though, being a Soviet/Communist East Europe design, most of the commonly available (ie. inexpensive) ammo offerings are FMJ types, and not the best choices for defensive use.

On the other hand, if you fire two or three 230 gr. 45 slugs in to the torso of the toughest assailant from the Hi Point, they are going down hard and not getting back up, at least not quickly, which gives you plenty of time to seal the deal if necessary.

Three shots in to the torso of a determined, possibly chemically altered Felon from a 9mm Mak could just severely piss them off, and motivate them to crush your skull, or stab you 40 times with a hunting knife before they bleed out.

If the choice is between the Hi Point and the Mak my vote goes to the Hi Point. In a life or death situation I would rather be throwing high velocity bowling balls at my opponent than golf balls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom