Where will I get the best deal on a handgun trade in?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • timkz

Oct 14, 2013
    I have a Glock 17 Gen 4 and would like to trade it in for cash or possibly as partial payment for another firearm. What gun shop or dealer in the central MD area gives you the best deal? I would like to avoid any pawns shops. Thanks.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Now you've gone and done it. The barrage of posts telling you you'll get more from a private sale. To those I'll say maybe someone just doesn't want to be inconvenienced by the whole process and it's worth that LITTLE difference you make.

A&D pawn in Glen Burnie usually has a great selection of new and used guns and will take your trade on the purchase of another gun. I don't think there's any 1 shop out there that will give you considerably more over another place. They have their finger on the pulse of what values are and how much they want/need to make off a trade.
    Unless saving 20 bucks or so over another place reigns supreme to you, then shop it around. You won't get a $100 better deal, that's for sure.
    You'll definitely get less than half of what your gun retailed for. So, unless you really need $200 bucks for that Glock, you're better off keeping it. That is if you still like that particular gun.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In a favorable scenario, and honest gun store will offer 2/3 of used asking retail price. Less favorably 2/3 of used wholesale price.

Not so much a G17 , but with certain guns current excellent wholesale prices on new examples give them very minimal sale / trade in value to a dealer. ( The ones I'm thinking of are decent guns , just ripple effect of bargin distributor pricing.)

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    put it on armslist maryland with the stipulations that all federal and state laws apply to sale.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    The offers you'll get from dealers on a trade are laughable. Price it reasonably and it will sell. I'll give you a good example. I had a S&W Bodyguard .380 w/insite laser, box, manual, and lock all in excellent condition. Paid $425 for it new. I just wanted to trade it and cash for a new Shield .40. Dealer at HoCo gun show last winter didn't even want to look at it at first then he offered me $200 for it. Then I rode up to Cabelas in Delaware a few weeks later to get some other firearms appraised and took the Bodyguard along also. They offered me $150........yes $150 !!

I sold it in a private sale in May for $350.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I was just thinking about this as well. Seems like a private sale would be a huge hassle.

Look at the example just above. The private sale netted the seller $150-200 over a trade-in to a store.

This for a trip to an MSP barracks and another meet-up. How much is your time worth?

99% of the folks here are good to deal with. It's a very minor hassle.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I've only ever done a "trade in" once (old .22 for a new, more modern .22), at Gun Connection, and I thought they gave me a fair price.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Look at the example just above. The private sale netted the seller $150-200 over a trade-in to a store.

This for a trip to an MSP barracks and another meet-up. How much is your time worth?

99% of the folks here are good to deal with. It's a very minor hassle.

Exactly. I met the OP yesterday at Golden Ring MSP. We were there roughly 45 minutes total, mainly due to the trooper being a bit uninformed and quite a bit A-hole-ey. Never had to produce my DC letter in order to get the 77R from them before... :rolleyes:

In 8 days, we'll meet up again and complete the transaction.

We both got a fair deal/price IMO, and it didn't cost us $50 or more to have an FFL hand me the papers to fill out. :thumbsup:

python

Apr 15, 2010
    You'll take a bath on it if you trade it, anywhere, especially because it is a ubiquitous, low priced gun. Sell it yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom