• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    To each their own, hard to make a choice until you hold it in your hand. I'm a big fan of the Manix 2 series, awesome, strong and secure ambi lock, great utility handle and blade shape, and plenty of variants with different materials and colors. Have pretty much settled on BB/Axis locks and Ti framelocks with flippers, the vast majority of my EDCs are one or the other. I've tried desperately to like the PM2, bought one for my brother, handled them plenty of times, just do not like the compression lock, the cutout messes with the feel of the grip, and it's not terribly quick or comfortable for me, epic blade and handle shape though. Not a fan of liner locks, had one come loose years ago, I got cut, and have been wary of them since, they are easy to open inadvertently, and easy to jam up with pocket dirt. The Sage blade and handle shape don't fit as well as others, and feels slippery compared to the big choils and rough texture of the Manix and PM series.

Last edited:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I have a dragonfly 2 that I keep on my EDC work backpack but that's where it stays. Great tool but I went right back to my benchmade triage with the blunt edge.

Besides sticking a nice knife in wood to take a photo.....how often do you "stab" anything? Need to open a box, the sharp blade works just as well as a tip. Need to pry open a knot? That tip is just cutting your rope anyway. Need to pry open a door? Blunt tip is way better!

While not cool and visually appealing it's 100xs more useful.

I don't say this to sway you from spyderco, they make AMAZING products......just really get you thinking about your needs vs wasting money on a knife that doesn't 100% fit your needs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      45.1 KB · Views: 274

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    PM2, without a doubt. Though, I carry my Benchmade Osbourne everyday. The Spyderco's are in the drawer. I also like the combo blade's. I don't think the PM2 comes with one.

I just got a blacked out Salt 1 in the mail this morning.
    It's pretty much the exact size as a Delica, but the blade profile is a little different and it's waterproof.
    I'm not really a Spyderco guy, but I really dig this one.
    I bought it to keep in the pouch under the seat on my bike, won't have to worry about rust if I leave it in the shed year round.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Looking for an EDC for around $100.

I think I've narrowed it down to these,

sage in CF

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/SP...knife-3-s30v-plain-blade-carbon-fiber-handles

Or the PM2

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/SP...nife-s30v-satin-plain-blade-black-g10-handles

Thoughts experience?

Sorta have both, a PM2 and a Sage (but a Sage 3 with bolt action lock). Agree with alucard on liner and compression locks. The Sage 3 bypasses the liner lock potential failures with a truly awesome bolt lock. Don't get me wrong, I still love the PM2, but for general edc and utility functions it really comes down to personal preferences. If I were on the fence over your two specific models, I'd try a Manix 2 (in the middle below):

Attachments

• IMAG0439.jpg
      IMAG0439.jpg
      20.7 KB · Views: 248

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    How do either of those carry in the pocket? The sage seems to carry deeper in the pocket ? I want a thin carry knife that I don't even know it's there.

ponypeddler87

Feb 17, 2013
    St. Marys
    PM2 got one coming in S110V but I also love my Manix 2 in S110V. Although I would not recommend hand sharpening S110V, it will take a good bit of time.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    How do either of those carry in the pocket? The sage seems to carry deeper in the pocket ? I want a thin carry knife that I don't even know it's there.

The Sage 3 does carry deeper "stock" than the other two. But deep carry clips are available for most Spyderco models. The Manix 2, plus an aftermarket deep carry clip retails about the same price as a Sage 3.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    The Sage 3 does carry deeper "stock" than the other two. But deep carry clips are available for most Spyderco models. The Manix 2, plus an aftermarket deep carry clip retails about the same price as a Sage 3.

Didn't realize that, deep carry for PM2 might be the ticket

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    The PM2 feels very thin and light in the pocket. Nice and smooth action; an excellent choice. I had an olive one in D2 that was my favorite until it was lost. Now I carry a newer black one in S30V.

I assume you can get a replacement clip but I never felt the need for it.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    PM2 got one coming in S110V but I also love my Manix 2 in S110V. Although I would not recommend hand sharpening S110V, it will take a good bit of time.

I have been unimpressed by my S110V Manix2, never dulls from wear, but I use it for everything, and the blade looses it's edge from rolls and chips, then to bring it back, it takes forever to sharpen, my S30V versions resist damage much better and end up keeping a useful edge longer, and are much easier to strop and sharpen. I do love the FRN lightweight design though, and even with it's flaws, still a big step up from BD1. Wish they would come out with a lightweight in M4 or 204P with a deep carry clip.

Orthogonal

Jul 23, 2013
    Bel Air
    Another vote for PM2 in S30V.

EDC for more than a year and it still looks like new:

Attachments

• 2352621151.jpg
      2352621151.jpg
      62.2 KB · Views: 156

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics