• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • B1web

Cogito Ergo Sum! (cogito)
    Jan 11, 2008
    There was a really nice 870 Marine in the classified section here a few days ago. Nice shottie for 500 bucks.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    For Skeet
    semi's need to be able to handle the light loads
    pump will shoot about anything, but the time delay to pump between clays may be an issue, but an overall good bird gun.
    over-under will shoot just bout anything, don't have to worry about reloading between clays.
    side-by-side, same as over-under, but you will have to learn to lead the target.
    single-shot shoots everything, reloading between clays is the problem, requires practice.

Bob

Mar 30, 2009
    You can't go wrong with an 1100. Light recoil, easy pointing. You want to get a 2 3/4 chamber.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    An 870 is probably the most versatile around, you can swap defensive, slug, field or target barrels in about 30 seconds, and as pumps go it is the gold standard for reliability and bang for the buck, wingmasters are a little better suited to clay games. Starting out with a pump will help build the fundamentals at a low cost without a lot of extra trouble, and if you are shooting single targets it has no real disadvantage.

If you decide to get into clays, you can go with a semi auto or over/under as your interest and budget allow, they are more difficult to shoot well, and take care of, but the semi action reduces recoil, and a good over under has better balance, and individual choke tubes for each shot, with a lot of options as far as fitment and aesthetics. The most obvious advantage of either vs the pump is when shooting pairs of clays instead of singles, athough if you get good with the pump, you are not really handicapped by much, and a good pump gunner can often keep up with a semi in most of the target presentations you might encounter. Even after "moving up" to a sporting gun, the 870 still has many uses as a defensive gun, to loan if you bring a friend to the clays range, or if you take up hunting anything from upland birds to deer. For autos, the beretta 391s are great, and my personal favorite. I have limited experience with O/Us, but have tried a few out, low end guns don't fit as well, and can have quality, reliability and durability problems compared to a Beretta 686/687 or Browning Citori, although they get really expensive.

Tankfixr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Harford County
    Own an 870 Wingmaster for hunt and clay. An 870 Express with tactical choke for home defense. Never a complaint with either. You couldn't go wrong with these if you tried.

wyomingboy

Jan 26, 2009
    A gas operated semi auto is the gun to buy for Skeet. Few if any Skeet shooters use pumpguns any longer. That stopped about 40 years ago. An 1100 or a Beretta 391 would be best. Beretta sells reduced length models designed for ladies. Reliable and light recoil. Stick with a 12ga.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    I just went through this same situation...
    I looked for used but ended up buying a Beretta 390 at Wally and it shoots great!
    LAX is selling his used 11-87 if you want to PM him.

For a NOOB shooting skeet with a pump gives you a disadvantage on the second shot b/c you lose the target racking the second round. I'd stick with a semi or if you have the cash get an o/u.

I stayed away from the 1100 b/c it cannot shoot 3" rounds and I wanted my shottie to be versatile.

Check out shotgun world they have lots of used shotties...

razorV23

TK421
    Dec 18, 2008
    Annapolis
    How about a Browning 2000 or A-500G, both semi auto. I have one of each and am willing to part with one of them. Send me a PM if interested. Both are in excellent condition.

razorV23

TK421
    Dec 18, 2008
    Annapolis
    pics

Attachments

• dscn2488.JPG
      dscn2488.JPG
      53.7 KB · Views: 240

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    I just went through this same situation...
    I looked for used but ended up buying a Beretta 390 at Wally and it shoots great!
    LAX is selling his used 11-87 if you want to PM him.

For a NOOB shooting skeet with a pump gives you a disadvantage on the second shot b/c you lose the target racking the second round. I'd stick with a semi or if you have the cash get an o/u.

I stayed away from the 1100 b/c it cannot shoot 3" rounds and I wanted my shottie to be versatile.

Check out shotgun world they have lots of used shotties...

thanks Maui,
    happygirl if you are interested in an 11-87 premier let me know I will make you a good deal.

phil

Oct 25, 2008
    Edgewood, MD
    I just bought my first shotgun a few months ago. Heard nothing but good reports on the 870 here and elswhere - 10 million buyers can't be all wrong.
    A friend at work suggested looking at the Mossberg 500 as well. He has both and likes both, told me either will fill my needs as a casual clay bird shooter.
    I was all set to buy an 870 until I looked at the Mossberg at Dicks.
    It was a bit lighter but still felt solid. Just liked the looks better. At the time it also came with a slug barrell and 2x scope for the asme money as the 870 express alone so I went with the Mossberg. After a few outings I have no complaints.
    ________
    Honda CR450

Last edited:

phil

Oct 25, 2008
    Edgewood, MD
    I just bought my first shotgun a few months ago. Heard nothing but good reports on the 870 here and elswhere - 10 million buyers can't be all wrong.
    A friend at work suggested looking at the Mossberg 500 as well. He has both and likes both, told me either will fill my needs as a casual clay bird shooter.
    I was all set to buy an 870 until I looked at the Mossberg at Dicks.
    It was a bit lighter but still felt solid. Just liked the looks better. At the time it also came with a slug barrell and 2x scope for the same money as the 870 express alone so I went with the Mossberg. After a few outings I have no complaints.
    ________
    BMW R69S

Last edited:

jaywade

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Leesburg, VA
    the rem 870 or the mossberg 500 or 590 are fine guns that will suit you no matter if you are a hunter a sportsman or intrested in protecting your family the mossberg is a little cheaper but both are used by our troops and police all over....

nobones

Dec 2, 2009
    Calvert
    Ive owned my 870 EXP for over 15 years. Agreed a great gun without fail. I more enjoy an over/under a bit more for clays. But for everything else i trust in my 870.

Tractor Boy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 8, 2008
    Severn/Greenbelt/Iraq
    stick with Remy's...... Mossburg is cheaper for a reason, 38,000 shells through my 1100 and not a problem, bought a barely used Mossy 500 with less than 500 through it and the shell kicker flew out, so far I have fixed a few more Mossy's than Remy's

if you wanna start out on the lower budget end buy a Remington 870, or a used Stevens, usually you can pick them up for less than $200 shipped, I also have a few of them if you want to try a few different types of shotguns out

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom