• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    why don't you at least make it entertaining and compare a properly loaded 7.62x25 and 9x18. By properly loaded, im talkin hollowpoint in both.

arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Just trying to decide on another pistol. A Nagant or a Mak that is all. Do not want a pistol that is weak though. Bud

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    My reloading book shows 9mm Mak as being ballistically indiscernible from 9mm Kurz (.380).

A lot of poor Russians died at the business end of these guns.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    why don't you at least make it entertaining and compare a properly loaded 7.62x25 and 9x18. By properly loaded, im talkin hollowpoint in both.

I assume you mean the Nagant. The 7.62x25 is the Tokarev which is a very high powered handgun cartridge. The two aren't even close, that would be like comparing the 30'06 to the 7.62x39. Hollow points aren't really going to affect muzzle velocity or ft pounds of energy, a comparative bullet weight would be a better test.

I have an older Makarov, like most Soviet era items, the execution of the manufacturing process was very poor and the quality of machining is reflects that issue.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I have no doubt the Nagant "could" be used as a defensive pistol, but it would be my last resort pistol. Hell, you'd have to be in a fight or flight mode anyways to have enough adrenaline to pull that heavy trigger on target. The Nagant is pretty neat because;
    1. It's an old Russian revolver
    2. Has a gas seal cylinder and some have been suppressed.
    3. Makes a pretty cool companion to a Mosin Nagant rifle
    4. Like the Mosin NAGANT, cheap to buy.

It sucks because,
    1. Ammo, even new, is expensive. The old stuff is dirty.
    2. Even the .32 longs seem pretty weak. Everything I've read about the .32S&W longs report they don't have enough power/velocity to expand the rare HPs, and recommend using wadcutters and round noses.
    3. The Trigger
    4. It's fairly heavy.
    5. I don't like the sights (what sights? :) )
    6. If you shoot .32s, some reportr lead deposits binding the mechanism.

I really would like to see some ballistic gel test of the Nagant revolver, just for curiosities sake. If you are really tight and only have a couple bucks to spend, maybe a HiPoint 9mm or .45ACP, or something else until you can purchase a nicer gun. Otherwise, the 9x18. Like the .22lr argument about it's defensive capabilities, it may suprise us, but I'm not willing to bet my life on a Nagant.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County

7.62x25 should beat 9x18 easily, shouldn't it? Similar bullet weights, and the 7.62 has a much higher muzzle velocity, and better ballistics. Not sure on the terminal effects of both rounds though, the Tok might be TOO fast, and not dump enough energy into the target.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    The Nagant is a weak round... but you can suppress it and it is subsonic to begin with. Is it deadly, sure, sneak up with silencer and shoot 7 rounds in the head... I'm willing to bet it will kill, and do so quietly.

For a self-defense round, no doubt the Mak has a lot more punch.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I assume you mean the Nagant. The 7.62x25 is the Tokarev which is a very high powered handgun cartridge. The two aren't even close, that would be like comparing the 30'06 to the 7.62x39. Hollow points aren't really going to affect muzzle velocity or ft pounds of energy, a comparative bullet weight would be a better test.

I have an older Makarov, like most Soviet era items, the execution of the manufacturing process was very poor and the quality of machining is reflects that issue.

I'm aware....here's my 52...
    cz52.jpg

yes the tok ammo is high powered...but it's also a small diameter. The 7.62 nagant is both small AND underpowered. The 9x18 mak is a larger hole, but underpowered compared to the tok. Handguns wound with their permanent crush cavity. Therefore, a better comparison to me would be to look at a smaller hole that penetrates better vs a larger hole that penetrates more shallow. Or, hp in the tok ammo vs wadcutter in the mak.

A good defensive loading in tok would be a 100 gr xtp. Loaded to 1550 fps, it penetrates to 13.9" and expands to .5"

A good defensive loading in mak would be the hp 115 gr silver bear running around 1020 fps and getting ~11.5" penetration at .6 expansion.

soooo, you've got two loadings where one has more penetration and one's got more expansion. The nagant loadings are pretty weak in comparison.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    7.62x25 should beat 9x18 easily, shouldn't it? Similar bullet weights, and the 7.62 has a much higher muzzle velocity, and better ballistics. Not sure on the terminal effects of both rounds though, the Tok might be TOO fast, and not dump enough energy into the target.

"energy dump" doesn't do anything. Handguns energy is like getting hit with a fastball. The wounding mechanism is the permanent crush cavity. The 7.62 is smaller, making a smaller crush cavity. The 9x18 is bigger, making a bigger crush cavity. If you're just talking fmj, both should be able to punch a hole completely through someone...so, bigger hole wins. If you're looking at good defensive loadings...they're slightly different as shown above.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I use buffallo bore flat nosed in my 9x18 P-64. HP ammo will not reliably expand in this round.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S 2 using Tapatalk

what would the difference be between a flat-nosed projectile and an unexpanded HP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom