Which range do you prefer in the Annapolis area?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Can anyone explain the "cool down" period to an out-of-stater? My wife's uncle took me to On Target shortly after moving here. We walked in with our range bags with pistols stored away. They made him open up the bag and when they went to check the chamber they loaded a round from the magazine. The guy behind the counter shouted "Whoa!", set the pistol down and he backed away quickly. We were then informed that we couldn't shoot there for 24 hours in order to "cool down"

He asked to speak to management and they confirmed it was store policy. He tried to explain that the pistol wasn't loaded until THEY chambered it and his reply was "Well, it's our store and it is our policy".

I have never stepped foot back in there and I will never be a patron to a place like that.

As you stated, that would be On Target's store policy. There is nothing in the law that requires a "cool down" period in that case. No clue why they even call it a "cool down" period. Should just be a 24 hour Darwin Award that prevents you from shooting there. End of the day, the employee was an IDIOT for racking the slide BEFORE dropping the mag.

It is NOT illegal to have a mag full of cartridges. However, it IS illegal to transport a handgun with a loaded mag inserted in the handgun.

There are a lot of issues with this one on both sides of it.

Americus

Feb 9, 2013
    On target isn't impressive. They ripped off my friend with a 25% restocking fee, and when I went there, I wished I had brought a floodlight as I could barely see the damn targets in the dim light.

Celeckt Fyre... not even gonna go there

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    On target isn't impressive. They ripped off my friend with a 25% restocking fee, and when I went there, I wished I had brought a floodlight as I could barely see the damn targets in the dim light.

Celeckt Fyre... not even gonna go there
    When it comes to indoor ranges, I'm not really impressed anywhere I go. Punching holes in paper is flat-out boring compared to how we used to go out and shoot when I was growing up in Nebraska. My Dad had a range set up on a relative's property about a mile and a half out of town. On that range we had:

Steel disk targets on stands
    A big "gong" made from a tractor disk hanging from chains - this was fun to shoot with the full-autos
    A stand for paper targets
    A benchrest at a measured 100 yards
    silhouette steel targets that would fall down with a shot that was anything above center mass. They were on hinges, and you could pull all of them back up at once with a rope.

And that was just if we wanted to go the range. There were a couple of prairie dog towns too.

And then if we wanted to, there were a couple of other places we could go to shoot bluerocks/clay pigeons - nothing fancy, just using a hand thrower, but still a lot of fun.

Needless to say, even the best of the indoor ranges are a bit underwhelming to me.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    LOL. I think the service is too busy these days retrieving ammo from their hookers to sling lead in the food court.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk.

longgunnewb

Textbook Libertarian
    Feb 23, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Are you saying they loaded a mag, inserted the mag and racked the slide?

If you had a loaded mag in the pistol when you came in the door, you had a "loaded gun". If you had a loaded mag in the pistol in the vehicle, you were in violation of not only range policy, but law as well.

As you stated, that would be On Target's store policy. There is nothing in the law that requires a "cool down" period in that case. No clue why they even call it a "cool down" period. Should just be a 24 hour Darwin Award that prevents you from shooting there. End of the day, the employee was an IDIOT for racking the slide BEFORE dropping the mag.

It is NOT illegal to have a mag full of cartridges. However, it IS illegal to transport a handgun with a loaded mag inserted in the handgun.

There are a lot of issues with this one on both sides of it.

He forgot the magazine was in the pistol and when they asked to inspect the pistol he handed the bag over to them. The employee racked the slide without dropping the magazine which loaded the chamber. Sure, he unknowingly broke the law which he would have had to deal with if caught but things happen and for the employee to act in that way was absolutely ridiculous.

Also, for the "manager" to back the employee over what happened was stupid IMO. Yes, proper safety is a concern for the owner of OT as well as the management so they have to be strict on certain things. However there are certain times in which you need to take a step back and look at the big picture.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    If I were the owner, it would probably be a permanent ban. (But then again, I would allow loaded magazines separate from guns, too.)

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    When it comes to indoor ranges, I'm not really impressed anywhere I go. Punching holes in paper is flat-out boring compared to how we used to go out and shoot when I was growing up in Nebraska. My Dad had a range set up on a relative's property about a mile and a half out of town. On that range we had:

Steel disk targets on stands
    A big "gong" made from a tractor disk hanging from chains - this was fun to shoot with the full-autos
    A stand for paper targets
    A benchrest at a measured 100 yards
    silhouette steel targets that would fall down with a shot that was anything above center mass. They were on hinges, and you could pull all of them back up at once with a rope.

And that was just if we wanted to go the range. There were a couple of prairie dog towns too.

And then if we wanted to, there were a couple of other places we could go to shoot bluerocks/clay pigeons - nothing fancy, just using a hand thrower, but still a lot of fun.

Needless to say, even the best of the indoor ranges are a bit underwhelming to me.

Yes all of this but ground hogs replacing the prairie dogs.
    On Target, good experience but no AC in the summer.
    MSAR, didn't shoot there but people were pretty good to deal with.

If the cold weather keeps up On Target it is.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

The Naval Academy has a REALLY nice 500 yard range...

BUT unfortunately, it's not open to tax paying citizens...

My USMC unit qualified there for 5 years back in the early 60's...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom