• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Here are my two pistol home defense options. I will only keep one loaded and ready to go for home defense purposes. Tell me which one you would use and why. Thanks!

Option #1 Beretta 96 .40 cal with 12 +1 capacity :gun2:

-or-

Option #2 Smith & Wesson M&P 9 mm with 17+1 capacity :gun3:

:shrug:

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    S&W w/ 124+p HST's or 124+p Gold Dot's

That is after you run atleast 100rds of you defensive load through it to verify function.

I just like capacity

GunnyHwy

Oct 18, 2007
    Howard County
    S&W w/ 124+p HST's or 124+p Gold Dot's

That is after you run atleast 100rds of you defensive load through it to verify function.

I just like capacity

+1! Also the 9mm allows for faster target aquisition after the first shot. You can put a light or laser on the rail of the M&P too.

baddevildog82

May 2, 2008
    Arbutus
    Especially if you are rolling out of bed to defend yourself, you may want the extra rounds to make up for the time it takes to shake the cobwebs off.

txiyo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2008
    M&P for all the reasons above, more shots off, etc.

But the single actions fit anywhere and don't have a stupid hammer that gets hung up on stuff. The M&P also let's you grip the gun higher and retain it better. Although the M&P does not have as many hard surfaces, it should be better for pistol whipping too.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    +1 what jeep said. safety margin from extra capacity.

assuming both weapons are equally comfortable and automatic to your hand and reflexes.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Wow, I'm surprised. Just always figured 12 rounds of 40 tops 17 rounds of 9, but I guess times have changed. Back when I bought the Beretta 15 years ago everyone said the .40 was a much better and more potent round than the 9mm.

My plan is to get a crimson trace or other type of laser for either the beretta or M&P. I just figured most would choose the .40 for added stopping power but I didn't take into account the capacity issue. Guess I just figured 12 rounds is enough. But I guess it's one of those situations where you can't have too much, only too little.

Still kind of torn because I completely trust that Beretta. It has never once jammed in all the years I've had it and it's extremely accurate. I'll have to get the M&P out to the range a few times before I build up that level of trust with it.

The lack of a manual safety and hammer may make me lean toward the M&P like Marknakasone says. But as mikec pointed out, I'm definitely better with the Beretta at the moment due to familiarity and I don't know that there is a more reliable gun out there than the 92/96 series.

Thanks for the informative responses!

baddevildog82

May 2, 2008
    Arbutus
    If you are more comfortable with the Beretta, then use it! The way you asked the question made me assume that you were comfortable with both. If you haven't addequately tested the M&P, or any gun for that matter, you shouldn't use it for your home deffense. 12 reliable, trusted rounds is always better than 17 unreliable or untested rounds.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    If you are more comfortable with the Beretta, then use it! The way you asked the question made me assume that you were comfortable with both. If you haven't addequately tested the M&P, or any gun for that matter, you shouldn't use it for your home deffense. 12 reliable, trusted rounds is always better than 17 unreliable or untested rounds.

I actually pick up the M&P from CorsicaCoatings today. I expect to get comfortable with it quickly. I have about 300 rounds ready to go for a range visit next week. ;)

Mike

I would go with the smiff for some of the above reasons AND because you can slip a surefire X200 on the accessory rail. Very important to accessorize with a flashlight for home defense as you will likely have to use it at night.

Tell Joe and Jim that I said hi when you get your smiff.

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    I say .40!

I would prefer the .40 due to the larger diameter bullet all things considered..The Maryland State Police have used that same pistol basically for years...good enuf endorsement for me.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    found this. interesting read on handgun wound ballistics...
    http://www.pgpft.com/hgwfe.htm

I guess this is the money statement:

Given desirable and reliable penetration, the only way to increase bullet effectiveness is to increase the severity of the wound by increasing the size of hole made by the bullet. Any bullet which will not penetrate through vital organs from less than optimal angles is not acceptable. Of those that will penetrate, the edge is always with the bigger bullet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom