• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Ok. As some of you may have seen recently, I was able to get in on a group buy with my nephew's USMC battalion when they came back from Afghanistan; a Colt Anniversary Edition with laser engraving. It's a pretty piece and a damn fine shooter. That said, I don't want to go ruin it by carrying it in a holster so I have decided to get a utility 1911.

That said, there are only 4 requirements: 1. Stainless (personal preference), 2. Beavertail (fat hands get bit), 3. Tac Hammer (preference) 4. The biggie - Price. As I am still paying my nephew for the Colt, money is an issue. As soon as I find my damn 3rd magazine, I will be selling my FNP-9 to help finance this one, so I am trying to keep the OTD cost below $800.

I have been looking at these weapons thus far:

Metro Arms American Classic II (been told better than a RIA)
    Ruger SR1911 (If I can find one at a decent price)
    Remington R1 (MSRP is right at the max I want to spend)
    Taurus PT1911 (last resort - just not aesthetically pleasing to my eye)

I plan to eventually have a smith take a look at it, do a trigger job on it and polish the internals, etc...but after I put a few hundred rounds thru it so I have a benchmark for before & after. I tend to over analyse everything, this time I am going to try and rely on the expertise of the 1911 faithful to suggest solutions/options. I am not a 1911/.45ACP fanboy, but I am keeping an open mind....

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Out of those I prefer the Ruger first (Hard to Find, but its American), next the American Classic in Stainless Steel.

Nothing wrong with the Rem or Taurus but for the Price you cant beat the A.C.

BerBer5985

Apr 3, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I like my RIA 1911 just fine. It's a great gun for the money, worked right out of the box and accurate. I like it. I'm sure I'd buy another down the road.

Atec

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    Maryland
    Have a Glock 20, but was thinking I could slim down the collection if the .45 could be converted over and pull double duty.

I had to filll out my paperwork for the 1911 I had on order . While I was at the shop they had a American Classic in the case. You may want to stop at The Gun Shop in Essex to take a look at it. Other IP's my have one also but I just happened to see it .FYI.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    While the commemorative Colt is pretty cool, it most likely wont be a collector's item in our lifetime. It's a high quality item, why not just shoot it instead of buying a second lesser quality 1911A1?

It will free the $$$ up for another toy like that FNP45 you mentioned....

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Not clear why a .40 would be superior for hunting to a .45? Not an opinion, just a question.

Clandestine - Why do you think the 10mm is superior to the .45 Super?

10mm can do all the .45 Super can and 10mm is readily available.

IMO .45 Super is just another oddball like the .40S&W tryng to do something no one asked for or needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom