• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrgnstrn

Mar 18, 2014
    Folks,

In a few weeks I will be going with a buddy to bust some clay pidgeons.

I've never done that with my current (new-to-me) shotgun, a Rem 1100.

I shot clays with my father over a decade ago with his ancient Winchester 1897, and we were just screwing around, not really trying to out-do the other. and I don't honestly remember if I was any good or not.

so basically, I have no recent experience.

But I have a shotgun and two stocks available: one with a regular comb and one with the high comb. which one do you recommend I install?
    Or put another way, which one do most people start with, if there are some that do and don't like the high comb?

thanks in advance.

-M

johnlax38

NOOB
    Nov 19, 2013
    Crofton, MD
    Folks,

I shot clays with my father over a decade ago with his ancient Winchester 1897, and we were just screwing around, not really trying to out-do the other. and I don't honestly remember if I was any good or not.

But I have a shotgun and two stocks available: one with a regular comb and one with the high comb. which one do you recommend I install?
    Or put another way, which one do most people start with, if there are some that do and don't like the high comb?

thanks in advance.

-M

I have shot clays for a few years but I am not an expert. However, I would use the stock that feels more comfortable and provides you the best line of site down the barrel. I say this because I use a Stoeger O/U 20g for clays and I cannot change the stock. I want more depth so I can align my eyes better with out tilting my head to the side. My neck and right shoulder isn't as flexible so I need the lower comb. Using a friends older semi-auto, I can keep my head in an upright position and have a better sight picture. I do better with his gun.

If you can before you go shooting before your event, give both a try and see what works best for you. Its hard to say which one is the best. If you can't go shooting, hold the gun and track birds in the sky like you were shooting clays. See which one feels more natural and comfortable.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I hate answers like this :) >>>

High and low are relative terms, how high and how low? And how the stock height relates to the rib matters; a high comb is often paired with a high rib and vice-verse.

A higher stock is typically preferred for target shooting and that's what I would recommend, with a couple caveats:

A very high Monte Carlo stock on a field gun is probably not a good combination, it will make you shoot high (which may be helpful for trap).

If one stock provides a noticeably better fit for length go with that one.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I hate answers like this :) >>>

High and low are relative terms, how high and how low? And how the stock height relates to the rib matters; a high comb is often paired with a high rib and vice-verse.

A higher stock is typically preferred for target shooting and that's what I would recommend, with a couple caveats:

A very high Monte Carlo stock on a field gun is probably not a good combination, it will make you shoot high (which may be helpful for trap).

If one stock provides a noticeably better fit for length go with that one.

Yeah, the monte carlo stocks are usually for trap shooting, where you don't really want to be looking straight down the rib such that you don't see the rib. To be able to "float" the target above the barrel in trap shooting, you want to have your head positioned a little higher relative to the rib such that a portion of the rib is actually visible. For trap shooting, where all the targets are rising, a monte carlo stock works well.

Now, for almost all other types of shooting, you want a stock that slopes downward as it approaches your shoulder. If you mount the gun and practice shooting down at a rabbit, left to right at a crosser, and shooting directly overhead as a target comes over, you will notice that your head is in a different spot on the gun for those three shots. That is how it needs to be, but a monte carlo stock does not allow for that.

OP, the answer to your question is "It depends on what clays game you will be shooting". If you will be shooting trap, go with the "higher" stock. If you are shooting skeet, 5 stand, or sporting clays, go with the one that slopes more.

If the "higher" one isn't a monte carlo stock, then go with the one that fits best and use it for everything.

End of the day, you are just starting out, and you aren't going to be breaking 100 straight. Best thing is to get out and shoot with one stock and then the other, and see how you do.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    As mentioned above, a high comb is paired with a high-rib barrel for trap shooting. Use a field stock and standard-type barrel for skeet and sporting clays.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    OP, here are some pics to help you out. Top gun is a trap gun. The bottom gun is what I used for skeet, sporting clays, and 5 stand until I switched to a semi- auto for those. You should be able to see the raised comb and rib on the trap gun. Note that the rib on the single barrel slopes down from a high rib to almost meeting at the muzzle so that it can float the target a little better.

Attachments

• MdShooters98.jpg
      MdShooters98.jpg
      62.2 KB · Views: 130
    • MdShooters99.jpg
      MdShooters99.jpg
      53.7 KB · Views: 124
    • MdShooters100.jpg
      MdShooters100.jpg
      74.3 KB · Views: 173

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Folks,

thanks in advance.

-M

I'm no 'pro' at shooting Trap, Skeet (actually, I've never shot skeet!), and/or Sporting Clays, but I "hold my own" from the 16 yard line, in Trap.

I use a Remington 1100 that is a Magnum. It has a 24" Hastings Barrel on it, and that's the only barrel that's been on this shotgun in 28+ years.
    This gun FITS me.

Again, I'm no pro, but, I can consistently hit 23 birds, or 24 birds, and when hunting pheasants, friends have said, "If it flies.... it dies", when I have that 1100 in my hands.
    There's something about that elusive bird number 25, that I just can't hit. :shrug:
    Yes...... I CHOKE! :)

Here's a pic of how it looks.

The ultimate bottom line is this -

Set the shotgun up with one stock, and see how it fits YOU. Shoot a couple of rounds at either a sheet of paper (with a big circle painted on it), or at a thrown clay bird.

Swap out the stock, and try it, again.

Whichever one feels the best to YOU, is what I'd use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom