• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    .357 sig is a 40 s&w necked down to a 9mm...hence the chambering a 9mm sized projectile into the opening of the chamber that's .40 wide:innocent0

Exactly....

The bottle neck design of the cartridge makes feeding extremely reliable. It is more forgiving in terms of weakened springs, limp-wristing, hollow-points, out of spec mags etc. These conditions usually result in malfunctions in other calibers.

This advantage is also true for other semi- automatic pistols chambered for this cartridge. As an example, a limp-wristed Glock 19 ( 9mm) or Glock 23 ( 40sw) can be induced to have a malfunction ( stovepipe, FTE, FTF) . A Glock 32 chambered for the 357SIG is immune to these issues ( more recoil impulse). The 19, 23 and 32 use the same frames.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The P series in all CF cals are extremely reliable, given a minimal amount of maintance, and vaguely correct shooting technique. No personal experience with Sigpro series, but all rreports indicate at least as good as similar pistols. The 1911s are typical upper middle end 1911s.
    The Mosoquitos have a rep for being ammo sensitive, but (knock on wood) Daughter's has so far been reliable with all ammo used.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    From a design standpoint, a full size 226 firing 357 sig should be the most reliable due to the bottlenecked case, recoil impulse, greater slide momentum, and lower velocity compared to shorter guns with lighter slides. After that, its probably a toss up between the full sized 9mm with it's similar high momentum/low velocity slide and steep taper of the case, and the 232 with it's simplified blow back operation and low feed angle. However there are dozens of factors the assist or detract from reliability, spring rates, ammo used, feed ramp angle and finish, feed angle, extractor tension and fit, chamber specs, slide to frame fit, ability to hold lubrication in critical wear points, etc. In just about every example Sigs are extremely well made and reliable, reguardless of caliber and model, you really can't go wrong with any of them, so the decision comes down to more mundane factors like recoil, desired caliber, cost of gun/ammo, intended use, concealability, capacity and so on, all these have to do with the shooter, the Sig will hold up it's end of the bargain if properly maintained and shot with minimal proficiency.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Something also to consider is what ammo are you using in the gun? There are some of the P6's out there that don't feed JHP's that well, but with ball or the Blitz Action Trauma bullet, they feed 100%. Some of the European PD's still issue that ammo for their guns.

If you take some SIG's and then try to use a lead bullet, you may not get 100% function. Clean the gun and then use ball or a good JHP, 100%.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    MikeC mentioned above the use of BAT ammo. While did see some duty use in Eorope and Latin America once upon a decade, it was difficult to find & expensive in the US 20-25 yrs ago. Nowdays it is serious collector stuff.
    However there is a modern alternative. Absolute reliability in anything that will that will feed FMJ, decent performance in bare gelitin, Excellent consistancy in performance regardless of clothing or intermediaste barrier. AND decent performance in real life. CorBon's PowerBall .
    And while on that theme, the origional Old School. Conventional 9mm 115 JHP from Remington recieved much effort of R&D to closely mimic the feed profile and recoil impulse of 9mm FMJ. In order to feed in nearly any gun that would feed ball . In the origion production expansion was slightly compromised in favor of reliability ( not a slam, the intended goal was 100% in any gun in an era when typical 9mm postol was a military bring back). Recent decades production saw a tweeking of jacket composition, and alloy mix for core , that results in performance comparable to other conventional JHPs.
    We are spoiled by Modern Production full size autopistols designed to be intended to feed ANY defensive ammo. Up until early '80s it was expected to have to carefully test every pistol to see what , if any, jhp would be reliable. If more than one specific load did work , you were bragging about it. It was not uncommon back then to carry a single load in the chamber of particularily good performance, and a lesser, but reliable feeding round, or in extreme cases fmj in the mag.
    As personal example in circa '82 my AMT BackUp .380 had either a SuperVel or Silvertip in the chamber, and R-P or PMC in the mag.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    As personal example in circa '82 my AMT BackUp .380 had either a SuperVel or Silvertip in the chamber, and R-P or PMC in the mag.

My .45ACP Colt Lightweight Commander had a 200gr CCI/Speer "flying ashtray" in the chamber and either Federal or Remington 185Gr JHP's in the mag. I loaded the gun that way after reading an article written by Massad Ayoob and what he carried when he carried a 1911.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Only one I ever had a jam in is my 2022, it missfed alot of UMC ammo when new. But that case of ammo had issues (glock didnt like it either) and the only gun I had that would eat it problem free was my CZ. That combined with break-in adds up.

Sigs are reliable.

That said not sure I have ever bought the necked case feeds better argument.

RipkinC

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2007
    Free America
    p22 for me, close to 5000 rounds later after only a light oiling at about 2500 only problem is my mags are so gunked up I get mag-related ftf sometimes (the rounds are actually stuck down in the mag because the follower was caught 3-times on gunk, bullet never had a chance to feed really). will be soaking all of them soon when I have a few min. Also cleaned the gun about a month or 2 ago, wow, it was BLACK now its the nice "blued" again with a stainless barrel :) had to wash my boorsnake after, it became black too, but the gun still ran fine. (Shot everything from match grade down to the dirtest steal-cased stuff, hard +soft primers etc never a ftf or need for a second pull, every time it went bang, and never jammed except thee mag ftf issue stated)
    the misquito (sp?) 22lr pistol is NOT reliable, its fun, and handy, but not if you need a bed-side/CC d-fence peace. A great starter pistol for non-gunies to try first though!

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    9mm P226, 9mm 2022, 45ACP 220, 9mm P228, 9mm P239, 40S&W P226, 357 Sig P226. I own all of them, and they are all as reliable as any of my other guns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom