• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I always felt that a lever action 357 paired with a 357 revolver and a 12 gauge coach gun would be a good all around set up.

Amen. I can attest to the killing power of the 357 on deer and groundhogs. Plus it’s damn fun to have a lever gun that shoots 38 special. Basically no recoil.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Another idea for you if you want something a little more traditional in appearance but still capable; a Ruger Mini-30. Semi-auto, 7.62x39. Accurate enough to bag deer. Still capable of taking 20 and 30 rd mags for defensive use. Affordable ammo for range use.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The M-94 doesn't lend itself to being scoped and at some point, I think we all will want to use an optic. Not only due to aging eyes, but there have also been at least three or four times that having a scope on a deer rifle allowed me to pick a spike out of a pack of does in a 'buck only' area and not go home empty handed. The equivalent Marlin, the M-336, has a drilled/tapped receiver, but it starts out heavier and then putting a scope on it kills the cheek weld and fast handling.

A hunting weight bolt gun in .308/7.62x51 is missing from your tool kit.

And/or, as EngineerBrian suggests, a deer-caliber upper for your AR. Two points though:
    1) Carrying an AR platform in the deer woods is a PIA, due to the balance point and sharp corners. I have carried AR-15s. AR-10s and a wide assortment of bolt guns and would not bother hunting with an AR again. The bolt gun is generally much more comfortable to carry.

2) Unless one who already uses .223/5.56 AR-15s has REAL plans to suppress it, I'd suggest that the .300BO upper is an unnecessary hazard. Firing a .300BO in a .223 can be done, has been done, and is catastrophic. Precautions to keep rifles and ammo properly segregated is crucial.

The 6.5 CM and other specialty calibers:
    A 6.5 CM and similar cartridges can be very effective hunting rounds (at almost any reasonable distance) and quite useful, *IF* chambered in a useful rifle.

The great popularity of long range rifles in very effective long range calibers right now belies the fact that it is getting increasingly hard to find a place to shoot it. Most people are limited to distances where a big, heavy target/tactical rifle is a waste. Few things are as boring as a 1,000 yard rifle at 200 yards. A recurring comment among former long range precision students was that they never shot their long range stuff any more due to lack of venue. About the only thing harder to find a place to shoot is a .50BMG.
    Thanks for the explanation. Wes got me a great deal on an AR-10 in 6.5CM. Gonna get a bolt gun in the same caliber, since I’m “committed”.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Your SN is Mike444 so why not get a Marlin 444?

You'll be able to take any big game on the North American continent.

Plus it gives you a reason to get a 44 Mag Wheel Gun and Lever action as companion guns. Also, lest we forget, same bullet all your reloads.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Ruger American Standard chambered in .308. Inexpensive, so no concerns if you scuff it up in the woods. You already have the AR-15 and two 12ga shotguns for SHTF. You can buy an AR-10 later if you want another .308 rig.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    You can always hunt deer with the 870 Express and a scoped rifled barrel, mine is good out to 100yds. If it were me I'd get a .308 bolt gun or a .308 semi auto, but not a AR10, unless you want one that is.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Another idea for you if you want something a little more traditional in appearance but still capable; a Ruger Mini-30. Semi-auto, 7.62x39. Accurate enough to bag deer. Still capable of taking 20 and 30 rd mags for defensive use. Affordable ammo for range use.

If you already have a mini 30 for SD, Ruger offers the American that takes the Mini mags in a bolt action platform for improved accuracy for the 7.62x39 that is equivalent to the 30-30. I'd use a 5 rnd mag for deer.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    10-22...if SHTF, and facing superior numbers, you'll need suppressive fire. People won't attempt to figure out how lethal the cartridge is as it zips past their heads, they'll tend to just run for cover, perhpas giving you enough opportunity to live to fight another day. One can easily carry 1K rounds of .22, unlike most other cartridges. Plus it's a good all-around small game hunting cartridge.

Just my $0.02

Just the sound alone of a 10/22 will send them running for the hills.....not to
    mention the tremendous kinetic energy of that caliber will have a devastating effect.

:sarcasm:

But any gun is better than no gun. And, it is semi-auto. :thumbsup:

Like so many of these threads, we are not considering the OP's #1 post.
    He wants a viable, all around hunting carbine/rifle in a serious caliber.

Mike444

About to be a CZ guy
    Dec 30, 2012
    Parkton
    Just the sound alone of a 10/22 will send them running for the hills.....not to
    mention the tremendous kinetic energy of that caliber will have a devastating effect.

:sarcasm:

But any gun is better than no gun. And, it is semi-auto. :thumbsup:

Like so many of these threads, we are not considering the OP's #1 post.
    He wants a viable, all around hunting carbine/rifle in a serious caliber.

Correct

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    This is probably a non-starter of a suggestion as the ammunition isn't the most available in most stores...but actually is quite well available through online sources as I just picked up a couple of boxes that way with a pretty fair amount of choices...but a good rifle in 6.5x55 Swede is a great all around caliber. It has moderate recoil...inherently accurate...will handle medium sized game...other than lack of ammunition commonality with other possibilities it has a lot going for it within its performance envelope.

I have a CZ with a Mannlicher stock and it's an excellent rifle.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    my opinion

first ask yourself what do you need it for? long range? suppressed? deer hunting? another rifle?

sounds like you are pretty well stocked to me. You can easily hunt with the .223 AR and the right ammo.

I would caution against oddball calibers unless you have a need for them. Shooting at 900 yards? By all means, get a 6.5. But if not, what's the point? A .223 will kill a deer fine and won't be a drain on your bank account. I've dabbled in oddball calibers...not worth the money unless you need it for long range shooting where .223 is not capable. And I must add to that, .223 can be capable at surprisingly longer ranges than you think. So a scoped AR can fill that role too.

Sirex