• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZHammer

Pythonidae Fan
    Jul 5, 2009
    Bel Air, Md.
    ...and why?

If you were considering between a Colt LE6920 and a Colt AR6721, what would be your reasons for one over the other? Which factors would help make your decision for your use?

...weight
    ...twist rate
    ...???

Care to leave any input?
    Thanks!

:patriot:

gibby

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Bel Air, MD
    AR6721, has an HBAR, no pistol paper work.

LE6920 - Pistol paperwork

Depending on the grain weight of the ammo that you are going to use. Twist might be a issue.

Why Colt?

ZHammer

Pythonidae Fan
    Jul 5, 2009
    Bel Air, Md.
    I'm not pushing the Colt bar here. Just have happened to have recent conversations with some folks who happen to have Colts and each has the 6920. Just wondering if it's the M4'gery type look, lighter weight or what. They're all somewhat younger than me and my take with these guys is it's about looks not performance. Who knows! I don't have any 16" AR's myself. Just curious for those out there who have these.
    Not here to offend anyone. Thanks guys!

Andras

Aug 12, 2008
    Charles Co.
    Since I don't have Colt product numbers memorized, I can't help you. A short written description of the two choices would help.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    http://www.colt.com/law/ar15a3.asp
    http://www.colt.com/law/lecarbine.asp

u talking about these two? looks like one's a heavy barrel with 1/9 twist and the LE is milspec barrel with 1/7 twist. 1/9 is a good twist rate for stabilizing everything but the longest(tracers) bullets. if you're shooting heavy 70+ gr bullets you're probably getting a longer barrel for precision shooting anyway. either twist is fine for 55 gr or gr's in the 60's which are the most common loads for 5.56 or .223. sooo either twist is fine.

the heavy barrel seems to be about the only difference besides twist rate. it means no waiting time and no state paperwork to fill out, only a 4473..which is nice. it also means less whipping from the barrel and less prone to shift poi if you're putting different pressures on the forend when shooting from different positions. it will probably not cool down as fast though and you may need to take a break from time to time at the range to allow it to cool down enough to limit the mirage effect through a scope.

personally i'd just go with the heavy barrel for accuracy and less paperwork...plus i'm impatient and don't like waiting a week for something i've already paid for. colt's are made very very well and you should be happy with either one.

ZHammer

Pythonidae Fan
    Jul 5, 2009
    Bel Air, Md.
    http://www.colt.com/law/ar15a3.asp
    http://www.colt.com/law/lecarbine.asp

u talking about these two? looks like one's a heavy barrel with 1/9 twist and the LE is milspec barrel with 1/7 twist. 1/9 is a good twist rate for stabilizing everything but the longest(tracers) bullets. if you're shooting heavy 70+ gr bullets you're probably getting a longer barrel for precision shooting anyway. either twist is fine for 55 gr or gr's in the 60's which are the most common loads for 5.56 or .223. sooo either twist is fine.

the heavy barrel seems to be about the only difference besides twist rate. it means no waiting time and no state paperwork to fill out, only a 4473..which is nice. it also means less whipping from the barrel and less prone to shift poi if you're putting different pressures on the forend when shooting from different positions. it will probably not cool down as fast though and you may need to take a break from time to time at the range to allow it to cool down enough to limit the mirage effect through a scope.

personally i'd just go with the heavy barrel for accuracy and less paperwork...plus i'm impatient and don't like waiting a week for something i've already paid for. colt's are made very very well and you should be happy with either one.

...I have the same opinion as you regarding these two variations...:thumbsup:

Exactly. Why Colt? You a fan of wierd bolt carriers, odd pin sizes and sear blocks?

...no, not exactly...just in conversation with some individuals who own the LE6920 I asked them why they made that choice. My opinion based on their answer(s) given, lead me to believe they bought their guns based more on the barrel profile look, "there cool looking" they said..."maybe someday I could get a launcher"...
    I asked them did they consider the AR6721 based on the same info. that smokey0118 has listed in the above quote if they were looking at Colts...stating it probably would be my choice between the two...
    ..."no, we bought what was available and just wanna shoot man!"...

Just figured I would receive more insightful information here on the forum...I just have noticed more of the 6920 platform ever advertised for sale rather than the 6721...just curious, sorry if I left the impression that I may be in the market for one...

...anyway, it's all good, thanks to those who responded...:thumbsup:

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
      attachment.jpg
      49.1 KB · Views: 322

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    As for the OP, I was faced with the same decistion as you. I wanted a Colt for their obvious superiority to all other ARs on the market :poke:, and my local dealer carried the same two models that you are asking about. I ended up getting a 6920 primarily because of the weight (the 6920 is almost a full 1.5lbs lighter), and I wanted to own the absolute closest rifle to an actual M4 that a civilian can own (short of going NFA and $$$$$). I didn't even take into consideration twist rate, etc.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Go with the 6920
    standard pins, Colt quality and reputation, M4 handguards, m4 step cut bbl.
    Better resale value just in case you change your mind. Plus its a real Colt

Attachments

• DSCN3124.jpg
      DSCN3124.jpg
      71.6 KB · Views: 249

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Here is my 6920. Simple in comparison to the one above, but far and away the best AR that I own. My go-to rifle.

Attachments

• AR-LE6920-R.jpg
      AR-LE6920-R.jpg
      38.8 KB · Views: 372

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    ZHammer;468357 "[b said:
    there cool looking" they said..."maybe someday I could get a launcher"[/b]...

Oh lord... :sad20:
    I can hear it now...

"Hey doodz! I just scored an M203 grenade launcher for my AR off FleaBay! Now I'm uber-kewel and you're not!"
    "Anybody know where I can score some HE roundz for this thing?" :party29:

ZHammer

Pythonidae Fan
    Jul 5, 2009
    Bel Air, Md.
    Thanks guys for your input...
    Never any dull comments here...

DD214...nice graphic...I may have to use it myself sometime if you don't mind.

Maxx

Apr 4, 2009
    I own a Colt Match Target and a Bushmaster ORC and the quality of the Bushie is, IMO, as good as the Colt and some cases better. I had to purchase a spacer to previent the Colt's upper and lower from moving around too much, not a big deal, but still some thing the Bushie doesn't need... at least for the moment.

I too would purchase the AR because of the cash n carry aspect of it, and will be easier to sell down the road if the need be.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    ...no, not exactly...just in conversation with some individuals who own the LE6920 I asked them why they made that choice. My opinion based on their answer(s) given, lead me to believe they bought their guns based more on the barrel profile look, "there cool looking" they said..."maybe someday I could get a launcher"...:innocent0

...anyway, it's all good, thanks to those who responded...:thumbsup:

:patriot:[/QUOTE]

I really don't know what He's talking about... Launcher? What launcher?:innocent0

Attachments

• DSCN3372.jpg
      DSCN3372.jpg
      50 KB · Views: 133

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom