• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I can find the "stop a river" type of sand bags a few places, but not the small kind for stabilizing your rifle. I have the Caldwell pre-formed ones, but I'm looking for plain old bags. I plan to hit the HoCo gun show this (next?) weekend to look around there, but do you guys have any sources?

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    Personally, I purchased pre-made ones. I have bags from Armageddon Gear, TAB, and Wiebad.

If you don't want to buy the premade ones, you can Google empty lead shot bags

You will find the following examples:
    https://www.brownells.com/shooting-...rest-bags/canvas-shooting-bags-prod22434.aspx

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Empty-Canvas-Duck-Cloth-Bag-10_pk/productinfo/SHOTBAG/

You can also take old socks or the legs from a pair of jeans to make your own. You can use duct tape if you can't sew.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I did acquire shot bags which are not that easy to get . I have seen other empty bags and they are rather expensive .

I had a friend from another gun forum sent me 3

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Personally, I purchased pre-made ones. I have bags from Armageddon Gear, TAB, and Wiebad.

If you don't want to buy the premade ones, you can Google empty lead shot bags

You will find the following examples:
    https://www.brownells.com/shooting-...rest-bags/canvas-shooting-bags-prod22434.aspx

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Empty-Canvas-Duck-Cloth-Bag-10_pk/productinfo/SHOTBAG/

You can also take old socks or the legs from a pair of jeans to make your own. You can use duct tape if you can't sew.

That is a great idea about jean legs :thumbsup:

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    That idea came from Ed Shell when I took his long range classes. Sometimes you can't buy a rear bag that fits exactly, so you can build your own.

Do you use lead shot instead of sand then? Seems like sand would leave dust all over the place through cloth.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    Do you use lead shot instead of sand then? Seems like sand would leave dust all over the place through cloth.

I don't think sand would go through denim. However it if does, you can experiment with things like wheat, rice, or polly fill beads. I guess it depends on the use. For rear bags I like a little bit of squish factor so the stock can sink into the bag and be supported.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I don't think sand would go through denim. However it if does, you can experiment with things like wheat, rice, or polly fill beads. I guess it depends on the use. For rear bags I like a little bit of squish factor so the stock can sink into the bag and be supported.

Or black beans / deer corn.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    For those using rice, wheat, corn, beans, etc. Don't get your bags wet. :D

I use sand or poly fill.

scout6

Sep 28, 2016
    Ceciltucky
    We used our army green socks filled with popcorn. Replaced the corn after field ops if needed due to moisture. Sand didn't give enough movement or required too much pressure to do small manipulations for the rear bag. The roundness of the popcorn made for easy pressure micro movements. Airsoft BB's would probably be a good thing these days in place of the popcorn. If we had that back in the day, would have been better for moist / wet environments.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Put the sand(any filler)in a plastic bag first

^^^^^This.

Back in the day, I used "Zip Lock" Freezer Bags, and partially filled them with dried (in the oven) play sand. Sand was cheap. $2.00 for a 50 lb bag.

Keyword...... DRIED. (Spread the sand out in a deep tray and dry it in the oven at 200° (stirring every once-in-a while).
    Let the sand cool, then pour into the Zip Lock bag, and squeeze out all of the air.

Empty shot bags held the sand/zip lock bag, then the open end of the shot bag was sewn shut with #20 monofilament (Berkley Trilene).

These lasted several years, until I loaned mine to the son of a club member.
    He decided that he needed 'em more than I did, and moved away, with the bags and two .50 cal. ammo cans I kept them stored in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom