• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'd go with an 18" barrel. There's a reason why anyone who is anyone in 3-Gun runs an 18" barrel. And why the US Navy chose the 18" barrel for its SPR. I've run a 3-Gun match with a 20", 18", and 14.5" AR. The 20" is too much, the 14.5" is not enough, the 18" was just right. I can run the gamut of available .223 and 5.56 ammo in it, except the 80gr stuff, but that's for a different discussion.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I'd go with an 18" barrel. There's a reason why anyone who is anyone in 3-Gun runs an 18" barrel. And why the US Navy chose the 18" barrel for its SPR. I've run a 3-Gun match with a 20", 18", and 14.5" AR. The 20" is too much, the 14.5" is not enough, the 18" was just right. I can run the gamut of available .223 and 5.56 ammo in it, except the 80gr stuff, but that's for a different discussion.

At first, I thought I wanted the 18" but now I can't make my mind up between it and the 16". I already own a 16" with a 1x4 but I want to build something for a little bit more magnification. Besides the added velocity (I believe it's about 150-200 FPS) what other advantages does the 18" have over the 16". I already know what the advantages the 16" has over the 18".

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    2" on an ar-15 barrel isn't gonna net you 200fps...not even close. I promise. ;)

Okay cool....So what you thinking? 100 FPS? Maybe?

In your opinion, what do you think I should go with? 16" or 18"? I am looking to put maybe a 3x9 or getting another 1x4.

Even thought I have another 16" with a 1x4, I am building this current one to be a little more accurate. I feel as if I've taken my CHF barrel to it's limit in terms of accuracy and can't help but think, I can get a little more accuracy out of an SS barrel.

By the way, I'll probably never take this rifle beyond 300 yards however, I want to potentially make it my main for SHTF which is why I'm leaning more towards 16".

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Okay cool....So what you thinking? 100 FPS? Maybe?

At the most.

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/to...ory-ammo-test-barrel-length-vs-velocity-loss/

I went 18" for an SPR-ish build, but I wanted an 18" barrel. I have a black hole 16" heavy on the way (farkin UPS "late trailer" ********, shoulda been here thursday), and anticipate both will shoot nearly identical groups out to 300. a TINY bit more drop with the 16", but won't really be noticeable.

Also looking at (hopefully) doing something in 24" flavor for prairie dogs this summer (have a .17HMR for 200 yards and in; figure a 24" AR-15 with 52 AMAX or similar will get me out as far as I'm comfortable shooting at a pdog). That's the beauty of the AR platform. Build one upper, see how it does, then build another and compare 'em. If you're short on room, weigh your options, and keep the one you like most, and sell the other to fund a new build. :D

For your stated intentions, I'd probably go 16" as well. It looks like Surplus Ammo is still doing the free stripped upper with a BHW barrel; the 16" mid-length stainless is what I went with. They also offer a carbine-gas 16" hbar profile, for a few bucks more.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    Mark at Precision Firearms. (precisionfirearms.com) can build you the upper you want. He does a great job and built me an upper that does just what you described.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    At the most.

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/to...ory-ammo-test-barrel-length-vs-velocity-loss/

I went 18" for an SPR-ish build, but I wanted an 18" barrel. I have a black hole 16" heavy on the way (farkin UPS "late trailer" ********, shoulda been here thursday), and anticipate both will shoot nearly identical groups out to 300. a TINY bit more drop with the 16", but won't really be noticeable.

Also looking at (hopefully) doing something in 24" flavor for prairie dogs this summer (have a .17HMR for 200 yards and in; figure a 24" AR-15 with 52 AMAX or similar will get me out as far as I'm comfortable shooting at a pdog). That's the beauty of the AR platform. Build one upper, see how it does, then build another and compare 'em. If you're short on room, weigh your options, and keep the one you like most, and sell the other to fund a new build. :D

For your stated intentions, I'd probably go 16" as well. It looks like Surplus Ammo is still doing the free stripped upper with a BHW barrel; the 16" mid-length stainless is what I went with. They also offer a carbine-gas 16" hbar profile, for a few bucks more.

Sounds good.... I looked at the Blackhole barrels at Surplus Ammo and almost bought a 16" SS mid but I ended up not pulling the trigger. I was looking for a lighter profile and all I saw in Stock were HBAR 's. I believe they weighed over 2 pounds.

Speaking of barrel weight, do you by any chance know much the BCM Stainless 16" barrel weighs? I didn't see it listed on their sight but remember reading somewhere that it was 28 ounces.

Sent with a Gen 2 Nexus 7

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    No idea; I plan on doing an upper with either a DD or BCM 14.5" CHF lightweight profile, Battlecomp 1.5 pinned, and the BCM lightweight keymod setup, just to see how handy it'll be. I'm guessing somewhere between "very" and "holy ****ing shit". :D

DD's 14.5" LW does seem to be a bit less expensive than the BCM; brownell's says 1.47 lbs on the 14.5" DD, and 1.57 on the 16" DD.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    BCM's "standard" 14.5 middy LW profile (non hammer forged) is 21 ounces, per the bottom of this thread:

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=542268

judging by other things i've read, assume 3-4 ounces more for the BFH version, so more or less the same as the DD, plus or minus half an ounce. I would be willing to bet that the 16" version is a similar relation to the DD's weight. looks like I'll probably go with daniel defense, since it's about 30-40 bucks cheaper thru brownell's with my C&R discount.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    No idea; I plan on doing an upper with either a DD or BCM 14.5" CHF lightweight profile, Battlecomp 1.5 pinned, and the BCM lightweight keymod setup, just to see how handy it'll be. I'm guessing somewhere between "very" and "holy ****ing shit". :D

DD's 14.5" LW does seem to be a bit less expensive than the BCM; brownell's says 1.47 lbs on the 14.5" DD, and 1.57 on the 16" DD.

Years, that's going to be light as hell. Definitely going to need a comp on that too keep her tame.

I'll probably be going with BCM 's new rail on the Stainless barrel build in order to offset the added weight from the SS barrel.

Sent with a Gen 2 Nexus 7

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I'm really having a hard time deciding on 16" barrel, or longer guys. I DO want to shoot this out to longer ranges, so more velocity would indeed be nice.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I really like the looks of the BCM 20" upper group, mated with their BCG. It might be what I order next if I don't order their 14.5" LW first. I'm inclined to think you'll get more than good enough accuracy out of it with 5.56mm match-grade ammo (62gr and up). Yeah, there's no floating rail. It's old school. But the price is right. And I think the savings is better spent on good ammo and plenty of practice than anything tacticool.

If the goal is guaranteed top-shelf accuracy, say 0.5 MOA, without a ton of weight, then you're probably better off budget-wise with a precision .308 bolt rifle from Remington or Savage.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    The heck with that. Just build a 6.8 SPC II. SSA has a new LR load based on a 140g Berger match VLD bullet at 2401 FPS (16") that stays supersonic out to 1000+ yards. Just requires an SPC II chamber and barrel and PRI mags speced for 2.300" OAL.
    If you want a .223 for varmints think Mossberg MVP bolt gun w/24" barrel. Uses AR mags like PMags/Lancer all day.

spfrazierjr

Mar 1, 2013
    If it were me, I would most definitely build the upper instead of buying one. Most likely i would base it off of an 18 inch SS threaded barrel with rifle length gas system. That is just my opinion.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    I'm really having a hard time deciding on 16" barrel, or longer guys. I DO want to shoot this out to longer ranges, so more velocity would indeed be nice.

Then 20" may be your minimum. Not as unweildy as a 24" but faster velocity than a 16 will get you. Standard rifle length barrels are more handy than some people remember. We've just been spoiled with the M4 for so long we've forgotten. ;)

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I really like the looks of the BCM 20" upper group, mated with their BCG. It might be what I order next if I don't order their 14.5" LW first. I'm inclined to think you'll get more than good enough accuracy out of it with 5.56mm match-grade ammo (62gr and up). Yeah, there's no floating rail. It's old school. But the price is right. And I think the savings is better spent on good ammo and plenty of practice than anything tacticool.

If the goal is guaranteed top-shelf accuracy, say 0.5 MOA, without a ton of weight, then you're probably better off budget-wise with a precision .308 bolt rifle from Remington or Savage.

Their 20" upper is no more accurate than their 16" upper all things being equal with the barrel. You'll just have more velocity to work with.

I agree on not spending money on Tacticool Crap as well....I just don't classify floating tubes in the Tacticool category.

Personally, my goal isn't just top shelf accuracy or .5 MOA. My goal is top shelf accuracy on a Battle Rifle that is capable of filling many roles. Many more than any of my bolt action rifles.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Just to put it out there, match grade doesn't rely on bullet weight. Sierra and Hornady both make match bullets in the 52-53 grain range that shoot impressively well. There's also a lot of shitty bullets in heavier weights.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    I built two uppers using Wilson 16" 1:7 fluted stainless barrels with mid length gas that are shooting just fine at 100 and 200 yards with 55gr FMJBT (cheap factory crap ammo, maybe 1.5-2 MOA benched, might also be me getting used to EoTech and ACOG sights for some of that inaccuracy) and 75gr HPBT (Hornady handloads <1 MOA benched). Are they as good as my 20" 1:7 WOP upper with Satern barrel? Nope. Can they shoot better than most people? Yep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom