• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    OK,
    Which would make a better shooter (inherently) for 100 yds off a bench?
    M38, M44 or 91/30?
    (taking into consideration each had the same wear on the crown and barrel)

Lets factor in all the work in accurizing (or maybe factor that in). My thought would be an Carbine because you can easily float the barrel on it after some work where the 91/30 needs the contact on the front of the handguard for accurizing.

The other factor I'd like to ask is the carbine (once you float the barrel) with the shorter barrel going to be less susceptible to barrel heating up?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    The longer barrel will be inherently more accurate. That said the accuracy of Mosins varies wildly. They were only intended to be minute of kraut torso at 100yds when they made them. Neither will be MOA rifles without hand loaded ammo. Personally I think the M44 is more fun; it's louder and makes a big flash.

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    The longer barrel will be inherently more accurate. That said the accuracy of Mosins varies wildly. They were only intended to be minute of kraut torso at 100yds when they made them. Neither will be MOA rifles without hand loaded ammo. Personally I think the M44 is more fun; it's louder and makes a big flash.

it will also make your shoulder black/blue faster

damosan

Feb 21, 2009
    I have both -- prefer the M44 because it's shorter and more fun (giant fireballs + expanding shockwave knocking down grass in front of me....). They really don't kick all that hard at all - my vz Mauser kicks much more. I've yet to bruise my shoulder and I'll do 70-80 rounds at a time.

I *have* done 1" groups with both at 50 yards but that's not really a big deal. The groups tend to expand a bit at 100 yards but that's more me and my old eyes. I'd probably do better if I desecrated the rifles and attached a scout scope.

D.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County

I wouldn't necessarily say that longer barrels are inherently more accurate. A shorter barrel is stiffer, and undergoes less barrel whip during firing. (It also tends to handle heat better during extended firing) The longer barrel does impart a higher velocity to the round, which improves ballistics a bit; and it should have a longer sight radius (front to rear sight), which might help with aiming.
    I've never noticed any real accuracy difference between my 1891s and my M44s. But then I'm not that great of a shot either. I agree the M44s are more fun to shoot though. Especially at dusk. :D

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    minute of kraut torso at 100yds

tumblr_lxels9BoVU1qff8too1_r1_400.gif

DennisCA

I have both -- prefer the M44 because it's shorter and more fun (giant fireballs + expanding shockwave knocking down grass in front of me....). They really don't kick all that hard at all - my vz Mauser kicks much more. I've yet to bruise my shoulder and I'll do 70-80 rounds at a time.

I *have* done 1" groups with both at 50 yards but that's not really a big deal. The groups tend to expand a bit at 100 yards but that's more me and my old eyes. I'd probably do better if I desecrated the rifles and attached a scout scope.

D.

Yup = I agree :party29:
    A M44-type gun is def more fun to shoot!
    being that said some 91-30's were turned into sniper rifles and in the right hands (you've seen the movie: "The Enemy at the Gates"?) was deadly!
    The only size that matter to the Russians was the size of a man's chest!

Sirex